mapserver error

12

mapserver error

Lee Keel
Hello list.  I am having a problem and it is beginning to look like mapserver is behind it somehow.  I am using ms4w 2.2.6 to render postgres data to openlayers.  Mapserver is configured to use IIS\CGI instead of apache.  I am actually having 2 problems, but I am not sure that they are not related.  One problem is that sometimes the server just isn't returning any data for different layers to OpenLayers.  I have talked extensively with the OL guys and have come back to the fact that if I take the URL that is requesting the information from mapserver, then I get: "The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers."  The most consistent way I can reproduce this is to zoom in real close.  The second problem I am having is that when I am getting layer images back, they are blurred on the bottom portion.  It looks like someone took a cloth and just wiped a whiteboard.

I am about 5 days late on a deadline to have this up and running, so I am open to try any suggestions that someone may have.

Thanks in advance,
Lee

Re: mapserver error

Nolte, Tim
One quick thought that I have since you say that a layer image is
blurred on the bottom portion is that you have FORMATOPTION INTERLACE=ON
set. This turns on interlacing and sometimes I see that it takes a few
seconds on my mapserver to fully render the image. If you want to
prevent this blurring turn that setting off in your Mapfile.

----
Timothy J Nolte - [hidden email]
Associate Network Planning Engineer

iPCS Wireless, Inc.
4717 Broadmoor Ave, Suite G
Kentwood, MI 49512

Office: 616-656-5163
PCS:    616-706-2438
Fax:    616-554-6484
Web: www.ipcswirelessinc.com

Thanks in advance,
Lee

Re: mapserver error

Lee Keel
Timothy,

Here are the OUTPUTFORMAT options I have in my map file.  Do they look correct?

OUTPUTFORMAT
  NAME "png"
  MIMETYPE "image/png"
  DRIVER "GD/PNG"
  EXTENSION "png"
  IMAGEMODE PC256
  TRANSPARENT FALSE
  FORMATOPTION "INTERLACE=OFF"
 END

 OUTPUTFORMAT
  NAME "jpg"
  MIMETYPE "image/jpeg"
  DRIVER "GD/JPEG"
  EXTENSION "jpg"
        IMAGEMODE RGB
  TRANSPARENT FALSE
  FORMATOPTION "INTERLACE=OFF"
 END

 OUTPUTFORMAT
  NAME "gif"
  MIMETYPE "image/gif"
  DRIVER "GD/gif"
  EXTENSION "gif"
        IMAGEMODE PC256
  TRANSPARENT FALSE
  FORMATOPTION "INTERLACE=OFF"
 END

________________________________

Thanks in advance,
Lee

Re: mapserver error

Ed McNierney-4
Lee -

INTERLACE=ON is not "wrong".  Tim is pointing out that if you're viewing an interlaced output image, the first, alternating set of scanlines will be displayed and then your browser will start again at the top of the image, filling in the alternate interlacing lines.  This will cause the top of the image to appear complete while the bottom is "blurry".  You can see variations on these visual artifacts depending on your browser, and the effect is more pronounced over a slow connection.

But if the image still looks blurry at the bottom even after you're certain the image has been completely loaded, then this is not your problem.

It's hard to diagnose visual problems in text; can you either post the output image or (preferably) a public URL where the image can be viewed?

     - Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
Demand Media / TopoZone.com
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
[hidden email]
Phone: +1 (978) 251-4242

Thanks in advance,
Lee

Re: mapserver error

Christopher Schmidt-2
On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:13:33PM -0500, Ed McNierney wrote:
> Lee -
>
> INTERLACE=ON is not "wrong".  Tim is pointing out that if you're viewing an interlaced output image, the first, alternating set of scanlines will be displayed and then your browser will start again at the top of the image, filling in the alternate interlacing lines.  This will cause the top of the image to appear complete while the bottom is "blurry".  You can see variations on these visual artifacts depending on your browser, and the effect is more pronounced over a slow connection.
>
> But if the image still looks blurry at the bottom even after you're certain the image has been completely loaded, then this is not your problem.

Note that this will almost never be the case with OpenLayers because
OpenLayers hides images until they are completely loaded (for technical
reasons unrelated to this), so if someone reports this behavior in
OpenLayers, you can usually be sure it's not an interlacing thing.

> It's hard to diagnose visual problems in text; can you either post the output image or (preferably) a public URL where the image can be viewed?

There is a 'bmp' attached to
http://openlayers.org/pipermail/users/2008-January/004506.html which
might be the one.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta

Re: mapserver error

Ed McNierney-4
Christopher -

Thanks; it was not obvious to me that the second problem was also seen in the OpenLayers application.  The image on the OpenLayers discussion seems to indicate a MapServer crash or other failure, as you've already suggested there.

Lee, I think you should ignore the "blurry" problem for now and focus exclusively on:

" I take the URL that is requesting the information from mapserver, then I get: "The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers." "

You seem to be building on quicksand, and if you don't fix the foundation there's no point in trying to figure out why the pictures on the walls don't hang straight.

If you can post details about the URL and the error we might be able to try to help debug.  Looking for debug and Web server logs can also be helpful to understand why the CGI failed, as is running mapserv from the command line.

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
Demand Media / TopoZone.com
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
[hidden email]
Phone: +1 (978) 251-4242
On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:13:33PM -0500, Ed McNierney wrote:
> Lee -
>
> INTERLACE=ON is not "wrong".  Tim is pointing out that if you're viewing an interlaced output image, the first, alternating set of scanlines will be displayed and then your browser will start again at the top of the image, filling in the alternate interlacing lines.  This will cause the top of the image to appear complete while the bottom is "blurry".  You can see variations on these visual artifacts depending on your browser, and the effect is more pronounced over a slow connection.
>
> But if the image still looks blurry at the bottom even after you're certain the image has been completely loaded, then this is not your problem.

Note that this will almost never be the case with OpenLayers because
OpenLayers hides images until they are completely loaded (for technical
reasons unrelated to this), so if someone reports this behavior in
OpenLayers, you can usually be sure it's not an interlacing thing.

> It's hard to diagnose visual problems in text; can you either post the output image or (preferably) a public URL where the image can be viewed?

There is a 'bmp' attached to
http://openlayers.org/pipermail/users/2008-January/004506.html which
might be the one.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta

Re: mapserver error

Lee Keel
You can view the blurring problem at: http://dev.uai.com:28080/public/blur

________________________________

Thanks in advance,
Lee

Re: mapserver error

Lee Keel
sorry, I hit enter before I meant to....

You can view the blurring problem at: <http://dev.uai.com:28080/public/blur> http://dev.uai.com:28080/public/blur <http://dev.uai.com:28080/public/blur.html> .html

________________________________

Thanks in advance,
Lee

Re: mapserver error

Lee Keel
Sorry, I didn't get this email until I sent the last one.  I know everyone must think I am total moron...  Sorry!

I absolutely agree that I am on quick sand!!!  But even worse, I am desperately trying to figure out how the ground turned into quick sand.

Here are 2 urls at the exact same zoom level.  You will not be able to connect to these urls because they are not exposed to the internet.  This is strictly an intranet site.  Below are the corresponding layers from the mapfile as well.  Thanks again for all this help.  Sorry I am such a novice on this.

This one works:
http://webserver/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/mapserver/panamacity/gas.map&LAYERS=centerlines&TRANSPARENT=true&FORMAT=image%2Fgif&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_inimage&SRS=EPSG%3A2238&BBOX=1599333.552523125,442498.63191875,1600908.786898125,443255.9561375&WIDTH=1144&HEIGHT=550 <http://webserver/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/mapserver/panamacity/gas.map&LAYERS=centerlines&TRANSPARENT=true&FORMAT=image%2Fgif&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_inimage&SRS=EPSG%3A2238&BBOX=1599333.552523125,442498.63191875,1600908.786898125,443255.9561375&WIDTH=1144&HEIGHT=550>

This one returns error:
http://webserver/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/mapserver/panamacity/gas.map&LAYERS=main&TRANSPARENT=true&FORMAT=image%2Fgif&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_inimage&SRS=EPSG%3A2238&BBOX=1599333.552523125,442498.63191875,1600908.786898125,443255.9561375&WIDTH=1144&HEIGHT=550 <http://webserver/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/mapserver/panamacity/gas.map&LAYERS=main&TRANSPARENT=true&FORMAT=image%2Fgif&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_inimage&SRS=EPSG%3A2238&BBOX=1599333.552523125,442498.63191875,1600908.786898125,443255.9561375&WIDTH=1144&HEIGHT=550>

Here is the layer for the working URL:
 LAYER
  NAME "centerlines"
  STATUS ON
  CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
  CONNECTION "user=mapreader dbname=panamacity20 host=pgs-1giswebdb"
  DATA "the_geom from vcenterlines"
  PROCESSING "CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER"
  METADATA
   "wms_group_title" "centerlines"
  END
  PROJECTION
   "init=epsg:2238"
  END
  TYPE Line
  CLASS
   MAXSCALE 20000
   TEXT ([st_name])
   STYLE
    SYMBOL "circle"
    SIZE 3
    COLOR 0 0 0
   END
   STYLE
    SYMBOL "circle"
    SIZE 1
    COLOR 255 255 255
   END
   LABEL
    COLOR 0 0 0
    OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 255
    TYPE TRUETYPE
    ANGLE FOLLOW
    FONT arial
    SIZE 7
    #ANTIALIAS TRUE
    POSITION CC
    MINDISTANCE 50
    BUFFER 50
   END
  END
 END

Here is the layer for the non-working URL:
 LAYER
  NAME "main"
  GROUP "gas_theme"
  CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
  CONNECTION "user=mapreader dbname=panamacity20 host=pgs-1giswebdb"
  DATA "the_geom from main"
  PROCESSING "CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER"
  METADATA
   "wms_group_title" "main"
  END
  PROJECTION
   "init=epsg:2238"
  END
  STATUS ON
  TYPE LINE

  CLASS
   MAXSCALE 250000
   STYLE
    SYMBOL "circle"
    SIZE 3
    COLOR 255 0 0
   END
  END
 END

________________________________

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:13:33PM -0500, Ed McNierney wrote:
> Lee -
>
> INTERLACE=ON is not "wrong".  Tim is pointing out that if you're viewing an interlaced output image, the first, alternating set of scanlines will be displayed and then your browser will start again at the top of the image, filling in the alternate interlacing lines.  This will cause the top of the image to appear complete while the bottom is "blurry".  You can see variations on these visual artifacts depending on your browser, and the effect is more pronounced over a slow connection.
>
> But if the image still looks blurry at the bottom even after you're certain the image has been completely loaded, then this is not your problem.

Note that this will almost never be the case with OpenLayers because
OpenLayers hides images until they are completely loaded (for technical
reasons unrelated to this), so if someone reports this behavior in
OpenLayers, you can usually be sure it's not an interlacing thing.

> It's hard to diagnose visual problems in text; can you either post the output image or (preferably) a public URL where the image can be viewed?

There is a 'bmp' attached to
http://openlayers.org/pipermail/users/2008-January/004506.html which
might be the one.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta

Re: mapserver error

Ed McNierney-4
Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] mapserver error

Lee –

Thanks; that’s helpful.  But I’d like to reduce the number of variables here.  Are you saying that any request that contains the layer “main” will fail?  Or will a request for that layer work sometimes and fail sometimes?  I got the impression it was the latter and was scale-dependent (or seemed to be).  If that’s the case, can you provide a LAYERS=main URL that does work, and one that does not?

-          Ed

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:13:33PM -0500, Ed McNierney wrote:
> Lee -
>
> INTERLACE=ON is not "wrong".  Tim is pointing out that if you're viewing an interlaced output image, the first, alternating set of scanlines will be displayed and then your browser will start again at the top of the image, filling in the alternate interlacing lines.  This will cause the top of the image to appear complete while the bottom is "blurry".  You can see variations on these visual artifacts depending on your browser, and the effect is more pronounced over a slow connection.
>
> But if the image still looks blurry at the bottom even after you're certain the image has been completely loaded, then this is not your problem.

Note that this will almost never be the case with OpenLayers because
OpenLayers hides images until they are completely loaded (for technical
reasons unrelated to this), so if someone reports this behavior in
OpenLayers, you can usually be sure it's not an interlacing thing.

> It's hard to diagnose visual problems in text; can you either post the output image or (preferably) a public URL where the image can be viewed?

There is a 'bmp' attached to
http://openlayers.org/pipermail/users/2008-January/004506.html which
might be the one.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta

Re: mapserver error

Fawcett, David (MNIT)
I think that you were being a little subtle when you said that the image
was blurred...

It looks like someone threw up the red roads layer!  This definitely
looks like a bug, not a bad output setting.

David.

Re: mapserver error

Lee Keel
Here is a url for main that does work

http://webserver/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/mapserver/panamacity/gas.map&LAYERS=main&TRANSPARENT=true&FORMAT=image%2Fgif&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_inimage&SRS=EPSG%3A2238&BBOX=1604190.7546715624,450407.85066875,1616792.6296715624,456466.44441875&WIDTH=1144&HEIGHT=550

________________________________

Thanks; that's helpful.  But I'd like to reduce the number of variables here.  Are you saying that any request that contains the layer "main" will fail?  Or will a request for that layer work sometimes and fail sometimes?  I got the impression it was the latter and was scale-dependent (or seemed to be).  If that's the case, can you provide a LAYERS=main URL that does work, and one that does not?

-          Ed

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:13:33PM -0500, Ed McNierney wrote:
> Lee -
>
> INTERLACE=ON is not "wrong".  Tim is pointing out that if you're viewing an interlaced output image, the first, alternating set of scanlines will be displayed and then your browser will start again at the top of the image, filling in the alternate interlacing lines.  This will cause the top of the image to appear complete while the bottom is "blurry".  You can see variations on these visual artifacts depending on your browser, and the effect is more pronounced over a slow connection.
>
> But if the image still looks blurry at the bottom even after you're certain the image has been completely loaded, then this is not your problem.

Note that this will almost never be the case with OpenLayers because
OpenLayers hides images until they are completely loaded (for technical
reasons unrelated to this), so if someone reports this behavior in
OpenLayers, you can usually be sure it's not an interlacing thing.

> It's hard to diagnose visual problems in text; can you either post the output image or (preferably) a public URL where the image can be viewed?

There is a 'bmp' attached to
http://openlayers.org/pipermail/users/2008-January/004506.html which
might be the one.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta

Re: mapserver error

Lee Keel

________________________________

I have looked all over the place and can't seem to find any logs that are getting updated.  Can anyone point me to common locations for logs for the CGI app?

Thanks,
Lee

Re: mapserver error

tbonfort
strange...
what version of mapserver are you using?
can you (temporarily) turn off the angle follow of your labels and
report if you're still having the same output problems

thomas

On Jan 16, 2008 8:03 PM, Lee Keel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> sorry, I hit enter before I meant to....
>
> You can view the blurring problem at: <http://dev.uai.com:28080/public/blur> http://dev.uai.com:28080/public/blur <http://dev.uai.com:28080/public/blur.html> .html
>

> ________________________________

Re: mapserver error

Lee Keel
I am using ms4w 2.2.6.
And commenting out ANGLE FOLLOW did not resolve either problem.

-LK

________________________________

what version of mapserver are you using?
can you (temporarily) turn off the angle follow of your labels and
report if you're still having the same output problems

thomas

On Jan 16, 2008 8:03 PM, Lee Keel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> sorry, I hit enter before I meant to....
>
> You can view the blurring problem at: <http://dev.uai.com:28080/public/blur> http://dev.uai.com:28080/public/blur <http://dev.uai.com:28080/public/blur.html> .html
>

> ________________________________

Re: mapserver error

Lee Keel
Anyone else got a thought here?  Or can tell me where to check the debug logs?  I have turned DEBUG 5 in my map file but there is nothing in the log file other than "...... normal execution".

Thanks in advance,
LK

________________________________

what version of mapserver are you using?
can you (temporarily) turn off the angle follow of your labels and
report if you're still having the same output problems

thomas

On Jan 16, 2008 8:03 PM, Lee Keel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> sorry, I hit enter before I meant to....
>
> You can view the blurring problem at: <http://dev.uai.com:28080/public/blur> http://dev.uai.com:28080/public/blur <http://dev.uai.com:28080/public/blur.html> .html
>

> ________________________________

Re: mapserver error

Steve Lime
Shp2img works ok on the mapfile? Does apache work or is this IIS only?

>>> On 1/17/2008 at 3:04 PM, in message
<[hidden email]>,
Lee Keel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone else got a thought here?  Or can tell me where to check the debug
> logs?  I have turned DEBUG 5 in my map file but there is nothing in the log
> file other than "...... normal execution".
>
> Thanks in advance,
> LK
>
> ________________________________

Re: mapserver error

Lee Keel
Steve,
I can't get shp2img to work.  It throws an error for "shared connection not available".  I have tried this with 2 different bounding boxes (one that works and one that doesn't) and I get the same results.  Any suggestions on this?

This is an IIS only solution.  Their sys admins have something serious against Apache...  For some reason.  My guess is lack of knowledge.

-LK

________________________________

Lee Keel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone else got a thought here?  Or can tell me where to check the debug
> logs?  I have turned DEBUG 5 in my map file but there is nothing in the log
> file other than "...... normal execution".
>
> Thanks in advance,
> LK
>
> ________________________________

Re: mapserver error

Greg Evensen
I'm not sure if this is it, but a number of years ago, I had a PC
running a RIP application give similar results. It turned out to
be a bad external cache chip. It still baffles me as to why it only
affected image data, and not crash the computer.

Greg

Lee Keel wrote:
Anyone else got a thought here?  Or can tell me where to check the debug logs?  I have turned DEBUG 5 in my map file but there is nothing in the log file other than "...... normal execution".

Thanks in advance,
LK

________________________________

Re: mapserver error

Ed McNierney-4
Lee -

OK, here's some hypothesizing, which is about the best we can do from
afar.

Your map request works for certain bounding boxes, but not for others.
It appears to both reliably and repeatedly work on the good bounding
boxes, and reliably and repeatably fail on the bad ones.  The layer is a
PostgreSQL layer, so each map-rendering request produces a database
query to retrieve data.

I have never tried DEBUG logging to see if reports database queries, but
if you have control over the database server you can turn on query
logging in the postgresql.conf file.  As a fallback you can look at the
map bounding box and synthesize the queries by hand, but that is prone
to error.

Something should be different between the query that results in a good
map and the query that results in a bad map.  Do both queries actually
work?  Does the data returned look different in any notable way?  What
happens?

BTW, what does "mapserv -v" from the command line return?

     - Ed

Shp2img works ok on the mapfile? Does apache work or is this IIS only?

>>> On 1/17/2008 at 3:04 PM, in message
<[hidden email]
et>,
Lee Keel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone else got a thought here?  Or can tell me where to check the
debug
> logs?  I have turned DEBUG 5 in my map file but there is nothing in
the log

> file other than "...... normal execution".
>
> Thanks in advance,
> LK

12