Quantcast

mapserver & mysql

Nelson Guda
Hi all,

We're working on a map-based database, and the server we have to work
with only has support for mysql.  Is there going to be support for
mysql anytime soon?  We're just plotting points, but we need to have
a query statement in the mapfile layer which can be customized with
each url call.  Is that possible now, like it is with postgre?

thanks,
nelson

Re: mapserver & mysql

Dylan Keon-3
On 11/07/2006 03:16 PM, Nelson Guda wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're working on a map-based database, and the server we have to work
> with only has support for mysql.  Is there going to be support for mysql
> anytime soon?  We're just plotting points, but we need to have a query
> statement in the mapfile layer which can be customized with each url
> call.  Is that possible now, like it is with postgre?

Hi Nelson,

It is not possible to embed a MySQL query in a mapfile layer definition,
such as with PostgreSQL/PostGIS, but you can still do some fancy dynamic
mapping tricks.  Are you using the mapserv CGI or some form of MapScript
(PHP, Perl, etc.)?  With MapScript and the associated scripting language
you could modify your query dynamically and access information stored in
any common RDBMS.  Such as using lon/lat coordinates extracted from
MySQL to dynamically generate and render point shapes on your map.

--Dylan

Re: mapserver & mysql

Dylan Keon-3
On 11/07/2006 04:40 PM, Nelson Guda wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2006, at 5:39 PM, Dylan Keon wrote:
>
>> On 11/07/2006 03:16 PM, Nelson Guda wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> We're working on a map-based database, and the server we have to work
>>> with only has support for mysql.  Is there going to be support for
>>> mysql anytime soon?  We're just plotting points, but we need to have
>>> a query statement in the mapfile layer which can be customized with
>>> each url call.  Is that possible now, like it is with postgre?
>>
>> Hi Nelson,
>>
>> It is not possible to embed a MySQL query in a mapfile layer
>> definition, such as with PostgreSQL/PostGIS, but you can still do some
>> fancy dynamic mapping tricks.  Are you using the mapserv CGI or some
>> form of MapScript (PHP, Perl, etc.)?  With MapScript and the
>> associated scripting language you could modify your query dynamically
>> and access information stored in any common RDBMS.  Such as using
>> lon/lat coordinates extracted from MySQL to dynamically generate and
>> render point shapes on your map.
>>
>> --Dylan
 >
 >
> Hi Dylan,  thanx for the quick reply.
>
> I've worked with mapserv cgi, but would be willing to learn mapscript to
> do something as you are suggesting.  Do you have any particular
> suggestions and recommendations for associated references?  We are using
> the mapserver as a wms to generate tiles that will overlay a google map.
>
> many thanks,
> nelson

Hi Nelson,

You're welcome.  I would highly recommend subscribing to the
mapserver-users list, which sees much more traffic than our
mapserver-west list.  Once you're subscribed you can search the list
archives, where you should find quite a few examples in past messages.

It doesn't take too much effort to "learn" MapScript per se - it's more
an issue of whether you have experience in PHP, Perl, or any of the
other languages that can be used to access the MapScript functions.

Cheers,
Dylan

Re: mapserver & mysql

Hal Mueller-3