mapcache: restricted extent and ruleset to limit cache area seems ineffective

mapcache: restricted extent and ruleset to limit cache area seems ineffective

Mark  Volz

Hello,

I am in the process of limiting the cached area in mapcache.  I am having trouble with both the restricted_extent and ruleset parameters.  I first started by using restricted_extent such as “<grid restricted_extent="435567 98889 568247 259687">LyonCC</grid>”.  That parameter seemed to work.  However mapcache returned 404 errors for any tiles outside of the restricted extent.  Next I tried to use rulesets instead.  The rulesets seem to have no effect, and new tiles were getting generated outside of the visibility extent.

Question 1:  When we use restricted extents on a grid should MapCache return a transparent tile, white tile, or a 404 error?  Can we control what it returns?

Question 2:  Do I have my ruleset configured appropriately?

<tileset name="LyonBaseMap">

<grid ruleset="CountyBuffer">LyonCC</grid>

</tileset>

<ruleset name="CountyBuffer">

<rule zoom_level="1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11"><!—Do I need to include zoom levels?-->

<visibility>

<extent>435567 98889 568247 259687</extent>

</visibility>

</rule>

</ruleset>

Thank You!

Sincerely,

Mark Volz, GISP

Re: mapcache: restricted extent and ruleset to limit cache area seems ineffective

Travis Kirstine
You can set the
<errors>empty_img</errors>
To return a blank tile.  I believe the status is still 404 - I don't think you can control this

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 at 15:44, Mark Volz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I am still having issues restricting the extent in my mapcache area using rulesets.  I created a rule for all of my zoom levels that has a limited visibility extent.  However, Mapcache is still returning imagery for the entire grid area even though I created a rule that should only display a limited extent.  I am still not sure why the visibility extent rule seems ineffective.

Thanks!

[...]

Lime, Steve D (MNIT)

Is it returning a blank tile? If so that might be expected. I thought mapcache would return a blank tile for requests outside the grid extent.

Re: mapcache: restricted extent and ruleset to limit cache area seems ineffective

TC Haddad

I’ve had success setting a mask at the Mapserver level, and MapCache has not problem only rendering imagery to the edge of whatever irregular shape you need to use (e.g. watershed or county boundary). So maybe try that?

However It’s true, MapCache will still return blank tiles outside the mask area.

Tanya

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 1:36 PM Mark Volz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Steve,
Mapcache is unexpectedly generating and returning a new air photo image outside of the visibility extent.

Thank You!
Sincerely,
Mark Volz

Message: 1