mapbuilder's examples

claire tondriaux

hey,

the mapbuilder's examples given at the geoserver homepage don't work
anymore. Is it just a problem from me or is it normal?
Tanks,

Claire

Re: mapbuilder's examples

Chris Holmes-2
With RC1 they require you to install JAI Java Advanced Imaging.  With
RC2 they should work right away.  What appears to be the problem?

Quoting claire tondriaux <[hidden email]>:

> hey,
>
> the mapbuilder's examples given at the geoserver homepage don't work
> anymore. Is it just a problem from me or is it normal?
> Tanks,
>
> Claire

Re: mapbuilder's examples

dblasby
Claire,

The Mapbuilder demo is working fine for me.  Are you using
Geoserver-1.3.0 RC2?

What, exactly, isnt working.

dave

How to create a custom WMS Server which integrates with existing (non-GIS) applicatoin

Christopher Cobb-2
Hello all,

We would like to create a Web Map Server which visualizes data from an
existing application.  This application stores lats and longs for various
locations and associated pieces of information related to those locations in
relational a database.  But it is not one of the supported GeoServer
datastores.  And I don't think I would call it a GIS database exactly.

I see two possible approaches:

1) Try to replicate the data from our database into one of the datastores
supported by GeoServer (re-hosting the data in a new database is not really
an option).
2) Write custom code which accesses our database and makes it look GIS-ish
or perhaps directly create the needed images -- and somehow wedge this code
into GeoServer.

Has anyone here done this sort of thing?

I favor the second approach mainly because I am not that familiar with GIS
databases and I'm not certain how difficult/reliable a replication mechanism
would be from our database (MS SQL Server) to, e.g., PostGIS.  And also
because I feel like we could easily write the custom code we needed.

We're basically talking about dots or icons representing locations and/or
the types of things at those locations, and different types of lines
representing movement between those locations.

We anticipate that a WMS 'layer' will be associated with a certain group of
users of the application.  That is, the data entered by one group will be
available via one layer.  That entered via another group will be available
via another layer.  Perhaps there will actually be several layers per group,
but this relationship would be fixed.  But these groups are dynamic and new
ones can be added at any time.    So this would presumably mean that our
capabilities would have to be dynamic.

I am currently looking at the GeoTools but have not yet grokked it all.  To
what extent would our solution need to be GeoTools-centric?

Anyone care to share some notions as to whether this is feasible with
GeoServer and what approach would make the most sense? Is there a place in
GeoServer where we could best wedge our code in?  How about a nice
plugin-architecture??

:)

cc

Attention:
except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized
to state them to be the views of any such entity. The information
contained in this message and or attachments is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material.  If you received this in error, please
contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy
any copies.

Re: How to create a custom WMS Server which integrates with existing (non-GIS) applicatoin

Chris Holmes-2
On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Chris Cobb wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We would like to create a Web Map Server which visualizes data from an
> existing application.  This application stores lats and longs for various
> locations and associated pieces of information related to those locations in
> relational a database.  But it is not one of the supported GeoServer
> datastores.  And I don't think I would call it a GIS database exactly.
>
> I see two possible approaches:
>
> 1) Try to replicate the data from our database into one of the datastores
> supported by GeoServer (re-hosting the data in a new database is not really
> an option).
> 2) Write custom code which accesses our database and makes it look GIS-ish
> or perhaps directly create the needed images -- and somehow wedge this code
> into GeoServer.
>
> Has anyone here done this sort of thing?
Many of the DataStore's in GeoTools are a result of just this sort of
need.

> I favor the second approach mainly because I am not that familiar with GIS
> databases and I'm not certain how difficult/reliable a replication mechanism
> would be from our database (MS SQL Server) to, e.g., PostGIS.  And also
> because I feel like we could easily write the custom code we needed.
>
> We're basically talking about dots or icons representing locations and/or
> the types of things at those locations, and different types of lines
> representing movement between those locations.
>
> We anticipate that a WMS 'layer' will be associated with a certain group of
> users of the application.  That is, the data entered by one group will be
> available via one layer.  That entered via another group will be available
> via another layer.  Perhaps there will actually be several layers per group,
> but this relationship would be fixed.  But these groups are dynamic and new
> ones can be added at any time.    So this would presumably mean that our
> capabilities would have to be dynamic.
This capability may be a bit lacking, but should be possible, and indeed
Alessio is working on an 'ingestion engine' that may help on this.  Though
I'm nots ure I understand your use case exactly, so I couldn't say for
sure.

> I am currently looking at the GeoTools but have not yet grokked it all.  To
> what extent would our solution need to be GeoTools-centric?
>
> Anyone care to share some notions as to whether this is feasible with
> GeoServer and what approach would make the most sense? Is there a place in
> GeoServer where we could best wedge our code in?  How about a nice
> plugin-architecture??
No problem ;)  All our data formats plug right in.  You just have to
implement the relevant classes in GeoTools.  Which is to say, your
solution will be very goetools-centric.  Just to add the data format there
should be no additional code in GeoServer, just put the jar in the libs
directory, and it should even show up in the web admin gui.  For
information on doing this check: http://geotools.org/DataStore+Walkthrough
It's out of date, targeted at 2.0, but the basics should be similar.
There is good abstract support, and then a lot of room for optimizations.
But yes, GeoServer was designed to support as many data formats as
possible, and to make it easy to slot new ones in.  GeoTools DataStore
classes were designed to make it as easy as possible to write a new data
format (though we now know ways to make it easier).  If you're using
MS-SQL you can probably make use of the JDBC DataStore abstract classes.
And also check out the geometryless module - it has a generic concrete
JDBC class, and also has one with x, y columns.

best regards,

Chris

> :)
>
> cc

> Attention:
> except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized
> to state them to be the views of any such entity. The information
> contained in this message and or attachments is intended only for the
> person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
> and/or privileged material.  If you received this in error, please
> contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy
> any copies.

RE: How to create a custom WMS Server which integrates with existing (non-GIS) applicatoin

Christopher Cobb-2
Thanks.  I've added these things to my todo list:

http://geotools.org/DataStore+Walkthrough
JDBC DataStore abstract classes
the geometryless module

Let me know if you think of anything else.

cc

P.S.  Sorry to top post.  Anyone know how to configure Outlook so that it
does mailing-list-friendly message quoting?