lost ability to edit metadata in GN3.2.1

tac

lost ability to edit metadata in GN3.2.1

tac
I was changing to a standalone Jetty application with war files, and I
have lost the ability to edit metadata records within GeoNetwork.  I can
query, upload metadata, download data and so on fine.  I can also
harvest MEF data to another server - those records subsequently validate.

I was watching the GeoNetwork log (snippet below), and GN throws an
error exactly when I request an edit.  The result is that the edit
window opens, there are the usual headings along the top and right side,
but no content (otherwise completely blank).  There are no display
formatting choices from the dropdown 'eye'.

I completely replaced the GN application with the same result, so I am
suspecting something in my PostGIS database content.

Any suggestions?

2017-06-01 16:51:38,982 ERROR [jeeves] - Error occurred within a transaction
javax.xml.transform.TransformerConfigurationException: Failed to compile
stylesheet. 1 error detected.
         at
net.sf.saxon.PreparedStylesheet.prepare(PreparedStylesheet.java:176)
         at
net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl.newTemplates(TransformerFactoryImpl.java:139)
         at
de.fzi.dbs.xml.transform.CachingTransformerFactory.newTransformer(CachingTransformerFactory.java:120)
         at
de.fzi.dbs.xml.transform.CachingTransformerFactory.newTransformer(CachingTransformerFactory.java:79)
         at org.fao.geonet.utils.Xml.transform(Xml.java:486)
         at org.fao.geonet.utils.Xml.transform(Xml.java:364)
         at
org.fao.geonet.api.records.editing.MetadataEditingApi.buildEditorForm(MetadataEditingApi.java:698)
         at
org.fao.geonet.api.records.editing.MetadataEditingApi.startEditing(MetadataEditingApi.java:162)
         at
org.fao.geonet.api.records.editing.MetadataEditingApi$$FastClassBySpringCGLIB$$363e745.invoke(<generated>)
         at
org.springframework.cglib.proxy.MethodProxy.invoke(MethodProxy.java:204)
         at
org.springframework.aop.framework.CglibAopProxy$CglibMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(CglibAopProxy.java:720)
         at
org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:157)
         at
org.springframework.security.access.intercept.aopalliance.MethodSecurityInterceptor.invoke(MethodSecurityInterceptor.java:64)
         at
org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)
         at
org.springframework.aop.framework.CglibAopProxy$DynamicAdvisedInterceptor.intercept(CglibAopProxy.java:655)
         at
org.fao.geonet.api.records.editing.MetadataEditingApi$$EnhancerBySpringCGLIB$$b050284.startEditing(<generated>)
         at
         at

*

---
tac

Re: lost ability to edit metadata in GN3.2.1

tac
For closure, Here is what I did.  I only had about 500 records, so I downloaded them in groups of 20.  Most of the metadata records had attached data files, so I kept hitting the 100MB limit with larger groups.  I then re-installed everything, and I had regained the ability to edit my records.

However, for ten of the groups the MEFs would not upload, GN complaining of a 0x0 byte.  I took the groups of 20 records apart, and isolated it to a single mef in each case.  When I checked the metadata with Kernow/Saxon, the record verified.  Using the UltraEdit text editor in hex mode revealed nothing. The independent metadata record would load into GeoNetwork, but again the edit screen was blank.  Finally, I used a cut-paste from the ten non-functional metadata file contents into a free java metadata writer (http://www.bio.gc.ca/jmw2/index-en.php), created  new records and then the MEFs, and everything loaded and performed fine.

I could have benefited from a way to download the groups of MEFs directly onto a location on the GeoNetwork server but outside of GN.  My download speed to the desktop is great, but my upload speed was a significant handicap.  The so-called GN Backup folder could be useful for this situation.