looking for OS softwre to stitch aerial photos automatically

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

looking for OS softwre to stitch aerial photos automatically

Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V.
Hi,

does anybody know a open source tool to stitch a bunch of aerial
photographs automatically by detecting similar pixelareas?
I know that GRASS is pretty good in processing images, but I there's no
funtion to patch a bunch of aerial photos by detecting similarities in
overlapping areas, I guess.
Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Marco

--
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FOSSGIS e.V.
die unabhängige Hilfe bei freier GIS-Software und freien Geodaten
www.fossgis.de

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] looking for OS softwre to stitch aerial photos automatically

Christopher Schmidt
On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:58:30PM +0100, Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anybody know a open source tool to stitch a bunch of aerial
> photographs automatically by detecting similar pixelareas?
> I know that GRASS is pretty good in processing images, but I there's no
> funtion to patch a bunch of aerial photos by detecting similarities in
> overlapping areas, I guess.
> Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Sounds like the kind of thing I'd expect ossim to have, but I never got it
to work.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer
_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] looking for OS softwre to stitch aerial photos automatically

Tim Waters (chippy)
In reply to this post by Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V.
I'm aware of some semi-automatic stitching of areal imagery using
Hugin http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Jeff has used it with video frames from a camera attached to a  kite:
http://unterbahn.com/2010/01/kite-video-generation-of-aerial-imagery/

And I'm very interested in using Hugin and other Panorama stiching
tools to help make cheap aerial imagery as one of the stages within
MapWarper.

Cheers,

Tim
http://thinkwhere.wordpress.com



2010/1/22 Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V. <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> does anybody know a open source tool to stitch a bunch of aerial
> photographs automatically by detecting similar pixelareas?
> I know that GRASS is pretty good in processing images, but I there's no
> funtion to patch a bunch of aerial photos by detecting similarities in
> overlapping areas, I guess.
> Hopefully, I'm wrong.
>
> Marco
>
> --
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> FOSSGIS e.V.
> die unabhängige Hilfe bei freier GIS-Software und freien Geodaten
> www.fossgis.de
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> _______________________________________________
> Discuss mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
>
_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] looking for OS softwre to stitch aerial photos automatically

Markus Neteler
In reply to this post by Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V.
On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V.
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anybody know a open source tool to stitch a bunch of aerial
> photographs automatically by detecting similar pixelareas?
> I know that GRASS is pretty good in processing images, but I there's no
> funtion to patch a bunch of aerial photos by detecting similarities in
> overlapping areas, I guess.
> Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Yep :) Well, to be honest, the module need (severe?) updating:
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Image_processing#Image_matching
-> i.points.auto

Cheers
Markus
_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] looking for OS softwre to stitch aerial photos automatically

Alex Mandel-2
In reply to this post by Tim Waters (chippy)
I've been using Hugin in an attempt to do this process. While the
control point generation works out ok (note there are some licensing
restrictions due to patents in all the current algorithms) the stitching
never comes out quite right because of hugin's insistence on warping to
a projection that assumes a camera mounted on a stationary tripod.

In discussions with some of the OSSIM team, they are interested in this
area but the current app does not do this. Other options that have come
up are OpenCv and Nasa Image Workbench but both of these are programming
libraries and would require c/c++ coding.

It would be great to collaborate on getting this implemented in an OSGeo
project. I know several researchers with a need for a tool that does this.

Thanks,
Alex


Tim Waters wrote:

> I'm aware of some semi-automatic stitching of areal imagery using
> Hugin http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
>
> Jeff has used it with video frames from a camera attached to a  kite:
> http://unterbahn.com/2010/01/kite-video-generation-of-aerial-imagery/
>
> And I'm very interested in using Hugin and other Panorama stiching
> tools to help make cheap aerial imagery as one of the stages within
> MapWarper.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tim
> http://thinkwhere.wordpress.com
>
>
>
> 2010/1/22 Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V. <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> does anybody know a open source tool to stitch a bunch of aerial
>> photographs automatically by detecting similar pixelareas?
>> I know that GRASS is pretty good in processing images, but I there's no
>> funtion to patch a bunch of aerial photos by detecting similarities in
>> overlapping areas, I guess.
>> Hopefully, I'm wrong.
>>
>> Marco
>>
>> --


_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] looking for OS softwre to stitch aerial photos automatically

mentaer
I am not sure what Opticks (opticks.org) can do by now really since I
checked it last time... but you may have a look.

If you find something can you report back? so I can update my FOS GIS
projects paper/map I am writing on.

The not complete image of the software map 2009 is here:
https://sourceforge.net/userapps/mediawiki/mentaer/index.php?title=FOS_GIS_Software_Map

stefan

Alex Mandel wrote:

> I've been using Hugin in an attempt to do this process. While the
> control point generation works out ok (note there are some licensing
> restrictions due to patents in all the current algorithms) the stitching
> never comes out quite right because of hugin's insistence on warping to
> a projection that assumes a camera mounted on a stationary tripod.
>
> In discussions with some of the OSSIM team, they are interested in this
> area but the current app does not do this. Other options that have come
> up are OpenCv and Nasa Image Workbench but both of these are programming
> libraries and would require c/c++ coding.
>
> It would be great to collaborate on getting this implemented in an OSGeo
> project. I know several researchers with a need for a tool that does this.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
>
> Tim Waters wrote:
>> I'm aware of some semi-automatic stitching of areal imagery using
>> Hugin http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Jeff has used it with video frames from a camera attached to a  kite:
>> http://unterbahn.com/2010/01/kite-video-generation-of-aerial-imagery/
>>
>> And I'm very interested in using Hugin and other Panorama stiching
>> tools to help make cheap aerial imagery as one of the stages within
>> MapWarper.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tim
>> http://thinkwhere.wordpress.com
>>
>>
>>
>> 2010/1/22 Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V. <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> does anybody know a open source tool to stitch a bunch of aerial
>>> photographs automatically by detecting similar pixelareas?
>>> I know that GRASS is pretty good in processing images, but I there's no
>>> funtion to patch a bunch of aerial photos by detecting similarities in
>>> overlapping areas, I guess.
>>> Hopefully, I'm wrong.
>>>
>>> Marco
>>>
>>> --
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Discuss mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
>
>
_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: [OSGeo-Discuss] looking for OS softwre to stitch aerial photosautomatically

Kip Streithorst
As an Opticks committer, I can say it does not do that out-of-the-box.

You could write something using our C++, Python or IDL interfaces.  We
have no current plans to add this capability, since the focus of Opticks
is MASINT and non-literal exploitation.

Kip

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Stefan Steiniger
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2010 2:12 PM
To: OSGeo Discussions
Subject: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] looking for OS softwre to stitch aerial
photosautomatically

I am not sure what Opticks (opticks.org) can do by now really since I
checked it last time... but you may have a look.

If you find something can you report back? so I can update my FOS GIS
projects paper/map I am writing on.

The not complete image of the software map 2009 is here:
https://sourceforge.net/userapps/mediawiki/mentaer/index.php?title=FOS_G
IS_Software_Map

stefan

Alex Mandel wrote:
> I've been using Hugin in an attempt to do this process. While the
> control point generation works out ok (note there are some licensing
> restrictions due to patents in all the current algorithms) the
stitching
> never comes out quite right because of hugin's insistence on warping
to
> a projection that assumes a camera mounted on a stationary tripod.
>
> In discussions with some of the OSSIM team, they are interested in
this
> area but the current app does not do this. Other options that have
come
> up are OpenCv and Nasa Image Workbench but both of these are
programming
> libraries and would require c/c++ coding.
>
> It would be great to collaborate on getting this implemented in an
OSGeo
> project. I know several researchers with a need for a tool that does
this.

>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
>
> Tim Waters wrote:
>> I'm aware of some semi-automatic stitching of areal imagery using
>> Hugin http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Jeff has used it with video frames from a camera attached to a  kite:
>> http://unterbahn.com/2010/01/kite-video-generation-of-aerial-imagery/
>>
>> And I'm very interested in using Hugin and other Panorama stiching
>> tools to help make cheap aerial imagery as one of the stages within
>> MapWarper.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tim
>> http://thinkwhere.wordpress.com
>>
>>
>>
>> 2010/1/22 Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V. <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> does anybody know a open source tool to stitch a bunch of aerial
>>> photographs automatically by detecting similar pixelareas?
>>> I know that GRASS is pretty good in processing images, but I there's
no
>>> funtion to patch a bunch of aerial photos by detecting similarities
in

>>> overlapping areas, I guess.
>>> Hopefully, I'm wrong.
>>>
>>> Marco
>>>
>>> --
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Discuss mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
>
>
_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss



This message and any enclosures are intended only for the addressee.  Please  
notify the sender by email if you are not the intended recipient.  If you are  
not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute this  
message or its contents or enclosures to any other person and any such actions  
may be unlawful.  Ball reserves the right to monitor and review all messages  
and enclosures sent to or from this email address.
_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] looking for OS softwre to stitch aerial photos automatically

Eduardo Kanegae
In reply to this post by Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V.
Check http://regima.dpi.inpe.br/ - AUTOMATIC IMAGE REGISTRATION AND
MOSAICKING SYSTEM

Eduardo Patto Kanegae
http://anthologis.com
http://blogdopatto.webmapit.com.br



On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V.
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anybody know a open source tool to stitch a bunch of aerial
> photographs automatically by detecting similar pixelareas?
> I know that GRASS is pretty good in processing images, but I there's no
> funtion to patch a bunch of aerial photos by detecting similarities in
> overlapping areas, I guess.
> Hopefully, I'm wrong.
>
> Marco
>
> --
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> FOSSGIS e.V.
> die unabhängige Hilfe bei freier GIS-Software und freien Geodaten
> www.fossgis.de
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> _______________________________________________
> Discuss mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
>



--
_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] looking for OS softwre to stitch aerial photos automatically

Tim Waters (chippy)
On 23 January 2010 13:36, Eduardo Kanegae <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Check http://regima.dpi.inpe.br/ - AUTOMATIC IMAGE REGISTRATION AND
> MOSAICKING SYSTEM

Not open source though, is it? And also can only be *used* for
"research or educational purposes only".

Maybe since they have last updated it in 2006 we should give them a
poke about freeing it up?

Tim


> Eduardo Patto Kanegae
> http://anthologis.com
> http://blogdopatto.webmapit.com.br
>
>
>
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V.
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> does anybody know a open source tool to stitch a bunch of aerial
>> photographs automatically by detecting similar pixelareas?
>> I know that GRASS is pretty good in processing images, but I there's no
>> funtion to patch a bunch of aerial photos by detecting similarities in
>> overlapping areas, I guess.
>> Hopefully, I'm wrong.
>>
>> Marco
>>
>> --
>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>
>> FOSSGIS e.V.
>> die unabhängige Hilfe bei freier GIS-Software und freien Geodaten
>> www.fossgis.de
>>
>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>> _______________________________________________
>> Discuss mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
>>
>
>
>
> --
> _______________________________________________
> Discuss mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
>
_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] looking for OS softwre to stitch aerial photos automatically

Lester Caine
Tim Waters wrote:
> On 23 January 2010 13:36, Eduardo Kanegae <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Check http://regima.dpi.inpe.br/ - AUTOMATIC IMAGE REGISTRATION AND
>> MOSAICKING SYSTEM
>
> Not open source though, is it? And also can only be *used* for
> "research or educational purposes only".
>
> Maybe since they have last updated it in 2006 we should give them a
> poke about freeing it up?

http://www.vextrasoft.com/rasterstitch.htm
Not open source, but also not very expensive. I ended up buying a copy since I
simply could not find an alternative. It works well for all the material I
stitch together.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
Contact - http://lsces.co.uk/wiki/?page=contact
L.S.Caine Electronic Services - http://lsces.co.uk
EnquirySolve - http://enquirysolve.com/
Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk//
Firebird - http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php
_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] looking for OS softwre to stitch aerial photos automatically

Dave Patton
In reply to this post by Alex Mandel-2
On 2010/01/22 9:38 AM, Alex Mandel wrote:

> In discussions with some of the OSSIM team, they are interested in
> this area but the current app does not do this. Other options that
> have come up are OpenCv and Nasa Image Workbench but both of these
> are programming libraries and would require c/c++ coding.

Although this isn't directly related to the end goal of achieving
geo-referenced aerial imagery via OS software, AutoStitch does a
great job of automatic panoramic image mosaicing:
http://www.autostitch.net/

The licensing info says "We are happy to hear from companies
interested in developing products using AutoStitch", so perhaps
a call from Tyler (who also happens to be in BC) to the office
at UBC would be appropriate, to see if there is any possibility
of collaboration between them and OSGeo to utilize their code
in an OSGeo-backed project.

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems
Victoria, B.C.

Degree Confluence Project:
Canadian Coordinator
Technical Coordinator
http://www.confluence.org/

Personal website:
Maps, GPS, etc.
http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/
_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss