limiting parallel requests

Imran Rajjad
Hi list,

Does anybody recall how total number of parallel requests globally against wms and gwc, were limited in the old GS 1.7.x. A few times I have encountered too many threads getting stuck due to no limit on client side, the new version supports it very nicely, but I recall the services.xml was used to do this in old version. Really appreciate if somebody remembers because the documentation has information on limiting the size and not the number of requests.

regards,

--
I.R

Re: limiting parallel requests

geowolf
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Imran Rajjad <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi list,

Does anybody recall how total number of parallel requests globally against wms and gwc, were limited in the old GS 1.7.x. A few times I have encountered too many threads getting stuck due to no limit on client side, the new version supports it very nicely, but I recall the services.xml was used to do this in old version. Really appreciate if somebody remembers because the documentation has information on limiting the size and not the number of requests.

In order to limit the number of parallel requests served by GeoServer one can use the control-flow extension,
but I don't believe it was available for GeoServer 1.7.x (not sure, 1.7.x is so old),
and GWC has never been affected by it, at least in stable versions, afaik in 2.2.x it is instead

Cheers
Andrea

--
Ing. Andrea Aime
GeoSolutions S.A.S.

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 0584 962313
mob:    +39 339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/GeoSolutionsIT
http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
http://twitter.com/geowolf

Re: limiting parallel requests

Imran Rajjad
Well it just happened that 2500 number of parallel requests landed on the integrated GWC , which also makes a getmap request further through a different channel on the same GS instance. This caused the container to slow down and show a pool of over 2000 stuck threads, however no exceptions at GS end.

regards,
Imran

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

phone: <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax:      <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
mob:    <a href="tel:%2B39%C2%A0339%208844549" value="+393398844549" target="_blank">+39 339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/GeoSolutionsIT
http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
http://twitter.com/geowolf

--
I.R

Re: limiting parallel requests

Gabriel Roldan
As Andrea mentioned, up until 2.2.x I don't think gwc was ever
affected by limits.
If you have 2000 stuck threads, does that mean that your servlet
container is open to that many threads? most of them have a bounded
thread pool, and usually limit it by default to 200 or so.

Now, on to a newer version of geoserver. In 2.1.x you can set the wms
limits with control-flow, and gwc tile requests that need to generate
tiles on demand will be bound to that. In 2.2.x you can even configure
control-flow limits for gwc itself.

If upgrading to a newer geoserver version is not an option for you,
then I would recommend decoupling gwc from geoserver, setting up a
standalone gwc instance on top of your 1.7.x geoserver. And use GWC
1.3-RC3 standalone. GWC has a back end (to the WMS) concurrency level
of 32 threads per layer. You can tune that on your wmsLayer
configuration through the "concurrency" wmsLayer config element
<http://geowebcache.org/schema/1.3.0/geowebcache.xsd>

Hope that helps,
Gabriel

Gabriel Roldan