licensing question: calling GRASS GIS modules via the grass.script API in an MIT/Apache licensed script ?

licensing question: calling GRASS GIS modules via the grass.script API in an MIT/Apache licensed script ?

Moritz Lennert
Hi,

We work with a company on a project where we use GRASS GIS to calculate
accessibility indicators. The main output we provide is a Python script
which calls GRASS GIS modules via the grass.script API. The company is
willing to make this script free software, but would like to license it
with a permissive license such as MIT or Apache.

I would think that calling GRASS GIS modules in a script does not
automatically imply the script has to be GPL, but what about the use of
the Python API ?

I would think that this case falls in the grey area described at [1] and
have tendency to think that MIT/Apache license would be allowed.

Does anyone have a more informed opinion ?

Moritz

[1] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation