libgeotiff 1.4.2RC1 ready for testing

Even Rouault-2
Hi,

As suggested by Bas, as it seems I authored most of the changes since 1.4.1,
I've prepared a release candidate for libgeotiff 1.4.2 :

http://download.osgeo.org/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.4.2RC1.tar.gz
http://download.osgeo.org/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.4.2RC1.zip

Please test and report. I've just tested that GDAL builds and runs fine against
it. I'll call for a vote within ~1 week if nothing serious pops up.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: libgeotiff 1.4.2RC1 ready for testing

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
Hi Even,

Many thanks for the release candidate!

On 08/11/2016 03:29 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Please test and report. I've just tested that GDAL builds and runs fine against
> it. I'll call for a vote within ~1 week if nothing serious pops up.

Can you also add the 1.4.x versions to Trac?

I've recently upstreamed some patches from the Debian package that I'd
like to see included in the next release, but they could only be filed
for version 1.3.0:

 https://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/ticket/76
 https://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/ticket/77

There are few other outstanding issues, some of which will be fixed with
the new release too:

 https://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/report/1

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Le jeudi 11 août 2016 16:06:14, Sebastiaan Couwenberg a écrit :

> Hi Even,
>
> Many thanks for the release candidate!
>
> On 08/11/2016 03:29 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
> > Please test and report. I've just tested that GDAL builds and runs fine
> > against it. I'll call for a vote within ~1 week if nothing serious pops
> > up.
>
> Can you also add the 1.4.x versions to Trac?

I've no admin rights currently to be able to do so. Frank/Howard, could you
give me Trac admin rights on geotiff ? Thanks

> I've recently upstreamed some patches from the Debian package that I'd
> like to see included in the next release, but they could only be filed
> for version 1.3.0:
>
>  https://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/ticket/76
>  https://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/ticket/77

Ah I checked quickly the issue list when you posted your message but as you
added them afterwards and I didn't re-check today, I missed them. Anyway, just
committed them in trunk. Thanks

> There are few other outstanding issues, some of which will be fixed with
> the new release too:

Hum, which ones ?

On 08/11/2016 04:26 PM, Even Rouault wrote:

> Le jeudi 11 août 2016 16:06:14, Sebastiaan Couwenberg a écrit :
>> On 08/11/2016 03:29 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
>>> Please test and report. I've just tested that GDAL builds and runs fine
>>> against it. I'll call for a vote within ~1 week if nothing serious pops
>>> up.
>>
>> I've recently upstreamed some patches from the Debian package that I'd
>> like to see included in the next release, but they could only be filed
>> for version 1.3.0:
>>
>>  https://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/ticket/76
>>  https://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/ticket/77
>
> Ah I checked quickly the issue list when you posted your message but as you
> added them afterwards and I didn't re-check today, I missed them. Anyway, just
> committed them in trunk. Thanks
>

>> There are few other outstanding issues, some of which will be fixed with
>> the new release too:
>
> Hum, which ones ?

Sorry, I badly phrased that. That should have been 'some of which can be
fixed with the new release'.

While it's not fixed yet, the proposed change for #70 seems trivial enough.

I've also added a patch for #78.

For now I only filed #79, which shouldn't be to hard to fix either. But
I'm still not comfortable enough with autotools to have a fix already.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

1.4.2 RC2 issued [Re: libgeotiff 1.4.2RC1 ready for testing]

Even Rouault-2
> Sorry, I badly phrased that. That should have been 'some of which can be
> fixed with the new release'.
>
> While it's not fixed yet, the proposed change for #70 seems trivial enough.

I'm not convinced it is correct. At least it is disputable. For sure it
wouldn't report the same as gdalinfo would, but this is a matter of
conventions.
GDAL would still report the coordinates of the corner, applying a half-pixel
shift. the patch would display the coordinates of the centers. So I'm letting
that aside

> I've also added a patch for #78.

I've applied a variation of your patch.

> For now I only filed #79, which shouldn't be to hard to fix either. But
> I'm still not comfortable enough with autotools to have a fix already.

The generated files should be regenerated with ./autogen.sh, that I've added in
the files now added by "make dist" ins the archive.

I've also run it on a newer system (ubuntu 14.04) than the one I've used to
generate RC1, so automake 1.14.1 and config.guess 2013-06-10 are back

So here's RC2 :

http://download.osgeo.org/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.4.2RC2.tar.gz
http://download.osgeo.org/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.4.2RC2.zip

> Kind Regards,
>
> Bas

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: 1.4.2 RC2 issued [Re: libgeotiff 1.4.2RC1 ready for testing]

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 08/11/2016 05:55 PM, Even Rouault wrote:

>> Sorry, I badly phrased that. That should have been 'some of which can be
>> fixed with the new release'.
>>
>> While it's not fixed yet, the proposed change for #70 seems trivial enough.
>
> I'm not convinced it is correct. At least it is disputable. For sure it
> wouldn't report the same as gdalinfo would, but this is a matter of
> conventions.
> GDAL would still report the coordinates of the corner, applying a half-pixel
> shift. the patch would display the coordinates of the centers. So I'm letting
> that aside
That sounds reasonable, I'll trust your judgement on that.

>> I've also added a patch for #78.
>
> I've applied a variation of your patch.

Thanks for the fix and applying my other patches.

>> For now I only filed #79, which shouldn't be to hard to fix either. But
>> I'm still not comfortable enough with autotools to have a fix already.
>
> The generated files should be regenerated with ./autogen.sh, that I've added in
> the files now added by "make dist" ins the archive.
>
> I've also run it on a newer system (ubuntu 14.04) than the one I've used to
> generate RC1, so automake 1.14.1 and config.guess 2013-06-10 are back

Looking good, thanks.

> So here's RC2 :
>
> http://download.osgeo.org/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.4.2RC2.tar.gz
> http://download.osgeo.org/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.4.2RC2.zip

I've started a round of rebuilds of the libgeotiff reverse dependencies
in Debian using RC2, I should have the results in a day or two.

Kind Regards,

Bas

On 08/11/2016 07:08 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 08/11/2016 05:55 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
>> So here's RC2 :
>>
>> http://download.osgeo.org/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.4.2RC2.tar.gz
>> http://download.osgeo.org/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.4.2RC2.zip
>
> I've started a round of rebuilds of the libgeotiff reverse dependencies
> in Debian using RC2, I should have the results in a day or two.

RC2 is looking good.

libLAS 1.8.0 failed to build with 1.4.2 unfortunately, due to the
__geotiff_h_ & __geo_simpletags_h_ defined being renamed. That was easy
enough to solve though:

 https://github.com/libLAS/libLAS/pull/92

I also ran into some unrelated issue with magicks++ & metview, but those
don't seem to be related to libgeotiff.

The rebuilds for gdal, grads, librasterlite2, libterralib, ossim, vxl,
otb, pdal, xastir & grass were all without issues.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

1.4.2 RC3 issued

Even Rouault-2
Hi,

Howard has updated proj.4/GDAL/libgeotiff with the EPSG v8.9 database, so I've
issued a RC3 with it. With the fix for https://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/ticket/80,
this is the only change since RC2 :

        http://download.osgeo.org/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.4.2RC3.tar.gz
        http://download.osgeo.org/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.4.2RC3.zip