large files in gdal

cpadwick

Hi,

I’m trying to process some large files with GDAL and running into problems.  When I process them with gdalinfo I get the error “filename” is not recognized as a supported file format.  The files are in ENVI format, readable by ENVI, and gdalinfo shows the ENVI driver present when I run gdalinfo –formats.

I’ve tried a few times with different file sizes and found that it works if the file size is 350 MB, but fails at larger sizes like 8GB.  I haven’t tried anything in between yet.  I thought that the limit was based on the file system as discussed here: http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/gdal_building.html#largefiles

So I was expecting 16 GB to be the limit.  I’m running Fedora linux 2.4.21-20.ELsmp.  I’ve also tried it under SGI and found the same problem.  Is there an inherent limit on the ENVI driver?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: large files in gdal

Frank Warmerdam
On 9/21/05, Chris Padwick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm trying to process some large files with GDAL and running into problems.
> When I process them with gdalinfo I get the error "filename" is not
> recognized as a supported file format.  The files are in ENVI format,
> readable by ENVI, and gdalinfo shows the ENVI driver present when I run
> gdalinfo –formats.

> I've tried a few times with different file sizes and found that it works if
> the file size is 350 MB, but fails at larger sizes like 8GB.  I haven't
> tried anything in between yet.  I thought that the limit was based on the
> file system as discussed here:
> http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/gdal_building.html#largefiles
>

> So I was expecting 16 GB to be the limit.  I'm running Fedora linux
> 2.4.21-20.ELsmp.  I've also tried it under SGI and found the same problem.
> Is there an inherent limit on the ENVI driver?  Any ideas?

Chris,

I have confirmed this problem and committed a fix.