jetty vs tomcat

robertdbuckley
Hi,

I am setting up a geostack for an acquaintance of mine.

I am not sure whether or not to install tomcat or let geoserver run in jetty.  Is there a big disadvantage when I use jetty? This will mean I won´t have to invest the time and effort of installing tomcat!

Thanks for any comments.

yours,

Rob

Yours with thanks, Robert Buckley System: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Server / Tomcat6 / Geoserver 2.1.2 / GeoWebCache 1.2.6)

Re: jetty vs tomcat

christian.mueller-2
IMHO you should use tomcat. Installing tomcat on a linux box is quite
easy, as an example for Ubuntu

apt-get install tomcat6

The second step is to drop the GeoServer war file into the webapps
directory of tomcat.

That is it.

If you have to configure data sources, you have to invest some time
anyway, regardless of your choice.

Tomcat is the most common used container and you find a lot of support
in the internet.

Christian

Zitat von Robert Buckley <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I am setting up a geostack for an acquaintance of mine.
>
> I am not sure whether or not to install tomcat or let geoserver run
> in jetty.  Is there a big disadvantage when I use jetty? This will
> mean I won´t have to invest the time and effort of installing tomcat!
>
> Thanks for any comments.
>
> yours,
>
> Rob

Re: jetty vs tomcat

Thomas.Wanderer
I also have a short (stupid) question about how to run several instances (versions) of GeoServer on a Tomcat parallel...Is there any short answer to this? If not, I will search more than I already have.

Thank you!

Re: jetty vs tomcat

geowolf
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 1:00 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I also have a short (stupid) question about how to run several instances (versions) of GeoServer on a Tomcat parallel...Is there any short answer to this? If not, I will search more than I already have.

Long story short, don't do that, install several Tomcat instead, each one with its own GS:
- on un-deploy not all classes are released (we cannot figure out why) so it's always better to restart the container, which makes
  it very hard to do a multi-deploy in a single deploy (the other GS instances also go down)
- the amount of memory used in the permgen (the part of memory used to load the bytecode)
  by a single geoserver is also high
- JAI sets up JVM wide global registries that cause troubles because the deploys are
  not independent of each other

If what you want is to give different departments a GeoServer you can install a 2.2.0 version
and create several workspaces, you can give a different administrator to each one of them,
and they can expose each own their own WMS/WFS/WCS

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
Our support, Your Success! Visit http://opensdi.geo-solutions.it for more information.

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

Re: jetty vs tomcat i.e Tomcat instances

cmaul
There are a lot of resources available how to set up the multiple Tomcat instances

Just 2 of the umpteen sources:
http://www.javacodegeeks.com/2011/08/multiple-tomcat-instances-on-single.html
http://www.openlogic.com/wazi/bid/188102/

Cheers

Christian
____________________________

Dr Christian Maul
Project Manager

Information Services Branch
Department Environment and Primary Industries
Level13, Marland House, 570 Bourke Street
Melbourne 3000

PO Box 500, East Melbourne Vic 3002

Telephone:        +61-3-8636 2325
Telefax:              +61-3-8636 2813

Re: jetty vs tomcat i.e Tomcat instances

David Winslow-5
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Tomcat/PackagingWebapps

The technique and tools described here are specific to Ubuntu, but I think they should be readily adapted to other apt-based Linux distributions and, with a bit more work, other Linux distributions which provide tomcat packages.  This is nice if you want to maximize the use of pre-packaged software from your distribution.

--
David Winslow
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/

-----

Dr Christian Maul
Project Manager

Information Services Branch
Department of Sustainability and Environment
Level13, Marland House, 570 Bourke Street
Melbourne 3000

PO Box 500, East Melbourne Vic 3002

Telephone:        <a href="tel:%2B61-3-8636%202325" value="+61386362325">+61-3-8636 2325
Telefax:              <a href="tel:%2B61-3-8636%202813" value="+61386362813">+61-3-8636 2813