installing geonode/geoserver docker image in production

installing geonode/geoserver docker image in production

De Stefano, Matteo

Dear GeoNode community,

I’m installing a 2.6 GeoNode instance in production with multi-tenancy (geosites) on Ubuntu server, with gunicorn and nginx. I’m custom installing it.

The Django side is up and running now. For testing, I run it with paver in localhost, and everything is ok.

Now only Geoserver is missing (in production). I was thinking about installing Geoserver using the geonode/geoserver docker image, available here: [1] I’m learning about docker now.

My question is:

Do you think it is a good idea to have GeoNode installed manually for production, and just Geoserver (and the data directory) as a docker image? Are you aware of any drawback in such approach?

Thank you,

Matteo

[1] https://hub.docker.com/r/geonode/geoserver/

Matteo De Stefano
Data Scientist and GIS Developer

Norwegian Institute for Nature Research - NINA
Postal address: P.O.Box 5685 Sluppen, NO-7485 Trondheim, NORWAY
Delivery/Visiting address: Høgskoleringen 9, NO-7034 Trondheim, NORWAY

 Cell: +47 40645208  www.nina.no

Re: installing geonode/geoserver docker image in production

Angelos Tzotsos
A question within the question: on you have physical separation of your services?
I do not see a drawback other than increasing complexity of your setup with mixed configurations.

Best,
Angelos

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Matteo De Stefano <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

 Cell: <a href="tel:+47%20406%2045%20208" value="+4740645208" target="_blank">+47 40645208  www.nina.no

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
OSGeo Charter Member

Re: installing geonode/geoserver docker image in production

mentaer

just a note: I did in my opinion the mistake to have Postgres/postgis on a second physical server instead on the same as GeoNode - the first runs native on server 1 and GeoNode in a VM on server 2. I did this for available disk space and backup reasons. Although the severs are next to each other it seems to slow down things (10 MByte/sec connection). So at least for the next setup I would not separate GeoServer and Postgis. How a physical separation works for GeoNode and Geoserver, is a good question (does this even work with django and accessing html://xxx/geoserver?)

slds,
stefan

On 8/18/17 06:29, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
[...]

 Cell: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:+47%20406%2045%20208" value="+4740645208" target="_blank">+47 40645208  www.nina.no

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
OSGeo Charter Member

Re: installing geonode/geoserver docker image in production

xbartolone
Hi Stefan,

How  “second physical server” is related with docker images and containers?

Francesco

Il giorno 21/ago/2017, alle ore 17:27, Stefan Steiniger <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

just a note: I did in my opinion the mistake to have Postgres/postgis on a second physical server instead on the same as GeoNode - the first runs native on server 1 and GeoNode in a VM on server 2. I did this for available disk space and backup reasons. Although the severs are next to each other it seems to slow down things (10 MByte/sec connection). So at least for the next setup I would not separate GeoServer and Postgis. How a physical separation works for GeoNode and Geoserver, is a good question (does this even work with django and accessing <a href="html://xxx/geoserver?">html://xxx/geoserver?)

[...]

Well, I assumed we talk about cloud services or so? Where you don't know we're the stuff exactly is. So if you have two images/boxes in different locations network connection may be an issue.

But correct me if I mess up docker with the use of VM's here...
Stefan

El 22-08-2017, a las 04:14, Francesco Bartoli <[hidden email]> escribió:

[...]

I’m assuming we are talking about GeoNode(django), GeoServer and PostGIS containers which are running from the same docker server. Agreed on that means hence those containers are running on top of the same Docker instance (Native, whatever sort of VM) as different processes. This is roughly how docker works, then networking between them can be established with the concept of links in a docker-compose file as far as I know.

However the topic here is with mixed infrastructure configuration like server processes and container processes which is highly discouraged as Angelos and me already told.