identify dialog editable/not editable

Hugentobler  Marco
Hi developers,

The identify dialog is different if a layer is editable/ not editable. I would
like to have it always in not-editable mode and therefore remove some code in
qgsmaptoolidentify. Is this ok for everyone or is the editable-identify
dialog used somewhere else (plugins?).

cheers,
Marco

Re: identify dialog editable/not editable

Tim Sutton
Hi

Yes I thought it was a bit odd the other day when I was testing stuff
and filing bugs. Is your proposal to use the table view dialog only?
And then allow editing by default on the table if the user is
digitising? And if the user is not actively digitising a layer have an
explicit edit button that will allow them to quickly change the
attributes? This would be a good improvement.... Also using a treeview
control really doesnt make sense to me as the information is not
heirachical.

Regards

Tim

On 4/21/06, humarco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi developers,
>
> The identify dialog is different if a layer is editable/ not editable. I would
> like to have it always in not-editable mode and therefore remove some code in
> qgsmaptoolidentify. Is this ok for everyone or is the editable-identify
> dialog used somewhere else (plugins?).
>
> cheers,
> Marco

Tim Sutton

Visit http://qgis.org for a great Open Source GIS
Skype: timlinux
MSN: [hidden email]
Yahoo: [hidden email]
Jabber: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: identify dialog editable/not editable

Hugentobler  Marco
Hi Tim,

Yes, attribute editing is only possible in the attribute table. And the user
has to press 'start editing' in the attribute table. The table then gets
modal and the user has to do 'stop editing' prior to leave the table (that's
because it would be inefficient to check for added/removed/changed attributes
during each redraw). Also, i'm thinking to make newly added layers not
editable by default but placing items in the menu bar and the legend layer
popup such that people find them more easily (as you suggested). The reason
for this is that there is no need to cache geometries in vectorlayers if
editing is off, so it's a bit more efficient (and less error prone).

So my proposal is:
-Don't set layers editable by default (but make start/stop editing buttons and
a 'allow editing' entry in the legend layer popup).
-have attribute editing only in the attribute table
-have the same identify dialog in editable/non editable mode

Marco

Am Freitag 21 April 2006 10:30 schrieb Tim Sutton:

> Hi
>
> Yes I thought it was a bit odd the other day when I was testing stuff
> and filing bugs. Is your proposal to use the table view dialog only?
> And then allow editing by default on the table if the user is
> digitising? And if the user is not actively digitising a layer have an
> explicit edit button that will allow them to quickly change the
> attributes? This would be a good improvement.... Also using a treeview
> control really doesnt make sense to me as the information is not
> heirachical.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>
> On 4/21/06, humarco <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi developers,
> >
> > The identify dialog is different if a layer is editable/ not editable. I
> > would like to have it always in not-editable mode and therefore remove
> > some code in qgsmaptoolidentify. Is this ok for everyone or is the
> > editable-identify dialog used somewhere else (plugins?).
> >
> > cheers,
> > Marco

> Tim Sutton
>
> Visit http://qgis.org for a great Open Source GIS
> Skype: timlinux
> MSN: [hidden email]
> Yahoo: [hidden email]
> Jabber: timlinux

Re: identify dialog editable/not editable

Tim Sutton
Hi

> So my proposal is:
> -Don't set layers editable by default (but make start/stop editing buttons and
> a 'allow editing' entry in the legend layer popup).
> -have attribute editing only in the attribute table
> -have the same identify dialog in editable/non editable mode

Sounds great!

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net