iTowns soon in Geoportail web site

Gilles Cebelieu
Hi iTowns devs,

I wanted to let you know that thanks to the work that you've all done to latest iTowns releases,
the Geoportail web site is planning to switch its 3D visualisation engine from VirtualGeo (Diginext) to iTowns in the beginning of November 2017.

If you wish you may have a look to this Geoportail template page : https://demos.ign.fr/geoportail/refonte-3d/map-viewer.html which already implements a 3D mode using the master branch of iTowns in a state very close to now (a few merges after 2.1 release).

A few things remain to fix until Geoportail releasing day.
They may come either from Geoportail integration work or from iTowns opened PR or issues on which we will now focus. Already known iTowns PR/Issues are listed below :

#470 : Feature : pick raster vector

#486 : setCameraTargetGeoPosition : gap with the wanted position

#478 : EPSG:3857 (PseudoMercator) projection not handled for WMS layers

#465 : feature: add collision handling for camera with terrain

(This latest PR brought improvments but there still remain cases where collisions are not handled)

Gilles Cébélieu
Institut National de l'Information Géographique et Forestière
Pôle Technique du Géoportail / Division API
Géoportail

Re: iTowns soon in Geoportail web site

Augustin Trancart
Great ! Happy to see this happening :-)