how to use mapbuilerd's client?

claire tondriaux
hey,

I've now installed geoserver, and I'd like to use a client to test it. I saw
that mapbuider should be a good one to run with geoserver, but I can't find
how to link them together. How should I install and configure Mapbuider so
that it can use what I've prepared with geoserver?
Thanks a lot for your help,

Claire

Re: how to use mapbuilerd's client?

Chris Holmes-2
Quoting claire tondriaux <[hidden email]>:

> hey,
>
> I've now installed geoserver, and I'd like to use a client to test
> it. I saw
> that mapbuider should be a good one to run with geoserver, but I
> can't find
> how to link them together. How should I install and configure
> Mapbuider so
> that it can use what I've prepared with geoserver?
Well, a version of mapbuilder is actually already installed, go to
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/data/mbdemos/demo/wfs-t/index.html for
a demo.  There are docs on the mapbuilder site -
http://mapbuilder.sourceforge.net  But the easiest way is to just start
playing with the config files.  Like you can edit the demos that are in
geoserver - in either webapps/ or server/ /geoserver/data/mbdemos.
Change them to use your layers, ect.  If you're modifying the wfs-t
one, just edit tasmania.xml to include your layers instead of the
tasmania ones, for example.  Basically you just need to set your
mapbuilder config file to point at your layers.

Chris

> Thanks a lot for your help,
>
> Claire

> September
> 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
> Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing
> & QA
> http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf

RE: how to use mapbuilerd's client?

Adair, Mike
Hi from the Mapbuilder project,

We also have some widgets that will parse a WMS capabilities document and
either display all layers contained in it, or show list from which you can
select which layer you want to see.  This isn't in the Geoserver
distribution yet though.  To get this now, you would have to install
Mapbuilder as a standalone client (probably from CVS or wait for our new
release next week).

Mike Adair

We should definitely get this in the 1.3.0 release.  I think having it
always display would be a bit much, with the danger of hugely massive
datasets.  But what we could do is just set it up as it's own demo page
- that way we can just tell someone: 'do the geoserver install, go to
(link) and start browsing your data!'.  Ideally we could have it ignore
the default layers - would that be possible Mike?  Like get all layers
from the capabilities document, but if tanzania, states, ect. are there
then don't include them?  That way when a user first added their
dataset it would just be their data.