how to get rid of points and only show labels?

how to get rid of points and only show labels?

blammo
All,

What should I even be looking for in the user manual as far as a key word to search on?

I want to get rid of (make disappear in QGIS) the points I’m labeling.  I have eat label working just fine, but I want to not display the point.  Do I need to fake the styling to do this, or??

Thanks

bobb

Re: how to get rid of points and only show labels?

Saulteau Don
Yes, one way can be done with a style trick by setting the size of the
point symbol to 0.

Donovan

On 07/12/15 04:09 PM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:

> All,
>
> What should I even be looking for in the user manual as far as a key word to search on?
>
> I want to get rid of (make disappear in QGIS) the points I’m labeling.  I have eat label working just fine, but I want to not display the point.  Do I need to fake the styling to do this, or??
>
> Thanks
>
> bobb

Kind regards,

Donovan

Re: how to get rid of points and only show labels?

blammo
After some testing, setting colors for fill and outline to transparent seem to give me what I’m looking for display wise, but this just doesn’t seem like the proper method.  Is there a “none” option for the marker someplace that I’m not finding?

Thanks

bobb

> On Dec 7, 2015, at 5:09 PM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> What should I even be looking for in the user manual as far as a key word to search on?
>
> I want to get rid of (make disappear in QGIS) the points I’m labeling.  I have eat label working just fine, but I want to not display the point.  Do I need to fake the styling to do this, or??
>
> Thanks
>
> bobb

Re: how to get rid of points and only show labels?

Phil Wyatt
I would suggest just making the style 100% transparent - quick and easy

Re: how to get rid of points and only show labels?

blammo
Well, that’s easier than setting both colors.

Thanks

bobb

> On Dec 7, 2015, at 5:17 PM, Donovan Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, one way can be done with a style trick by setting the size of the point symbol to 0.
>

> Donovan
>

> On 07/12/15 04:09 PM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> What should I even be looking for in the user manual as far as a key word to search on?
>>
>> I want to get rid of (make disappear in QGIS) the points I’m labeling.  I have eat label working just fine, but I want to not display the point.  Do I need to fake the styling to do this, or??
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> bobb

> Kind regards,
>
> Donovan

Re: how to get rid of points and only show labels?

Andreas Neumann-4
Hi Bob,

It is much easier - you don't have to fuss around with zero size or
transparency.

Just uncheck the "Symbol" checkbox and your symbol will disappear. See
attached screenshot.

Andreas

On 08.12.2015 00:17, Donovan Cameron wrote:

> Yes, one way can be done with a style trick by setting the size of the
> point symbol to 0.
>

> Donovan
>

> On 07/12/15 04:09 PM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> What should I even be looking for in the user manual as far as a key
>> word to search on?
>>
>> I want to get rid of (make disappear in QGIS) the points I’m
>> labeling.  I have eat label working just fine, but I want to not
>> display the point.  Do I need to fake the styling to do this, or??
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> bobb

symbol_checkbox.png (91K) Download Attachment

Re: how to get rid of points and only show labels?

Burghardt.Scholle
Hi Andreas,

hm, in which QGIS-Version you have made this screenshot :-)? I work with QGIS 2.12.1, where it can't find that option button.

Burghardt

It is much easier - you don't have to fuss around with zero size or transparency.

Just uncheck the "Symbol" checkbox and your symbol will disappear. See attached screenshot.

Andreas

On 08.12.2015 00:17, Donovan Cameron wrote:

> Yes, one way can be done with a style trick by setting the size of the
> point symbol to 0.
>

> Donovan
>

> On 07/12/15 04:09 PM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> What should I even be looking for in the user manual as far as a key
>> word to search on?
>>
>> I want to get rid of (make disappear in QGIS) the points I’m
>> labeling.  I have eat label working just fine, but I want to not
>> display the point.  Do I need to fake the styling to do this, or??
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> bobb

Re: how to get rid of points and only show labels?

McDonaldR
Hi Bob, Burghardt

You have to change the symbol style to "rule based" and then there is the option to turn off the symbol for the point.  The option is not available when using a point styled with "single symbol"

Regards

Ross

hm, in which QGIS-Version you have made this screenshot :-)? I work with QGIS 2.12.1, where it can't find that option button.

Burghardt

It is much easier - you don't have to fuss around with zero size or transparency.

Just uncheck the "Symbol" checkbox and your symbol will disappear. See attached screenshot.

Andreas

On 08.12.2015 00:17, Donovan Cameron wrote:

> Yes, one way can be done with a style trick by setting the size of the
> point symbol to 0.
>

> Donovan
>

> On 07/12/15 04:09 PM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> What should I even be looking for in the user manual as far as a key
>> word to search on?
>>
>> I want to get rid of (make disappear in QGIS) the points I’m
>> labeling.  I have eat label working just fine, but I want to not
>> display the point.  Do I need to fake the styling to do this, or??
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> bobb

This message is strictly confidential. If you have received this in error, please inform the sender and remove it from your system. If received in error you may not copy, print, forward or use it or any attachment in any way. This message is not capable of creating a legal contract or a binding representation and does not represent the views of Angus Council. Emails may be monitored for security and network management reasons. Messages containing inappropriate content may be intercepted. Angus Council does not accept any liability for any harm that may be caused to the recipient system or data on it by this message or any attachment.

qgis_pt_symbol.jpg (84K) Download Attachment

Re: how to get rid of points and only show labels?

Nicolas Cadieux

Hi,
In your layer properties/style, change the point color and outline to transparent.

Nicolas Cadieux M.Sc.
Les Entreprises Archéotec inc.
8548, rue Saint-Denis Montréal H2P 2H2
Téléphone: 514.381.5112  Fax: 514.381.4995
www.archeotec.ca

http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/how-to-get-rid-of-points-and-only-show-labels-tp5240338p5240414.html
To start a new topic under Quantum GIS - User, email ml-node+s1560n4125267h38@n6.nabble.com

Re: how to get rid of points and only show labels?

blammo
Ok,  but now I’m at a loss as to why there is a SYMBOL on/off button in the first place.

shrinking the symbol to nothing also works.

bobb

On Dec 8, 2015, at 11:14 AM, McDonaldR <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Bob

Yeah, there is work being done on making the UI UX better at the moment so this might get in.

The label is part of the style hence the disappearance when the symbol is turned off.  Your best bet then is to set the label style and set the symbol style transparency to 100%.  Bit clunky but will give the look you are after.

Ross

Re: how to get rid of points and only show labels?

Burghardt.Scholle

Is only there for Categorised or Graduated

Chris Berens, GISc

+27 (0)82 567 9322

On 8 December 2015 at 09:50, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Andreas,

hm, in which QGIS-Version you have made this screenshot :-)? I work with QGIS 2.12.1, where it can't find that option button.

Burghardt

It is much easier - you don't have to fuss around with zero size or transparency.

Just uncheck the "Symbol" checkbox and your symbol will disappear. See attached screenshot.

Andreas

On 08.12.2015 00:17, Donovan Cameron wrote:
> Yes, one way can be done with a style trick by setting the size of the
> point symbol to 0.
>

> Donovan
>

> On 07/12/15 04:09 PM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> What should I even be looking for in the user manual as far as a key
>> word to search on?
>>
>> I want to get rid of (make disappear in QGIS) the points I’m
>> labeling.  I have eat label working just fine, but I want to not
>> display the point.  Do I need to fake the styling to do this, or??
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> bobb

Re: how to get rid of points and only show labels?

Burghardt.Scholle

It may be that this checkbox is only available at certain renderers - I think i tested with the rule-based renderer.

I think it is around since a couple of versions. On Windows, the symbol is more on the left side - not centered in the symbol dialog.

Andreas

On 08.12.2015 08:50, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> hm, in which QGIS-Version you have made this screenshot :-)? I work with QGIS 2.12.1, where it can't find that option button.
>
> Burghardt

Richard McDonnell
Bob,
You can just set the symbol size to Zero!
Regards,

Richard.

On 08/12/2015 09:54, McDonaldR wrote:
[...]

GIS Specialist PgD GIS
OPW Flood Relief Data Management
52 Stephens Green, Dublin 2.
TEL: 01 6476543
OPW - Ag féachaint don am atá le teacht - Ag caomhnú ón am atá thart
OPW - Looking to the future - Caring for the past

Email Disclaimer: http://www.opw.ie/en/disclaimer/