help

Akin Ozturk

I am new user, also I am new gis and shapefile, I dont know anything about  them.  I install GeoServer, everything ok! But

I don t have any idea how to use shapefile and how to insert data to mysql, how I can create a shapefile, shapefile necessary for GeoServer or not, and I can use other type file.

Anybody help me!

Thanks

akin

Re: help

Brent Owens
Hi Akin

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) If I use only shapefiles, I don't need a database?
- Correct. Shapefiles replace the use of a database. However, I still
recommend using a database, but when you feel comfortable.

2) How can I use my own shapefile, where should I start and I dont know
how modify the program, Should I change whole program segments
javascripts, xml, jsp,... files
- Go to this page here for a tutorial on how to add a shapefile to
GeoServer: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOSDOC/User+Tutorial+Shapefile
You don't need to edit javascript or anything.

3) I need some constant shapefiles, I don't know how to create because I
install the jump but it did not open my .shp file and it use own file
format new task and .jmp, also I need a shapefile which will change
according to new data
- Ah, jump can take some getting used to. To load a shapefile into Jump,
go to File->Load Dataset. On the top left of the file browsing window
that pops up, make sure the 'Format' drop down list has ESRI Shapefile
selected. Locate your .shp file and hit 'OK'.
To save out your shapefile, go to File->Save Dataset. On the top left of
the file browsing window that pops up, make sure the 'Format' drop down
list has ESRI Shapefile selected. Name your file and make sure it has a
.shp extension. Hit 'OK'.
- Shapefiles can be edited by yourself using Jump (and other tools) and
by GeoServer. So they will constantly change.

4) Can I create shapefile with java
- You sure can, and there are several ways to do this. You can use
GeoTools and create a new ShapefileDataStore or you can use the JTS
library (http://www.vividsolutions.com/jts/jtshome.htm) to create a
shapefile. The JTS jar should come with Jump.
- I suggest you look around in
org.vfny.geoserver.wfs.responses.ShapeFeatureResponseDelegate.java to
see how shapefiles were used there.

Brent Owens
TOPP

Akin Ozturk wrote:

> [...]
>     want to
>     see what it is like. You can go here for the entire (2004 version,
>     much
>     more to be added for 2006) Canadian road network in shapefile or GML
>     form: http://www.geobase.ca/
>     There are some nice, free, tools that will help you create
>     shapefiles.
>     And they operate much like paint programs:
>
>     -JUMP: http://www.jump-project.org/project.php?PID=JUMP&SID=OVER
>     I definitely recommend jump for beginners as it works well, and is
>     easy
>     to use.
>
>     -GVSig: http://www.gvsig.gva.es/framesesp.htm
>     A similar tool but is also a WFS client. It is still in mid
>     development
>     so not everything is enabled. But I've used it and it is really
>     nice and
>     fast, and does do shapefiles. Definitely a tool to keep an eye out
>     for.
>
>     -UDig: http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/Home
>     UDig is similar to GVSig and has a lot of potential. I have seen some
>     *really* slick things done on it.
>
>     4) *can I use other type file*
>     There aren't many commonly used file types (files that live on
>     your file
>     system) for spatial data. GML is one but its main use is for
>     communication of geographic data between services. This page has a
>     nice
>     introduction to GML: http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/11/24/tourist.html
>     I would recommend shapefiles for physical files. But what I recommend
>     most is to use PostGIS: http://postgis.refractions.net/
>
>     Brent Owens
>     TOPP
>

>     Akin Ozturk wrote:
>
>     > *I am new user, also I am new gis and shapefile, I dont know
>     anything
>     > about them. I install GeoServer, everything ok! But*
>     >
>     > **
>     >
>     > *I don t have any idea how to use shapefile and how to insert
>     data to
>     > mysql, how I can create a shapefile, shapefile necessary for
>     GeoServer
>     > or not, and I can use other type file.*
>     >
>     > **
>     >
>     > *Anybody help me!*
>     >
>     > **
>     >
>     > *Thanks *
>     >
>     > **
>     >
>     > *akin*
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.

Re: help

Brent Owens
Hi Akin,

1) http://localhost:8080/geoserver/data/generated/cite_Forests.html this
is not working sometimes not sometimes every time.
- What version of GeoServer are you running? I think the problem was
fixed in 1.3.0-RC4.

2) How can I use GeoServer with an image file(jpeg, gif) as backround, I
want to addshapefile on this bacground file
- In a very long roundabout way, yes. It will take some work however.
See the GIS world is based on spatial location, latitude-longitude
coordinates. Background images need to line up with the overlying
geometries, in order to appear correct. This is the case with satelite
photographs. The photos are turned into geometries and served up as many
background images, each having their own location. These images are
rendered first, then the overlying geometries (roads, rivers etc.) are
rendered on top. So just having an image in the background, in its
simplest form, it not quite feasable.

4) can I  use GeoServer without using shapefile
- You sure can. Geoserver supports several data sources: PostGIS,
Oracle, Shapefile,

5)  is there any more simple open source program written java or jsp
- In terms of web map servers and web feature servers (like GeoServer),
there are a couple others out there, most aren't in java. GeoServer is
the most scalable and is relatively easy to work with. MapServer is also
decent as a web map server but is written in C.

6) I want to write a simple web based program that show an image as
background and user select layer(city name, road name..) . and  user can
zoom in zoom out to final image and also I want to write a text on the
image- insert an icon with desired coordinate. I am new GIS, GeoServer,
and shapefile as result SHOULD I USE GEOSERVER OR TRY TO WRÝTE SÝMPLE
PROGRAM.
- Your web based program is simple up until the point where you want to
insert your own icons. Geoserver can handle this, but you will need to
design your web interface to create the correct request.

Brent Owens
TOPP

Akin Ozturk wrote:

> [...]
>     > > **
>     > >
>     > > *Anybody help me!*
>     > >
>     > > **
>     > >
>     > > *Thanks *
>     > >
>     > > **
>     > >
>     > > *akin*
>     > >
>     > >
>     > >
>     > >
>     >
>     > > Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.
>     > >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.

WMS image to file

David Neufeld-2
Hi all,

Is it possible to send a WMS response to a file and then send the file
location back to the client?  Realize this may more of a protocol question
as well.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: WMS image to file

Justin Deoliveira-3
Hi David,

As it stands today not really, this isn't part of the WMS spec and would
involve some trickery.

That being said, I like the idea of being able to plugin a custom output
format. Doing this would would allow clients to acheive custom
functionality, at the same time keeping it somewhat isolated from the
rest of the server.

However people could also argue that the WMS spec does not support this
so it should not be tried. WMS gives you back an image, period. In this
case what you need is a specialized kind of service. It it would look
identical to WMS with the customized change.

We are currently working on a way to be able to make it easy to do these
types of things in geoserver. The project is called Geoserver Enterprise
Edition. Its still in the inception stage. Any more ideas about the
things you would like to do, dont hesitate to email them to the list.

-Justin

David Neufeld wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to send a WMS response to a file and then send the file
> location back to the client?  Realize this may more of a protocol question
> as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Justin Deoliveira
The Open Planning Project
http://topp.openplans.org

Re: WMS image to file

Brent Owens
Hi David,

We have already implemented plugins to allow getFeature responses to
return the features in a zip file, even though it is not part of the WFS
spec. I believe the spec allows for some output customization, but if it
isn't required, it probably hasn't been implemented yet. But that's
where the community comes in.
It would be fairly easy to write a plugin that does this, there is even
a tutorial on how to do it:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOSDOC/Create+your+own+Output+Format

The tutorial is for a getFeatureResponse, but is sure be very similar
for a getMapResponse.

Brent Owens
TOPP

David Neufeld wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Is it possible to send a WMS response to a file and then send the file
>location back to the client?  Realize this may more of a protocol question
>as well.
>
>Thanks,
>Dave

Re: WMS image to file

Alex Petkov

Is it possible to send a WMS response to a file and then send the file
location back to the client?  Realize this may more of a protocol question
as well.

Thanks,
Dave

Do you want to display the file, or just show its location?

If the latter, why not just show the WMS getMap string?

Alex

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc. Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005 Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more information _______________________________________________ Geoserver-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users