help menu - link to new documentation site always to english version

help menu - link to new documentation site always to english version

Régis Haubourg
Hi ,
in latest master, when launching general help, user is directed to the english versino of the new doc site [0].
Second trouble, the url shows a error message, and it seems the right url should be [1]
Anyone confirms? Any hope to have this fixed before tomorrow night?

[0] http://docs.qgis.org/2.0/html/en/docs/user_manual/
[1] http://docs.qgis.org/2.0/html/en/docs/user_manual/index.html

Régis

Re: help menu - link to new documentation site always to english version

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 02-09-13 17:09, Régis Haubourg wrote:

> Hi ,
> in latest master, when launching general help, user is directed to the
> english versino of the new doc site [0].
> Second trouble, the url shows a error message, and it seems the right url
> should be [1]
> Anyone confirms? Any hope to have this fixed before tomorrow night?
>
> [0] http://docs.qgis.org/2.0/html/en/docs/user_manual/
> [1] http://docs.qgis.org/2.0/html/en/docs/user_manual/index.html
>
> Régis

Régis,

you are right, this has been already for some time. It is a little
hickup in the javascript do termine the language in the page, to be able
to switch.

I can try to fix in the docs (which I should), it, but using [1] is also
a fix, so maybe devs can use that url

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: help menu - link to new documentation site always to english version

Régis Haubourg
Hi Richard,
yes, there is a bit of javascript needed to autodetect client language, for all people coming from internet.
For those coming from QGIS help menu, maybe we could use qgis langage to set langage url, without having to let web client try to do the laguage detection?
Anyway, this is not a big issue, but you've all been doing so much documentation work, that it would be very nice to have it well advertised.
Régis

On 02-09-13 21:02, Régis Haubourg wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> yes, there is a bit of javascript needed to autodetect client language, for
> all people coming from internet.
> For those coming from QGIS help menu, maybe we could use qgis langage to set
> langage url, without having to let web client try to do the laguage
> detection?

I added a feature request on the new website issue list [1], which by
the way is heavily in flux at the moment, so please wait for a more
stable version before really starting to issue bugs...

Regards,

Richard

[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/issues/33

Re: help menu - link to new documentation site always to english version

Anita Graser
Am 02.09.2013, 21:02 Uhr, schrieb Régis Haubourg
<[hidden email]>:
> For those coming from QGIS help menu, maybe we could use qgis langage to
> set
> langage url, without having to let web client try to do the laguage
> detection?

Please just don't force people to the documentation version of their
operating system language settings. I hate it if I have to jump through
loops to get to English material just because my OS is in German.

Best wishes,
Anita

On 02-09-13 23:05, Anita Graser wrote:

> Please just don't force people to the documentation version of their
> operating system language settings. I hate it if I have to jump through
> loops to get to English material just because my OS is in German.

So to be clear:

Coming from QGIS you want to go the the language QGIS is used at that
moment:

http://docs.qgis.org/2.0/html/{LANGUAGE}/docs/user_manual/

while for the browser we can hopefully in the future just detect and
remember the current locale (and be remembered via the browser).

Richard

Re: help menu - link to new documentation site always to english version

pcav

Re: help menu - link to new documentation site always to english version

pcav

Re: help menu - link to new documentation site always to english version

Anita Graser
Hi Richard,

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 7:10 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Coming from QGIS you want to go the the language QGIS is used at that
> moment:
> http://docs.qgis.org/2.0/html/{LANGUAGE}/docs/user_manual/

Exactly. I think that makes most sense because application and manual
will fit together nicely.

Best wishes,
Anita

> while for the browser we can hopefully in the future just detect and
> remember the current locale (and be remembered via the browser).
>
> Richard

Re: help menu - link to new documentation site always to english version

Régis Haubourg
+ 1 with Anita. Users do choose their language in QGIS, but not always in the OS..
Cheers
Régis