grass on linux

lucien.blandenier
Dear grass user,

I'm actually using grass on Window but I would like to migrate to Linux. Which distribution do you suggest for a new Linux user? I like the Mint distribution but there is not the latest grass version (only the 6.4.1).

Thank you for you suggestions.

Lucien

Re: grass on linux

sluedtke
Dear Lucien,

Mint is based on Ubuntu, so you can use the Ubuntu repositories

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ppa/

There you find a more recent version.

Just make sure your that you choose the right series in the repo that goes with your version of Linux Mint.

Good idea, by the way :-)

My first post, hope I am right.

Cheers,

Stefan

On 04/18/2013 04:54 PM, BLANDENIER Lucien wrote:
Dear grass user,

I'm actually using grass on Window but I would like to migrate to Linux. Which distribution do you suggest for a new Linux user? I like the Mint distribution but there is not the latest grass version (only the 6.4.1).

Thank you for you suggestions.

Lucien

Re: grass on linux

Rich Shepard
On Thu, 18 Apr 2013, BLANDENIER Lucien wrote:

> I'm actually using grass on Window but I would like to migrate to Linux.
> Which distribution do you suggest for a new Linux user? I like the Mint
> distribution but there is not the latest grass version (only the 6.4.1).

Lucien,

   Any one will do you well (and offer orders of magnitude more than
Microsoft). The real differences are the components packaged with the
distiribution, the tools used to manage packages, and how much control the
distribution developers take away or hide from users.

   Debian and its off-springs have been rock-solid for years. Red Hat's
Fedora series tends to be more cutting edge development oriented (which is
why there are CentOS and Scientific Linux as derivatives). The Ubuntus are
aimed primarily at new users who want linux to look (and behave, without the
flaws) like Windows. For what it's worth, I switched from 6 years of Red Hat
in 2003 to Slackware which is the only distribution I use on all our
systems.

   Regardless of which distribution you choose they will all run grass very
well. I strongly encourage you to learn how to compile your own applications
using the three-step 'configure; make; make install' sequence. This gives
you complete control over your systems and applications and lets you
configure them for your needs and preferences.

   Linux consists of hundreds of small tools (utilities), each designed to do
only one thing while doing it exceptionally well. Each is (comparatively)
easy to learn but there are many of them. These small tools can be strung
together in a chain (called a pipeline) to automate complex tasks.

   Join the mail list for your local linux/*BSD/UNIX user group as that's
where you can more quickly learn and become proficient and comfortable.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |   Integrity - Credibility - Innovation
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |

Re: grass on linux

Thomas Adams-2
Lucien,

I use MacOS X and Ubuntu Linux -- I really like Ubuntu (Mac-like in many ways...).

Best,
Tom

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM, BLANDENIER Lucien <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear grass user,

I'm actually using grass on Window but I would like to migrate to Linux. Which distribution do you suggest for a new Linux user? I like the Mint distribution but there is not the latest grass version (only the 6.4.1).

Thank you for you suggestions.

Lucien

Re: grass on linux

ssefick
General:

I use scientific linux because I don't like to upgrade often.  With the
use of the extra repositories and minor compilation I have a very nice,
working computer that doesn't need to  updated for a while.

GRASS from source 6.4svn and el GIS:

both work fine, and I suspect that GRASS 7 works just fine.
HTH,

Stephen

On Thu 18 Apr 2013 10:53:46 AM CDT, Thomas Adams wrote:

> Lucien,
>
> I use MacOS X and Ubuntu Linux -- I really like Ubuntu (Mac-like in
> many ways...).
>

> Best,
> Tom
>

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM, BLANDENIER Lucien
>
> Dear grass user,
>
> I'm actually using grass on Window but I would like to migrate to
> Linux. Which distribution do you suggest for a new Linux user? I
> like the Mint distribution but there is not the latest grass
> version (only the 6.4.1).
>
> Thank you for you suggestions.
>

> Lucien

Re: grass on linux

Mark Seibel
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM, BLANDENIER Lucien <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm actually using grass on Window but I would like to migrate to Linux. Which distribution do you suggest for a new Linux user? I like the Mint distribution but there is not the latest grass version (only the 6.4.1).

Hi.

I had used Ubuntu for several years, but recently changed to Linux Mint.  So far, I am very happy with the decision.  Like other's had mentioned, Linux Mint can use Ubuntu repositories so you can get all the latest goodies from UbuntuGIS (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS).

The UbuntuGIS "unstable" is not as it may sound; it has packages which technically may be labeled unstable, but they are not necessarily unstable software packages to where you have software crashes.  Others can add insight, but my experience with the "unstable" PPA has been very good.

As a new Linux user, I recommend using the binary packages.  Compiling from source can be frustrating and time consuming if not having done it many times before.  It is definitely worth learning how to compile software on Linux, however, the fastest way to get up and running with GRASS GIS (and other GIS packages) on Linux is using the binaries.

Mark

Re: grass on linux

Markus Neteler
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Stephen Sefick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> General:
>
> I use scientific linux because I don't like to upgrade often.  With the use
> of the extra repositories and minor compilation I have a very nice, working
> computer that doesn't need to  updated for a while.
>
> GRASS from source 6.4svn and el GIS:
>
> both work fine, and I suspect that GRASS 7 works just fine.

Yes :-)

We are using it on our cluster (Scientific Linux 6) e.g. for MODIS data
analysis in the multi-terabyte size.

Markus

--
http://gis.cri.fmach.it/neteler/

Re: grass on linux

RichardCooper

I'm using Linux Mint 13 (Maya), which is based on Ubuntu Precise.

I've been using GRASS 6.4.2, and just upgraded to 6.4.3 RC1 which can be installed as a binary as indicated at https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-testing/

I think GRASS 7 can also be installed from the latter, but of course is under development (unstable).

Richard

Re: grass on linux

ahmadou dicko
I think that almost all linux distribution are good and better than windows if you want to take full advantage of GRASS.

If you start with linux it's better to use a friendly Debian based linux distro such as Ubuntu or Mint.
I want also to point out that though GRASS 7 is still on development, I find very (very) stable, I use it for a year now and advice you to do so.

Disclaimer : I'm a ArchLinux user

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM, RichardC <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Linux Mint 13 (Maya), which is based on Ubuntu Precise.

I've been using GRASS 6.4.2, and just upgraded to 6.4.3 RC1 which can be
installed as a binary as indicated at
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-testing/

I think GRASS 7 can also be installed from the latter, but of course is
under development (unstable).

Richard

Ahmadou H. DICKO
statistician and applied economist
PhD student in Climate change economics
Faculty of economics and managment - Cheikh Anta Diop University
West African Science Service Center on Climate Change and Adaptated Land Use (WASCAL)
Center for Development Research (ZEF) - University of Bonn
twitter : @dickoah
github : github/dickoa
tel : +221 33 827 55 16
portable: +221 77 123 81 69