grass-addons git repo clean-up

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

grass-addons git repo clean-up

Martin Landa
Hi,

we should think what to do with grass-addons [1] after migration to
git. The concept of the one single addons repo goes somehow against
distributed approach. But never mind, we will keep this repo for
people who want to put their addons to the single place (and teach
meanwhile `g.extension` to collect addons from more repositories).
Anyway this mail is more about cleaning-up the current content.

* grass6/ content could be moved to new branch grass6
* grass7/ content will become master
* roadmap/ content can be partially moved to `grass-promo` repo
* tools/ content could be moved to a new git repo,
`grass-maintenance-tools` (any idea for better name).

Any ideas/comments? Thanks, Ma

[1] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass-addons

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grass-addons git repo clean-up

pvanbosgeo

Hi,

If add-ons are made available from personal repositories, will there still be a central page with links to all manual pages (https://grass.osgeo.org/grass76/manuals/addons/)? I always find this a very convenient place to check what add-ons are available.

Cheers,

Paulo


Op 18 mei 2019 17:01:15 schreef Martin Landa <[hidden email]>:

Hi,

we should think what to do with grass-addons [1] after migration to
git. The concept of the one single addons repo goes somehow against
distributed approach. But never mind, we will keep this repo for
people who want to put their addons to the single place (and teach
meanwhile `g.extension` to collect addons from more repositories).
Anyway this mail is more about cleaning-up the current content.

* grass6/ content could be moved to new branch grass6
* grass7/ content will become master
* roadmap/ content can be partially moved to `grass-promo` repo
* tools/ content could be moved to a new git repo,
`grass-maintenance-tools` (any idea for better name).

Any ideas/comments? Thanks, Ma

[1] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass-addons

-- 
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev


_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grass-addons git repo clean-up

Martin Landa
Hi,

so 18. 5. 2019 v 22:46 odesílatel Paulo van Breugel
<[hidden email]> napsal:
> If add-ons are made available from personal repositories, will there still be a central page with links to all manual pages (https://grass.osgeo.org/grass76/manuals/addons/)? I always find this a very convenient place to check what add-ons are available.

yes, should work like that. But let's discuss possible implementation
(possibly a metadata file with list of all registered personal repos
in `grass-addons` repo) in a new issue. This thread is about
cleaning-up the `grass-addons` repo. Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grass-addons git repo clean-up

Martin Landa
In reply to this post by Martin Landa
Hi,

so 18. 5. 2019 v 17:00 odesílatel Martin Landa <[hidden email]> napsal:
> * tools/ content could be moved to a new git repo,
> `grass-maintenance-tools` (any idea for better name).

if no objections I would suggest to create a new repo under OSGeo
organization in next hours/days.

Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grass-addons git repo clean-up

Martin Landa
Hi,

ne 19. 5. 2019 v 11:52 odesílatel Martin Landa <[hidden email]> napsal:
> > * tools/ content could be moved to a new git repo,
> > `grass-maintenance-tools` (any idea for better name).

another option is to keep tools in `grass-addons` repo, just to move
them into separated branch. In summary, list of branches:

* grass7 (content of grass7/* dir) <-- default
* grass6 (content of grass6/* dir)
* tools (content of tools/* dir)

Than content of branches will be different which is not probably a
perfect approach. On the other hand we will minimize number of git
repo.

Any opinion? Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grass-addons git repo clean-up

NikosAlexandris
In reply to this post by Martin Landa
Dear Martin and all,

is there anything add-ons authors should do from their side?

Thanks for all of the hard work, Nikos

* Martin Landa <[hidden email]> [2019-05-19 11:06:35 +0200]:

>Hi,
>
>so 18. 5. 2019 v 22:46 odesílatel Paulo van Breugel
><[hidden email]> napsal:
>> If add-ons are made available from personal repositories, will there still be a central page with links to all manual pages (https://grass.osgeo.org/grass76/manuals/addons/)? I always find this a very convenient place to check what add-ons are available.
>
>yes, should work like that. But let's discuss possible implementation
>(possibly a metadata file with list of all registered personal repos
>in `grass-addons` repo) in a new issue. This thread is about
>cleaning-up the `grass-addons` repo. Ma
>
>--
>Martin Landa
>http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
>http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa
>_______________________________________________
>grass-dev mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev

--
Nikos Alexandris | Remote Sensing & Geomatics
GPG Key Fingerprint 6F9D4506F3CA28380974D31A9053534B693C4FB3
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grass-addons git repo clean-up

wenzeslaus
In reply to this post by Martin Landa


On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 8:50 AM Martin Landa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

ne 19. 5. 2019 v 11:52 odesílatel Martin Landa <[hidden email]> napsal:
> > * tools/ content could be moved to a new git repo,
> > `grass-maintenance-tools` (any idea for better name).

another option is to keep tools in `grass-addons` repo, just to move
them into separated branch. In summary, list of branches:


I think tools should be in grass (/tools) or in maintenance.
 
* grass7 (content of grass7/* dir) <-- default
* grass6 (content of grass6/* dir)

This makes sense as branches. No master seems to make sense here if we continue managing addons the same way.
 
* tools (content of tools/* dir)

Not a branch. See above.
 

Than content of branches will be different which is not probably a
perfect approach. On the other hand we will minimize number of git
repo.

The maintenance repo makes sense to me unless there is a strong reason to put everything into the main repo.

_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grass-addons git repo clean-up

Martin Landa
Hi,

ne 19. 5. 2019 v 17:05 odesílatel Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> napsal:
>> * tools (content of tools/* dir)
>> Than content of branches will be different which is not probably a
>> perfect approach. On the other hand we will minimize number of git
>> repo.
>
> The maintenance repo makes sense to me unless there is a strong reason to put everything into the main repo.

quick review added:

* addons -> these tools could remain in grass-addons repo since they
are related to addons, but needs to be cleaned and updated
* grass-ci -> not needed any more (we are on GitHub already), can be
removed from git repo (still archived in svn)
* savanna -> very outdate (last commit 9 years ago), can be removed
from git repo (still archived in svn)
* svn2git -> can be removed from git repo (still archived in svn)
* wiki -> mediawiki maintance (can be moved somewhere)
* wingrass-packager (partly relared to addons, can stay or moved somewhere)
* there are plenty of scripts in tools directory itself, part of them
can be removed, part updated.

Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grass-addons git repo clean-up

Markus Neteler
Hi,

what is our plan concerning a new `grass-maintenance-tools` (or with a
better name)?

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 5:37 PM Martin Landa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ne 19. 5. 2019 v 17:05 odesílatel Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> napsal:
> >> * tools (content of tools/* dir)
> >> Than content of branches will be different which is not probably a
> >> perfect approach. On the other hand we will minimize number of git
> >> repo.
> >
> > The maintenance repo makes sense to me unless there is a strong reason to put everything into the main repo.
>
> quick review added:
>
> * addons -> these tools could remain in grass-addons repo since they
> are related to addons, but needs to be cleaned and updated
> * grass-ci -> not needed any more (we are on GitHub already), can be
> removed from git repo (still archived in svn)
> * savanna -> very outdate (last commit 9 years ago), can be removed
> from git repo (still archived in svn)
> * svn2git -> can be removed from git repo (still archived in svn)
> * wiki -> mediawiki maintance (can be moved somewhere)
> * wingrass-packager (partly relared to addons, can stay or moved somewhere)
> * there are plenty of scripts in tools directory itself, part of them
> can be removed, part updated.

I'd also like to add the cronjob scripts used on grass.osgeo.org.

Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev