gis.lab unit: external disc or mounted directory via sshfs

gis.lab unit: external disc or mounted directory via sshfs

Martin Landa
Hi,

I am using at my university GIS.lab Unit for GIS education.  My Unit
has 60GB disc, it means 31GB for storage. It's really small amount of
disc space when you have 20 people in class doing some real job (eg.
computing slope for Czech Republic using DMT with 25m resolution will
produce in GRASS more than 700MB of temp data) it's very easy to reach
"out of space" message.

I was thinking how to solve this situation without buying new unit
(there should be model with 120GB). I can see two options:

1) mount directory from remote pc via sshd
2) buy external disc and connect with the unit

For 2) I have question, I found mostly hhd discs, then two "strange"
sshd dics, eg.
https://www.alza.cz/seagate-xbox-game-drive-2000gb-d3754694.htm?catid=28851842

Any idea, comments? Thanks! Martin

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa

Re: gis.lab unit: external disc or mounted directory via sshfs

Martin Landa
> For 2) I have question, I found mostly hhd discs, then two "strange"
> sshd dics, eg.
> https://www.alza.cz/seagate-xbox-game-drive-2000gb-d3754694.htm?catid=28851842

hm, it has only USB 3.0, so no way. Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa

Re: gis.lab unit: external disc or mounted directory via sshfs

Ivan Mincik

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 5:56 AM, Martin Landa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am using at my university GIS.lab Unit for GIS education.  My Unit
has 60GB disc, it means 31GB for storage. It's really small amount of
disc space when you have 20 people in class doing some real job (eg.
computing slope for Czech Republic using DMT with 25m resolution will
produce in GRASS more than 700MB of temp data) it's very easy to reach
"out of space" message.

I was thinking how to solve this situation without buying new unit
(there should be model with 120GB). I can see two options:

1) mount directory from remote pc via sshd
2) buy external disc and connect with the unit

For 2) I have question, I found mostly hhd discs, then two "strange"
sshd dics, eg.
https://www.alza.cz/seagate-xbox-game-drive-2000gb-d3754694.htm?catid=28851842

Hi Martin,
you can buy bigger disk to your Unit. For example this one with 480GB:

https://www.alza.sk/kingston-ssd-480gb-ssdnow-ms200-d1470914.htm

Re: gis.lab unit: external disc or mounted directory via sshfs

Martin Landa
Hi Ivan,

welcome back :-)

> you can buy bigger disk to your Unit. For example this one with 480GB:
>
> https://www.alza.sk/kingston-ssd-480gb-ssdnow-ms200-d1470914.htm

thanks, Martin