geotifcp not removing geotiff headers?

David Strip
According to this man page,
     geotifcp input.tif output.tif
will remove the geotiff tags and copy the rest of the tiff file if I understand correctly. I've tried this and the output file is identical to the input file in size and listgeo finds all the same data.  Did I misunderstand how this is supposed to work? (I'm using the pre-compiled windows verion in the FW-Tools, ver. 2.4.7

Minor nit -
    geotifcp --h
produces
    usage: gtiffcp ...

Re: geotifcp not removing geotiff headers?

Frank Warmerdam
David,

I believe it is intentional that geotifcp copies the geotiff tags.  If
you use the
tiffcp program from libtiff you can strip off special tags like the
geotiff tags.
Note that geotifcp does have a mechanism to override the geotiff tags from
a textual geotiff tag input file (same as listgeo output).  Typically it is
used this way to apply new tags.

Best regards,

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:36 AM, David Strip <[hidden email]> wrote:

> According to this man page,
>      geotifcp input.tif output.tif
> will remove the geotiff tags and copy the rest of the tiff file if I
> understand correctly. I've tried this and the output file is identical to
> the input file in size and listgeo finds all the same data.  Did I
> misunderstand how this is supposed to work? (I'm using the pre-compiled
> windows verion in the FW-Tools, ver. 2.4.7
>
> Minor nit -
>     geotifcp --h
> produces
>     usage: gtiffcp ...

Re: geotifcp not removing geotiff headers?

Frank Warmerdam
David,

I'm just realizing you referenced the man page which turns out to be
directly wrong in this regard.  I'll fix it and also the usage message.

Re: geotifcp not removing geotiff headers?

David Strip
thanks for the clarification and the pointer to tiffcp to get the job done.