geospatial @ apache foundation

Johan Van de Wauw
Hi all,

I recently bumped across this article about a geospatial track which
may be organised at apachecon.

Maybe some people from OSGeo can reach out to them and see if we can
organise this together? And look for future collaboration?

http://thenewstack.io/apache-sets-geospatial-voyage/

Kind Regards,
Johan

Re: geospatial @ apache foundation

Cameron Shorter
Hi George,
Following on from your suggestion of a geospatial track at the Apache:
Big Data North
America, I expect you will find interest from the OSGeo community to be
involved (see below).

Please keep us in the loop with regards to your ideas, and once
consolidated, feel free to ask us how we might want to contribute.

I suspect may be people within the OSGeo community with valuable case
studies or ideas to include in your proposed track.

Also, I suspect there would be value for Big Spatial data projects to
align with the OSGeo foundation, potentially being included as an OSGeo
incubated project, and tap into OSGeo marketing pipelines.

Warm regards, Cameron Shorter

On 29/01/2016 10:51 pm, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently bumped across this article about a geospatial track which
> may be organised at apachecon.
>
> Maybe some people from OSGeo can reach out to them and see if we can
> organise this together? And look for future collaboration?
>
> http://thenewstack.io/apache-sets-geospatial-voyage/
>
> Kind Regards,
> Johan

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

P +61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F +61 2 9009 5099

Re: geospatial @ apache foundation

George Percivall-2
Cameron,

Its good to hear of your cross community interest for OSGeo.  My abstract for the geospatial track of ApacheConf suggests coordination between open source organizations working on geospatial - based on the use of open standards.  One aim I have for the session is to identify project coordination actions be undertaken after the conference.

If OSGeo sees opportunities for geospatial application of Apache projects it would be most appropriate to submit an abstract.
Be sure to put submit your abstract with a title of this scheme:  “Geospatial Track - [your title]”

In any case, lets coordinate in advance of the May conference, e.g., it would be good to include a slide in my presentation summarizing the OSGeo projects.

Regards,
George

On Jan 30, 2016, at 5:24 AM, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure if Andrea Ross (CCed) has been included in your conversations to date? She coordinates LocationTech, the geospatial arm of the Eclipse Foundation. I suspect you will find her both interested and valuable in progressing your goals.

I do like your goals of collaborating between open source organisations related to geospatial. This happens to be at the core of both the OSGeo Foundation and LocationTech as well.

With regards to a summary of Open Source Geospatial, I suggest looking at the OSGeo-Live presentation (with script):
http://live.osgeo.org/en/presentation/index.html#/
It aims to be a lightening FOSS4G conference, covered in a 30 min presentation.
I'll leave it to you to distill further down to a one minute slide. :)
(You are free to copy or change the material as you see fit)

Warm regards, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

Re: geospatial @ apache foundation

Andrea Ross
Dear Cameron, George, and Everyone

Thank you for looping me in Cameron. You are correct, this is of interest. Personally, I think it is great to see the geo work being done at Apache. I have been cheering for it since I learned of it a few years ago. And I personally think collaboration just makes sense. For those that didn't already know about it, Mozilla is also doing some really cool stuff.

It is particularly relevant for LocationTech's vibrant geoprocessing projects (GeoMesa, GeoWave, GeoJinni, GeoTreillis, etc.) are based on top of & implement spatial features for Spark, Hadoop, Accumulo, HBase, etc.

For what it's worth, FOSS4G NA runs May 2-5 in Raleigh. GEOINT runs May 15-18 in Orlando.

It goes without saying that the Apache Geo projects, and any others for that matter, are welcome at FOSS4G NA. The CfP deadline is February 8th. Speakers who have their talk accepted get a free full access pass. There are also scholarships for those that need a little support.

Kind regards,

Andrea

On 30/01/16 14:47, Cameron Shorter wrote:
[...]

Director, Ecosystem Development, Eclipse Foundation
Twitter: @42aross, Mobile: 1-613-614-5772

Re: geospatial @ apache foundation

George Percivall-2
Andrea,

Its good to hear of our common interests for geospatial implementations in multiple communities.

It is particularly relevant for LocationTech's vibrant geoprocessing projects (GeoMesa, GeoWave, GeoJinni, GeoTreillis, etc.) are based on top of & implement spatial features for Spark, Hadoop, Accumulo, HBase, etc.

It would be good to get abstract(s) about theses projects in the ApacheCon geospatial track:

Luis Bermudez will be the OGC staff member at FOSS4G NA this year.

Regards,
George

On Jan 31, 2016, at 5:25 PM, Andrea Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

jody.garnett
On 1 February 2016 at 14:40, George Percivall <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andrea,

Its good to hear of our common interests for geospatial implementations in multiple communities.

It is particularly relevant for LocationTech's vibrant geoprocessing projects (GeoMesa, GeoWave, GeoJinni, GeoTreillis, etc.) are based on top of & implement spatial features for Spark, Hadoop, Accumulo, HBase, etc.

It would be good to get abstract(s) about theses projects in the ApacheCon geospatial track:

It really is a busy time for conferences.

At the LocationTech summit Rob Emmanuel had a wonderful introduction covering all three of these projects in the context of cloud processing technologies. Here is the abstractslides and video. Now we just need to ask him to submit :)

Jody