georeferencing

nishith datta-2
hi all,
I am new to the list....
When I georeference  a toposheet I get the associated file. But nothing happens or I notice to  happen. When i reload the file it doesnot have the lat long info. How to georeference in QGIS 0.8 plz advice
nishith

always stay connected to friends.

Re: georeferencing

CraigLeat
nishith datta wrote:
> hi all,
>   I am new to the list....

Welcome..
>   When I georeference  a toposheet I get the associated file. But nothing happens or I notice to  happen. When i reload the file it doesnot have the lat long info. How to georeference in QGIS 0.8 plz advice
>   nishith
If you have a raster map called MyRaster.tif then the associated World
File would be MyRaster.tfw. For JPEG rasters you would have something
like MyRaster.jpg and the World File MyRaster.jgw. The raster and World
File should reside in the same directory. I *assume* that if the raster
contains georeferencing information this will be ignored and the World
File will be used by Qgis instead. Please will someone advise if I am
correct here.

Best regards

Craig Leat.

Re: georeferencing

Jaroslaw Kowalczyk
Hi,

I have had  symilar problem with georeferencing in 0.8. I have moved to
0.8.1 and now everything works as I expet it.

J.Kowalczyk

>>   When I georeference  a toposheet I get the associated file. But nothing
>> happens or I notice to  happen. When i reload the file it doesnot have
>> the lat long info. How to georeference in QGIS 0.8 plz advice
>>   nishith
> If you have a raster map called MyRaster.tif then the associated World
> File would be MyRaster.tfw. For JPEG rasters you would have something
> like MyRaster.jpg and the World File MyRaster.jgw. The raster and World
> File should reside in the same directory. I *assume* that if the raster
> contains georeferencing information this will be ignored and the World
> File will be used by Qgis instead. Please will someone advise if I am
> correct here.
>
> Best regards
>
> Craig Leat.

Re: georeferencing

Peter Brooks-2
That should be how world files work but in v.0.8 the world file had
to have the extension .tfw regardless of the file type you were
trying to georef. Had me puzzled for quite a while.

I think this was probably a bug - don't know if it has been fixed in
0.81, to my shame I haven't tried it yet!

Cheers
Peter

On 9 Jul 2007 at 8:42, Craig Leat wrote:

nishith datta wrote:
> hi all,
>   I am new to the list....

Welcome..