gdal in docker

Adam Laža
Hi devs,

I'm using pywps-flask docker image but when I tried to run demo processes which need gdal I got this exception:

<ows:ExceptionText>Complex validation requires GDAL/OGR support</ows:ExceptionText>

I wanted to edit dockerfile so there will be gdal installed but I wasn't really successful. I tried different ways to install gdal with apk and pip but none of them succeeded.

Does anybody use pywps in docker with gdal installed (and with Dockerfile using alpine)?

Thanks in advance.
Adam

Re: gdal in docker

jorge.dejesus

Hi Adam

Actually you have a good point, the docker images have no install for GDAL. I will try to update  the dockerfile in the following days (bit pressed with work).

For GDAL I normally install in server I normally follow the things from Geographica

https://github.com/GeographicaGS/Docker-GDAL2/tree/master/2.2.2

https://github.com/GeographicaGS/Docker-GDAL2/blob/master/2.2.2/Dockerfile

These dockersfile are for ubuntu and python3 so therefore they will properly work with pywps4-flask

Jorge

On 20-11-17 22:36, Adam Laža wrote:
Hi devs,

I'm using pywps-flask docker image but when I tried to run demo processes which need gdal I got this exception:

<ows:ExceptionText>Complex validation requires GDAL/OGR support</ows:ExceptionText>

I wanted to edit dockerfile so there will be gdal installed but I wasn't really successful. I tried different ways to install gdal with apk and pip but none of them succeeded.

Does anybody use pywps in docker with gdal installed (and with Dockerfile using alpine)?

Thanks in advance.
Adam

Re: gdal in docker

Adam Laža
Hello Jorge,

thanks for the link it was really helpful. I edited my Dockerfile (in attachment) and after build it looks that GDAL is installed (inside running docker I tried to run gdalinfo command and import gdal module in python console and both looked ok).
However when I run demo process buffer I get

<ows:ExceptionText>Input data not valid using mode 2</ows:ExceptionText>

in response and in demo.py output:

 * Running on http://0.0.0.0:5000/ (Press CTRL+C to quit)
ERROR 1: Unable to create Xerces C++ or Expat based GML reader, Xerces or Expat support not configured into GDAL/OGR.
ERROR 1: File /tmp/pywps_process_3z1kdw9t/tmpgpw33gki appears to be GML but the GML reader can't
be instantiated, likely because Xerces or Expat support was
not configured in.
172.17.0.1 - - [25/Nov/2017 22:33:27] "POST /wps HTTP/1.1" 400 -

The same proccess on my locally installed pywps instance ends successfuly so I suppose I forgot to add something to dockerfile.

Any idea what I'm missing? Thanks.

Adam

[...]

Dockerfile (1K) Download Attachment

Re: gdal in docker

Adam Laža
Hello everyone,

finally I've found the problem. It's necessary to compile GDAL with xerces, expat and geos. For geos and expat there are alpine packages, xerces has to be installed manually.
Updated Dockerfile is attached. Probably there is a smoother way how to have pywps-demo docker with GDAL but at least this one works.

Cheers,
Adam

[...]

Dockerfile (2K) Download Attachment

Re: gdal in docker

jorge.dejesus
Hi Adam
Thank you for the docker filel I have integrated things into a new docker and pushed tot github just some notes

For some reason alpine:latest (alpine:3.7) gave me problems with Xerces compilation it hangs looking for some files, but with 3.6 it worked fine.

Not certain if you want your name in the maintance contact in dockerfile

Jorge
PS: everytime I see lastest in a dockerfile I fell pain all over my body...
On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 7:44 PM, Adam Laža <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Jorge,

I'd rather keep your name in maintance contact.
I will keep in mind your note about latest in docker file :)

Br,