[gdal-dev] relationship between gdalwarp and gdal_translate

[gdal-dev] relationship between gdalwarp and gdal_translate

Idan Miara
Hi,

I'm writing a wrapper and a QT5 frontend for gdalwarp/gdal_translate:

I was wandering if gdalwarp can do anything that gdal_translate can do (and much more), why is gdal_translate needed? do they use the same backend for tasks that gdal_translate can do?

Kind regards,
Idan

Re: relationship between gdalwarp and gdal_translate

Even Rouault-2
On lundi 29 avril 2019 18:06:46 CEST Idan Miara wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing a wrapper and a QT5 frontend for gdalwarp/gdal_translate:
> https://github.com/talos-gis/gdalos
>
> I was wandering if gdalwarp can do anything that gdal_translate can do (and
> much more), why is gdal_translate needed? do they use the same backend for
> tasks that gdal_translate can do?

They use completely different techniques. gdal_translate will be
faster than gdalwarp when no reprojection, cutlining, etc. is needed
gdalwarp can only work with output drivers that have full random-write
capabilities (e.g. TIFF), whereas gdal_translate can support, in addition
to those ones, all drivers that have create copy mode (e.g PNG)

See
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/FAQRaster#Whywontgdalwarporgdal_mergewritetomostformats

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: relationship between gdalwarp and gdal_translate

Idan Miara
got it, thanks!!!