[gdal-dev] merging rasters setting opacity

[gdal-dev] merging rasters setting opacity

Stefano Iacovella
Dear all

sorry for the newbie question. I did some experiments with gdal but I was unable gettint to the target.

I have a DTM in ASCII GRID, I produced an hillshade relief with gdaldem program and saved the ouput in a tiff file.
What I would like to do now is to merge this tiff with an other tiff containing the DTM with a color ramp rendering. The merge should be done setting the opacity of one of the two tiff file to avoid complete overriding. I wonder if this could be done creating a vrt dataset of the two files and editing the vrt file.
Any hints?

thanks for your hints

stefano iacovella

[gdal-dev] Re: merging rasters setting opacity

Stefano Iacovella
I made some further experiments. I managed to get a colour-relief with gdaldem command, setting the alpha opacity in the color_text_file.
Now I've got two files with the desired output, an hillshade and a colour-relief.
The next step I'm wondering hot to do is to merge this two representation in one.
Is there an equivalent form of image magik command composite in gdal?

thank you again for any hint or suggestion

Stefano