Quantcast

[gdal-dev] mapping of shadows casted by other slopes

[gdal-dev] mapping of shadows casted by other slopes

奈佐原(西田)顕郎
Dear GDAL people:

Using DSM, I want a "shadow map" not only by the slope
itself but also by the other slopes. I mean, if a tall and
steep peak exists, and if it is illuminated by the sun from
near the horizon, the shadow of the peak falls on a wide
area of the foot of the mountain. Such shadow is normally
not estimated by a simple "hillsahde" algorithm, which
includes the "gdaldem" command. I want to map such
shadows as well as the normal "hillshade" shadows.

If you know a library or command to help it, please let
me know!!

--
Kenlo Nishida Nasahara
Faculty of Life and Environmental Sciences

Re: mapping of shadows casted by other slopes

Newcomb, Doug
Kenlo,
Suggest you look at  GRASS GIS r.sun , https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/r.sun.html.

Doug

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:16 AM, NASAHARA Kenlo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear GDAL people:

Using DSM, I want a "shadow map" not only by the slope
itself but also by the other slopes. I mean, if a tall and
steep peak exists, and if it is illuminated by the sun from
near the horizon, the shadow of the peak falls on a wide
area of the foot of the mountain. Such shadow is normally
not estimated by a simple "hillsahde" algorithm, which
includes the "gdaldem" command. I want to map such
shadows as well as the normal "hillshade" shadows.

If you know a library or command to help it, please let
me know!!

--
Kenlo Nishida Nasahara
Faculty of Life and Environmental Sciences
University of Tsukuba, Japan 305-8572

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
551F Pylon Dr
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 [hidden email]
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.
NOTE: This email correspondence and any attachments to and from this sender is subject to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and may be disclosed to third parties.

Re: mapping of shadows casted by other slopes

Volker Wichmann-2
Hi,

another, may be simpler option is SAGA GIS, its analytical hillshading
tool includes a ray tracing option:

http://www.saga-gis.org/saga_tool_doc/4.1.0/ta_lighting_0.html

Volker