[gdal-dev] learning GDAL with C/C++

joseph.nalluri
Hello All,

  I am very pleased to find this forum. This is my first post. Please bear with me. In my project, I am trying to read in .bil file (hyperspectral image) into my C/C++ code. ( I haven't done this yet, because I am still trying to see, how can I do it).
 After I read in, I run some image processing algorithms on it and perform this on a cluster. Is there a good tutorial/guide on this aspect, which could help me out.
 Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am just starting out on this.

Thanks,
Joseph

Re: learning GDAL with C/C++

Frank Warmerdam
Joseph,

I'd start with http://www.gdal.org/gdal_tutorial.html, the general purpose
API tutorial.  It isn't comprehensive, but I think it is fairly good for the
areas covered.

Note that GDAL does not directly help with distributed processing.  I
assume this is what you mean by running on a cluster.  You could
take care of farming out chunks yourself or have each process on the
cluster use GDAL to read chunks, but be cautious about writing to
one file from multiple processes.

Best regards,
Frank

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM, joseph.nalluri
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>  I am very pleased to find this forum. This is my first post. Please bear
> with me. In my project, I am trying to read in .bil file (hyperspectral
> image) into my C/C++ code. ( I haven't done this yet, because I am still
> trying to see, how can I do it).
>  After I read in, I run some image processing algorithms on it and perform
> this on a cluster. Is there a good tutorial/guide on this aspect, which
> could help me out.
>  Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am just starting out on this.
>
> Thanks,
> Joseph

Re: learning GDAL with C/C++

joseph.nalluri
Frank Warmerdam wrote

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
>  I am very pleased to find this forum. This is my first post. Please bear
> with me. In my project, I am trying to read in .bil file (hyperspectral
> image) into my C/C++ code. ( I haven't done this yet, because I am still
> trying to see, how can I do it).
>  After I read in, I run some image processing algorithms on it and perform
> this on a cluster. Is there a good tutorial/guide on this aspect, which
> could help me out.
>  Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am just starting out on this.
>
> Thanks,
> Joseph

Thanks.
I have a .bil file with an associated .hdr file with metadata. Do I have to read in the .hdr file and manually prepare the variables or is there a specified function? I could not find much info. about .hdr file.
I am not sure what should the values be for pixel height and pixel width. I am using a 16 bit resolution camera.
Can you advise me on what steps I need to undertake when creating a C prog which would be inputted with a .bil file?

Sincerely,
Joseph

Re: learning GDAL with C/C++

Frank Warmerdam
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM, joseph.nalluri
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks.
> I have a .bil file with an associated .hdr file with metadata. Do I have to
> read in the .hdr file and manually prepare the variables or is there a
> specified function? I could not find much info. about .hdr file.
> I am not sure what should the values be for pixel height and pixel width. I
> am using a 16 bit resolution camera.
> Can you advise me on what steps I need to undertake when creating a C prog
> which would be inputted with a .bil file?

Joseph,

GDAL should automatically read the .hdr file if you call
GDALOpen() on the .bil file.

You can test in advance with gdalinfo by running gdalinfo
against your .bil file.