[gdal-dev] gdalbuildvrt with different resolutions

[gdal-dev] gdalbuildvrt with different resolutions

Christoph Paulik

Hi,

Would it be possible/a good idea to add an option to gdalbuildvrt to force all files
to be of the same resolution?

We have files that go into a VRT that should all have the same
resolution and I would like an error to be raised if they do not. We
could of course implement an external check but I think this would be a
good feature for gdal.

An argument like

-resolution same

could force a check.

All the best,
Christoph

Re: gdalbuildvrt with different resolutions

jratike80
Christoph Paulik wrote

> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible/a good idea to add an option to gdalbuildvrt to force
> all files
> to be of the same resolution?
>
> We have files that go into a VRT that should all have the same
> resolution and I would like an error to be raised if they do not. We
> could of course implement an external check but I think this would be a
> good feature for gdal.
>
> An argument like
>
> -resolution same
>
> could force a check.
>
> All the best,
> Christoph

Hi,

The "-skip_different_projection" option in the gdaltindex utility
http://www.gdal.org/gdaltindex.html has some analogy with your suggestion.

You did not define the meaning of "same" and "different" resolutions. Would
you like to give the "right" resolution by hand or should all the files be
pre-scanned so that user gets a list of all different resolutions that
appear in the data?

I feel that your need is rather specific for a general purpose tool like
gdalbuildvrt. What if you write a Python file filtering script and publish
that for example in
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/swig/python/samples, topped
up with a manual page in the user wiki section? Such script could be made to
filter the source files according to other criteria as well: SRS, band
count, bit depth, metadata etc.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Re: gdalbuildvrt with different resolutions

Christoph Paulik

Hi,

What I imagined would be the option for getting an error message if not all of the files have
the same resolution.

Something like -allow_projection_difference but the other way around.

Maybe -disallow_different_resolutions is clearer than my previous suggestion.

All the best,
Christoph