Funny, because while you were sending this email, I was just working on this!, since someone else reported the issue in
Thanks for the patch. I've committed a changeset that is a bit a mix of your and my work (see ticket). Note that your original patch fails to open PDF files at runtime (likely due to issues in GDALPDFDictionaryPoppler::Get() / GDALPDFArrayPoppler::Get()). I've also added the needed change in GDALmake.opt.in and in Windows makefiles.
You can check good behaviour of the PDF driver by running autotest/gdrivers/pdf.py and autotest/ogr/ogr_pdf.py
I'd suggest packagers to run the whole testsuite (python run_all.py in autotest/) before releasing their packages. There can be some occasional failures due to network issues, or checksum differences du to slightly third-party lib version differency, but at least that can give a picture if things are completely broken or not.
> As a part of update of poppler to 0.59.0 in Fedora, I patched all
> depending packages to build with the new Object API. You can find the