[gdal-dev] arcsde

Jachym Cepicky
Hi all,

I would expect, this topic would be covered in [1], or that google
would help - unluckily, it did not, therefore I'm asking here:

Is there step-by-step approach for how to get GDAL compiled with
support for ArcSDE data sources on Linux? What libraries are needed
and where to get them?

Some manual simple and similar to description about how to get
Geodatabase up and running would be nice.

Thank you

Jachym

[1] https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/sde.html
--
Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com

Re: arcsde

Even Rouault-2
Jachym,

Some more info at https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/ArcSDE

from what I remember from noise captured here and there during last years:
- ESRI has stopped distributing the ArcSDE SDK in "recent" versions. So you have to
be one the "happy few" that have still a copy of it to be able to - try to - compile the driver
- looking at the commit history, the person who has last pushed a fix in this
driver, and presumably compiled it while doing so, was Tamas in 2012. Since
then all commits into it have likely been done in a blind way (grep-style replacement, etc)
Perhaps it still builds, by chance... ?

Not GDAL, but you might find it interesting to read:
https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/73399/esri-legacy-arcsde-sde30-deprecation.html

Probably this driver and its raster counterpart should just be removed.
Unless someone says "eh I still use it, it compiles and runs fine"

Good luck !

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: arcsde

Jachym Cepicky
Thank you Even, will look into it

Removing SDE from list of supported formats makes sense

pá 22. 11. 2019 v 21:42 odesílatel Even Rouault