[gdal-dev] ZSTD compression for GeoTIFF

Even Rouault-2

Hi,

I've just pushed in libtiff upstream, and its internal copy in GDAL, support for zstandard/zstd compression [1], and the appropriate changes in the GDAL GeoTIFF driver.

This requires building libtiff (or GDAL with its internal libtiff copy) against libzstd >= 1.0

My findings are that single-core compression is at least twice faster with zstd than with deflate, for equivalent or better compression rate. Decompression is a bit faster, but not that significantly.

So a compelling use case for zstd is potentially in complex processing chains where you have many intermediate internal products. At that point of adoption, I'd not recommend it for consumer-facing products.

Even

[1] https://github.com/facebook/zstd

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: ZSTD compression for GeoTIFF

Helmut Kudrnovsky
Even Rouault-2 wrote

> Hi,
>
> I've just pushed in libtiff upstream, and its internal copy in GDAL,
> support for zstandard/
> zstd compression [1], and the appropriate changes in the GDAL GeoTIFF
> driver.
> This requires building libtiff (or GDAL with its internal libtiff copy)
> against libzstd >= 1.0
> My findings are that single-core compression is at least twice faster with
> zstd than with
> deflate, for equivalent or better compression rate. Decompression is a bit
> faster, but not
> that significantly.
>
> So a compelling use case for zstd is potentially in complex processing
> chains where you
> have many intermediate internal products. At that point of adoption, I'd
> not recommend it
> for consumer-facing products.
>
> Even
>
> [1] https://github.com/facebook/zstd

 fyi

GRASS trunk has also already implemented ztsd as a raster compression
option.(1)

And it's available for testing already in the OSGeo4W-winGRASS trunk daily
builds.

(1) https://grass.osgeo.org/grass75/manuals/r.compress.html

-----
best regards