[gdal-dev] Willing to Pay for Help Building GDAL 3 on WIndows

[gdal-dev] Willing to Pay for Help Building GDAL 3 on WIndows

CDelancy
This post was updated on .
I am willing to pay someone more experienced with GDAL and PROJ to guide me
through the build process.

I am trying to update some software I am developing from depending on
version 2.4 to the latest. This requires me being able to build GDAL 3,
which I am currently not able to do on my own. This seems to be because I am
not able to build PROJ 6.0. I have spent several days on this now and am at
my wit's end.

If interested, contact me at cdelancy@blackfangtechnologies.com and name your
price.

Re: Willing to Pay for Help Building GDAL 3 on WIndows

Even Rouault-2
On lundi 27 mai 2019 06:17:32 CEST CDelancy wrote:

> I am willing to pay someone more experienced with GDAL and PROJ to guide me
> through the build process.
>
> I am trying to update some software I am developing from depending on
> version 2.4 to the latest. This requires me being able to build GDAL 3,
> which I am currently not able to do on my own. This seems to be because I am
> not able to build PROJ 6.0. I have spent several days on this now and am at
> my wit's end.
>
> If interested, contact me at cdelancy@blackfangtechnologies and name your
> price.

You may first look at the build recipees in
https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/blob/master/appveyor.yml
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/appveyor.yml

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Willing to Pay for Help Building GDAL 3 on WIndows

CDelancy
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I had never heard of a .yml file before your post and I would
not know what to do with what you have linked. My attempts to research it
haven't yielded anything useful.

Is 100 USD per hour worth anyone's time?

Re: Willing to Pay for Help Building GDAL 3 on WIndows

Mateusz Loskot

On Tue, 28 May 2019, 06:29 CDelancy, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I had never heard of a .yml file before your post and I would
not know what to do with what you have linked. My attempts to research it
haven't yielded anything useful.

It's plain text file with specification of steps to build GDAL used by CI servers.
The steps are plain to commands for Windows Command Prompt and/or PowerShell.

Simpky, you read it and replicate the same steps locally.

If you've ever compiled C/C++ software on Windows, iy all should look familiar.

--
Mateusz Loskot, [hidden email]
(Sent from mobile)

[gdal-dev] YAML, AppVeyor and the perks of continuous integration (Re: Willing to Pay for Help Building GDAL 3 on WIndows)

Raphael Das Gupta
On 28.05.19 06:29, CDelancy wrote:
Unfortunately, I had never heard of a .yml file before your post and I would
not know what to do with what you have linked. My attempts to research it
haven't yielded anything useful.
.yml is one of the file extensions for the text-based YAML data-serialization language. (The other one being .yaml)

It is usually used for configuration files of various kinds that have to be parsed by software but should also be as readable as possible for humans.

AppVeyor is a continuous integration service, that is, it can be made to automatically build software from source and/or to execute linting and other checks or functional tests on it. Because the steps needed differ from one software project to another, they need to be configurable. That configuration is done in YAML.

The GDAL and PROJ.4 projects also seems to use that service. And as the builds there are known to work (they run regularly and people get notified when they break and will usually try to fix them ASAP), the steps as configured in the respective YAML files are worth trying when you try to build them yourself.

Because the YAML syntax is inspired by well-known and easy-to-comprehend conventions (similar e.g. to how bullet lists are represented in plaintext emails or other plaintext documents), you don't even need to really know the YAML file format to understand most of the configuration content. (I.e., understand what the build steps are command-wise. What each step does in detail or when and why it is needed might of course need more knowledge to understand.)

Good luck and kind regards,
Raphael

Re: YAML, AppVeyor and the perks of continuous integration (Re: Willing to Pay for Help Building GDAL 3 on WIndows)

CDelancy
Thank you so much for the explanation, however, I fear it will not help my
problem.

You see, I cannot build GDAL3 without PROJ4 6.0, and I wouldn't want to
because important functionality would be missing. However, I cannot build
PROJ because it depends on SQLite3. I cannot build SQlite3 because there
appear to be errors in the instructions provided here:
https://sqlite.org/src/doc/trunk/README.md

"For example:

    mkdir bld
    cd bld
    nmake /f Makefile.msc TOP=..\sqlite
    nmake /f Makefile.msc sqlite3.c TOP=..\sqlite
    nmake /f Makefile.msc sqlite3.dll TOP=..\sqlite
    nmake /f Makefile.msc sqlite3.exe TOP=..\sqlite
    nmake /f Makefile.msc test TOP=..\sqlite"

However, there is no Makefile in the bld directory that was just created, so
"fatal error U1052: file 'Makefile.msc' not found" results.

If I alter the instructions to cd back into the parent sqlite folder where a
makefile is located, I get

"        tclsh ..\sqlite\tool\mkopcodec.tcl opcodes.h > opcodes.c
'tclsh' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'tclsh' : return code '0x1'
Stop."

So I Google "tclsh" and now I'm off on in search for a program called
ActiveTcl. The quest for dependencies has no end in sight.

After installing that program, I return to trying to build sqlite3 with the
modified command dicuseed previously, the new result is:

"sqlite3.c
sqlite3.c(19711): error C2065: 'OPFLG_INITIALIZER': undeclared identifier
sqlite3.c(19711): error C2099: initializer is not a constant
sqlite3.c(76038): error C2065: 'OP_Init': undeclared identifier
sqlite3.c(76263): error C2065: 'OP_Goto': undeclared identifier
sqlite3.c(76270): error C2065: 'OP_String8': undeclared identifier
sqlite3.c(76292): error C2065: 'OP_Null': undeclared identifier
sqlite3.c(76292): error C2065: 'OP_String8': undeclared identifier
sqlite3.c(76294): error C2065: 'OP_Integer': undeclared identifier
sqlite3.c(76299): error C2065: 'OP_ResultRow': undeclared identifier
sqlite3.c(76384): error C2065: 'OP_Explain': undeclared identifier
sqlite3.c(76412): error C2065: 'OP_ParseSchema': undeclared identifier"

Lines like this continue until

"sqlite3.c(85452): fatal error C1003: error count exceeds 100; stopping
compilation
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\bin\HostX86\x86\cl.EXE"' :
return code '0x2'
Stop."

So, here I am at a dead end.

Re: YAML, AppVeyor and the perks of continuous integration (Re: Willing to Pay for Help Building GDAL 3 on WIndows)

Marsh, Chris
Sorry to hear you're having these issues. I unfortunately don't do windows dev, so I'm not really sure what to suggest build wise.

However, if you're stuck on the build proj4 step of building gdal, I would suggest you try their mailing list. I've had good luck there. Especially if they have errors in their build documentation.

Cheers
Chris

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 7:41 PM CDelancy <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Alan Thomas
Is there a particular reason why you are building PROJ and SQLite from
scratch? Unless you have a special reason to build these tools (e.g.
custom code), you can download the pre-built binaries (.dll and .lib
files) of these tools from Tamas Szekeres at
http://gisinternals.com/sdk.php. Then, in your gdal/nmake.local file
(you may need to create it if it does not exist), add

# Include PROJ support
# These variables should point to paths in the GIS Internals Development Kit
PROJ_INCLUDE = -I"c:\path\to\release-1xxx-x64\include\proj6"
PROJ_LIBRARY = c:\path\to\release-1xxx-x64\lib\proj_6_0.lib

In particular I highly doubt there is a reason that you need to build
SQLite from scratch...

Alan

On Wed, 29 May 2019 at 11:41, CDelancy
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you so much for the explanation, however, I fear it will not help my
> problem.
>
> You see, I cannot build GDAL3 without PROJ4 6.0, and I wouldn't want to
> because important functionality would be missing. However, I cannot build
> PROJ because it depends on SQLite3. I cannot build SQlite3 because there
> appear to be errors in the instructions provided here:
> https://sqlite.org/src/doc/trunk/README.md
>
> "For example:
>
>     mkdir bld
>     cd bld
>     nmake /f Makefile.msc TOP=..\sqlite
>     nmake /f Makefile.msc sqlite3.c TOP=..\sqlite
>     nmake /f Makefile.msc sqlite3.dll TOP=..\sqlite
>     nmake /f Makefile.msc sqlite3.exe TOP=..\sqlite
>     nmake /f Makefile.msc test TOP=..\sqlite"
>
> However, there is no Makefile in the bld directory that was just created, so
> "fatal error U1052: file 'Makefile.msc' not found" results.
>
> If I alter the instructions to cd back into the parent sqlite folder where a
> makefile is located, I get
>
> "        tclsh ..\sqlite\tool\mkopcodec.tcl opcodes.h > opcodes.c
> 'tclsh' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'tclsh' : return code '0x1'
> Stop."
>
> So I Google "tclsh" and now I'm off on in search for a program called
> ActiveTcl. The quest for dependencies has no end in sight.
>
> After installing that program, I return to trying to build sqlite3 with the
> modified command dicuseed previously, the new result is:
>
> "sqlite3.c
> sqlite3.c(19711): error C2065: 'OPFLG_INITIALIZER': undeclared identifier
> sqlite3.c(19711): error C2099: initializer is not a constant
> sqlite3.c(76038): error C2065: 'OP_Init': undeclared identifier
> sqlite3.c(76263): error C2065: 'OP_Goto': undeclared identifier
> sqlite3.c(76270): error C2065: 'OP_String8': undeclared identifier
> sqlite3.c(76292): error C2065: 'OP_Null': undeclared identifier
> sqlite3.c(76292): error C2065: 'OP_String8': undeclared identifier
> sqlite3.c(76294): error C2065: 'OP_Integer': undeclared identifier
> sqlite3.c(76299): error C2065: 'OP_ResultRow': undeclared identifier
> sqlite3.c(76384): error C2065: 'OP_Explain': undeclared identifier
> sqlite3.c(76412): error C2065: 'OP_ParseSchema': undeclared identifier"
>
> Lines like this continue until
>
> "sqlite3.c(85452): fatal error C1003: error count exceeds 100; stopping
> compilation
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\bin\HostX86\x86\cl.EXE"' :
> return code '0x2'
> Stop."
>
> So, here I am at a dead end.
>

> --