[gdal-dev] WMS, blocksize and black lines

[gdal-dev] WMS, blocksize and black lines

agerrius
Hi all,

I'm trying to create a WMS XML to access some WMS data in GDAL. But I
get black lines in the resulting image. I have found out that if I
reduce the size of the BlockSize in the WMS XML that the lines get more
narrow, but the download speed of the images also reduces a lot. Am I
missing some setting here to make it work?

This is the XML file I use:

<GDAL_WMS>
   <Service name="WMS">
     <Version>1.1.1</Version>

<ServerUrl>https://gis.apfo.usda.gov/arcgis/services/NAIP/Illinois/ImageServer/WMSServer?SERVICE=WMS</ServerUrl>
     <Layers>0</Layers>
     <SRS>EPSG:4326</SRS>
     <ImageFormat>image/tiff</ImageFormat>
     <Transparent>FALSE</Transparent>
     <BBoxOrder>xyXY</BBoxOrder>
   </Service>
   <DataWindow>
     <UpperLeftX>-91.562525</UpperLeftX>
     <UpperLeftY>42.562525</UpperLeftY>
     <LowerRightX>-87.437470</LowerRightX>
     <LowerRightY>36.937474</LowerRightY>
        <SizeX>370834</SizeX>
     <SizeY>625056</SizeY>
   </DataWindow>
   <BandsCount>4</BandsCount>
   <UnsafeSSL>true</UnsafeSSL>
   <BlockSizeX>1024</BlockSizeX>
   <BlockSizeY>1024</BlockSizeY>
</GDAL_WMS>

And this is a sample call that shows the black lines:

gdal_translate -projwin -88.0 42.0 -87.99 41.99 wms.xml test.tif

With regards,

--
Arno

Re: WMS, blocksize and black lines

Chris Smemoe
Arno,

I suspect the black lines has something to do with using the -projwin
argument to gdal_translate along with the DataWindow tag information in the
XML file.  The following XML works fine for me with the following command
line: "gdal_translate wms.xml test.tif"

<GDAL_WMS>
   <Service name="WMS">
     <Version>1.1.1</Version>

<ServerUrl>https://gis.apfo.usda.gov/arcgis/services/NAIP/Illinois/ImageServ
er/WMSServer</ServerUrl>
     <ImageFormat>tiff</ImageFormat>
     <Layers>0</Layers>
     <BBoxOrder>xyXY</BBoxOrder>
     <SRS>EPSG:4326</SRS>
   </Service>
   <DataWindow>
     <UpperLeftX>-89.0</UpperLeftX>
     <UpperLeftY>42.0</UpperLeftY>
     <LowerRightX>-88.0</LowerRightX>
     <LowerRightY>41.0</LowerRightY>
     <SizeX>1024</SizeX>
     <SizeY>1024</SizeY>
   </DataWindow>
   <UnsafeSSL>true</UnsafeSSL>
</GDAL_WMS>

Chris

Re: WMS, blocksize and black lines

agerrius
Chris,

Thanks for the answer, if I put the window in the XML file it indeed
also works for me.

But in my application I am sampling the GDAL dataset from code and
setting a different window each time from code as well. So to modify the
WMS XML every time in that case would not really be a work able
solution.

This approach worked fine in the past with another WMS server, so I was
hoping I missed some setting somewhere or so. I'll do some more
experimentation.

Arno

--
Arno

Re: WMS, blocksize and black lines

agerrius
Just a little follow-up on this. I found another WMS server with the
same images and it doesn't show these black lines. So I guess it is also
something with this specific WMS server and not in GDAL.

Arno

--
Arno