[gdal-dev] Twenty years of GDAL !

Even Rouault-2
Hi,

I nearly missed it [1] (actually I'm already on the 18th here, but let's consider
Canadian time so still on the 17th), but exactly 20 years go on Oct 17th 1998,
Frank Warmerdam committed for the first time in the CSV repository.

'''
commit 149db916aafcbee9bb64572fafda83441c94a552
Author: Frank Warmerdam <[hidden email]>
Date:   Sat Oct 17 19:24:36 1998 +0000

    Initial implementation.

    git-svn-id: https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk@2 f0d54148-0727-0410-94bb-9a71ac55c965
'''

https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/commit/149db916aafcbee9bb64572fafda83441c94a552

169 lines for a first version of the virtual I/O layer...

Since then,
* 39075 commits have been added on top of it,
* 159 raster drivers
* 96 vector drivers [2]
* by 161 committers (actually there are more contributors, here just counting
  the ones who have directly authored a CVS, SVN or git commit),
* adding 7110 files in the repository, for a grand total of
* 2.192 millions lines in 3745 files with extensions c, cpp, h, hh, hpp, py,
  html, java, cs, i, pl, vc, sh, bat, dox, ac, GNUmakefile (80 MB) (all the text files)
  so an average of 300 lines per day added
* 64 releases
* 6287 tickets closed
* 49097 messages posted on gdal-dev
* more than 100 software proudly mentionning using it

Happy birthday and long life to GDAL and its commmnity of contributors, either
by code, documentation, testing, packaging, reports, ... !

Even

[1] thanks to Robert Coup for reminding me a few days ago about the approaching date !
[2] you'll note that 155 + 96 = 255, but I don't think there's a
    Byte limitation for the number of drivers ...

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Twenty years of GDAL !

David Fawcett
Thank you Frank, Even, and everyone else who has contributed.

GDAL is at the heart of most open source and proprietary GIS systems!

> On Oct 17, 2018, at 8:51 PM, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I nearly missed it [1] (actually I'm already on the 18th here, but let's consider
> Canadian time so still on the 17th), but exactly 20 years go on Oct 17th 1998,
> Frank Warmerdam committed for the first time in the CSV repository.
>
> '''
> commit 149db916aafcbee9bb64572fafda83441c94a552
> Author: Frank Warmerdam <[hidden email]>
> Date:   Sat Oct 17 19:24:36 1998 +0000
>
>    Initial implementation.
>

>    git-svn-id: https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk@2 f0d54148-0727-0410-94bb-9a71ac55c965
> '''
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/commit/149db916aafcbee9bb64572fafda83441c94a552
>
> 169 lines for a first version of the virtual I/O layer...
>
> Since then,
> * 39075 commits have been added on top of it,
> * 159 raster drivers
> * 96 vector drivers [2]
> * by 161 committers (actually there are more contributors, here just counting
>  the ones who have directly authored a CVS, SVN or git commit),
> * adding 7110 files in the repository, for a grand total of
> * 2.192 millions lines in 3745 files with extensions c, cpp, h, hh, hpp, py,
>  html, java, cs, i, pl, vc, sh, bat, dox, ac, GNUmakefile (80 MB) (all the text files)
>  so an average of 300 lines per day added
> * 64 releases
> * 6287 tickets closed
> * 49097 messages posted on gdal-dev
> * more than 100 software proudly mentionning using it
>
> Happy birthday and long life to GDAL and its commmnity of contributors, either
> by code, documentation, testing, packaging, reports, ... !
>
> Even
>
> [1] thanks to Robert Coup for reminding me a few days ago about the approaching date !
> [2] you'll note that 155 + 96 = 255, but I don't think there's a
>    Byte limitation for the number of drivers ...

> http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Twenty years of GDAL !

Dmitry Baryshnikov-2
Happy birthday GDAL!

Best regards,
     Dmitry

18.10.2018 4:51, Even Rouault пишет:

> Hi,
>
> I nearly missed it [1] (actually I'm already on the 18th here, but let's consider
> Canadian time so still on the 17th), but exactly 20 years go on Oct 17th 1998,
> Frank Warmerdam committed for the first time in the CSV repository.
>
> '''
> commit 149db916aafcbee9bb64572fafda83441c94a552
> Author: Frank Warmerdam <[hidden email]>
> Date:   Sat Oct 17 19:24:36 1998 +0000
>
>      Initial implementation.
>

>      git-svn-id: https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk@2 f0d54148-0727-0410-94bb-9a71ac55c965
> '''
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/commit/149db916aafcbee9bb64572fafda83441c94a552
>
> 169 lines for a first version of the virtual I/O layer...
>
> Since then,
> * 39075 commits have been added on top of it,
> * 159 raster drivers
> * 96 vector drivers [2]
> * by 161 committers (actually there are more contributors, here just counting
>    the ones who have directly authored a CVS, SVN or git commit),
> * adding 7110 files in the repository, for a grand total of
> * 2.192 millions lines in 3745 files with extensions c, cpp, h, hh, hpp, py,
>    html, java, cs, i, pl, vc, sh, bat, dox, ac, GNUmakefile (80 MB) (all the text files)
>    so an average of 300 lines per day added
> * 64 releases
> * 6287 tickets closed
> * 49097 messages posted on gdal-dev
> * more than 100 software proudly mentionning using it
>
> Happy birthday and long life to GDAL and its commmnity of contributors, either
> by code, documentation, testing, packaging, reports, ... !
>
> Even
>
> [1] thanks to Robert Coup for reminding me a few days ago about the approaching date !
> [2] you'll note that 155 + 96 = 255, but I don't think there's a
>      Byte limitation for the number of drivers ...

Re: Twenty years of GDAL !

Mateusz Loskot
Happy Birthday GDAL!

GDAL is an important project for me personally.
Back in 2006, a completely accidental chat with Frank Warmerdam on IRC
led me to change my job - in January 2007 I became GDAL paid maintainer -
and sequence of events that followed led to a significant change of my
professional career.

Thanks Frank and all the members of the GDAL Team and Community!

Best regards,
Mateusz

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 at 03:51, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I nearly missed it [1] (actually I'm already on the 18th here, but let's consider
> Canadian time so still on the 17th), but exactly 20 years go on Oct 17th 1998,
> Frank Warmerdam committed for the first time in the CSV repository.
>
> '''
> commit 149db916aafcbee9bb64572fafda83441c94a552
> Author: Frank Warmerdam <[hidden email]>
> Date:   Sat Oct 17 19:24:36 1998 +0000
>
>     Initial implementation.
>

>     git-svn-id: https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk@2 f0d54148-0727-0410-94bb-9a71ac55c965
> '''
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/commit/149db916aafcbee9bb64572fafda83441c94a552
>
> 169 lines for a first version of the virtual I/O layer...
>
> Since then,
> * 39075 commits have been added on top of it,
> * 159 raster drivers
> * 96 vector drivers [2]
> * by 161 committers (actually there are more contributors, here just counting
>   the ones who have directly authored a CVS, SVN or git commit),
> * adding 7110 files in the repository, for a grand total of
> * 2.192 millions lines in 3745 files with extensions c, cpp, h, hh, hpp, py,
>   html, java, cs, i, pl, vc, sh, bat, dox, ac, GNUmakefile (80 MB) (all the text files)
>   so an average of 300 lines per day added
> * 64 releases
> * 6287 tickets closed
> * 49097 messages posted on gdal-dev
> * more than 100 software proudly mentionning using it
>
> Happy birthday and long life to GDAL and its commmnity of contributors, either
> by code, documentation, testing, packaging, reports, ... !
>
> Even
>
> [1] thanks to Robert Coup for reminding me a few days ago about the approaching date !
> [2] you'll note that 155 + 96 = 255, but I don't think there's a
>     Byte limitation for the number of drivers ...

> http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Twenty years of GDAL !

Mateusz Loskot
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 at 09:23, Mateusz Loskot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Happy Birthday GDAL!
>
> GDAL is an important project for me personally.
> Back in 2006, a completely accidental chat with Frank Warmerdam on IRC
> led me to change my job - in January 2007 I became GDAL paid maintainer -

Actually, that started since April 2006.
Ha, time flies!

Re: Twenty years of GDAL !

Andreas Neumann-4
Hi gdal-devs,

Many thanks for your efforts in the past years - it is much appreciated!

Many people don't realize that they use your software (behind the
scenes) on every work day ...

It is nice to be able to use your drivers and utilities and build
something on top of it - without restrictions!

Greetings,

Andreas

Am 18.10.2018 um 09:23 schrieb Mateusz Loskot:

> Happy Birthday GDAL!
>

> GDAL is an important project for me personally.
> Back in 2006, a completely accidental chat with Frank Warmerdam on IRC
> led me to change my job - in January 2007 I became GDAL paid maintainer -
> and sequence of events that followed led to a significant change of my
> professional career.
>
> Thanks Frank and all the members of the GDAL Team and Community!
>
> Best regards,
> Mateusz
>
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 at 03:51, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I nearly missed it [1] (actually I'm already on the 18th here, but let's consider
>> Canadian time so still on the 17th), but exactly 20 years go on Oct 17th 1998,
>> Frank Warmerdam committed for the first time in the CSV repository.
>>
>> '''
>> commit 149db916aafcbee9bb64572fafda83441c94a552
>> Author: Frank Warmerdam <[hidden email]>
>> Date:   Sat Oct 17 19:24:36 1998 +0000
>>
>>      Initial implementation.
>>

>>      git-svn-id: https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk@2 f0d54148-0727-0410-94bb-9a71ac55c965
>> '''
>>
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/commit/149db916aafcbee9bb64572fafda83441c94a552
>>
>> 169 lines for a first version of the virtual I/O layer...
>>
>> Since then,
>> * 39075 commits have been added on top of it,
>> * 159 raster drivers
>> * 96 vector drivers [2]
>> * by 161 committers (actually there are more contributors, here just counting
>>    the ones who have directly authored a CVS, SVN or git commit),
>> * adding 7110 files in the repository, for a grand total of
>> * 2.192 millions lines in 3745 files with extensions c, cpp, h, hh, hpp, py,
>>    html, java, cs, i, pl, vc, sh, bat, dox, ac, GNUmakefile (80 MB) (all the text files)
>>    so an average of 300 lines per day added
>> * 64 releases
>> * 6287 tickets closed
>> * 49097 messages posted on gdal-dev
>> * more than 100 software proudly mentionning using it
>>
>> Happy birthday and long life to GDAL and its commmnity of contributors, either
>> by code, documentation, testing, packaging, reports, ... !
>>
>> Even
>>
>> [1] thanks to Robert Coup for reminding me a few days ago about the approaching date !
>> [2] you'll note that 155 + 96 = 255, but I don't think there's a
>>      Byte limitation for the number of drivers ...
>>
>> --
>> Spatialys - Geospatial professional services
>> http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Twenty years of GDAL !

jmckenna
Administrator
Happy birthday GDAL!  (I shared a beer last week with Frank in SanFran)
Thank you to Frank, Even, and the whole GDAL community of coders,
testers, packagers, and users!

-jeff

On 2018-10-17 10:51 PM, Even Rouault wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I nearly missed it [1] (actually I'm already on the 18th here, but let's consider
> Canadian time so still on the 17th), but exactly 20 years go on Oct 17th 1998,
> Frank Warmerdam committed for the first time in the CSV repository.
>
> '''
> commit 149db916aafcbee9bb64572fafda83441c94a552
> Author: Frank Warmerdam <[hidden email]>
> Date:   Sat Oct 17 19:24:36 1998 +0000
>
>      Initial implementation.
>

>      git-svn-id: https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk@2 f0d54148-0727-0410-94bb-9a71ac55c965
> '''
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/commit/149db916aafcbee9bb64572fafda83441c94a552
>
> 169 lines for a first version of the virtual I/O layer...
>
> Since then,
> * 39075 commits have been added on top of it,
> * 159 raster drivers
> * 96 vector drivers [2]
> * by 161 committers (actually there are more contributors, here just counting
>    the ones who have directly authored a CVS, SVN or git commit),
> * adding 7110 files in the repository, for a grand total of
> * 2.192 millions lines in 3745 files with extensions c, cpp, h, hh, hpp, py,
>    html, java, cs, i, pl, vc, sh, bat, dox, ac, GNUmakefile (80 MB) (all the text files)
>    so an average of 300 lines per day added
> * 64 releases
> * 6287 tickets closed
> * 49097 messages posted on gdal-dev
> * more than 100 software proudly mentionning using it
>
> Happy birthday and long life to GDAL and its commmnity of contributors, either
> by code, documentation, testing, packaging, reports, ... !
>
> Even
>
> [1] thanks to Robert Coup for reminding me a few days ago about the approaching date !
> [2] you'll note that 155 + 96 = 255, but I don't think there's a
>      Byte limitation for the number of drivers ...

--
Jeff McKenna
https://gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: Twenty years of GDAL !

Norman Barker-2
Happy Birthday GDAL! GDAL has been a large chunk of my professional career. I am still using the library and tools every day.

Thank you Frank, Even and the entire GDAL community.

Norman

On 2018-10-17 10:51 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I nearly missed it [1] (actually I'm already on the 18th here, but let's consider
> Canadian time so still on the 17th), but exactly 20 years go on Oct 17th 1998,
> Frank Warmerdam committed for the first time in the CSV repository.
>
> '''
> commit 149db916aafcbee9bb64572fafda83441c94a552
> Author: Frank Warmerdam <[hidden email]>
> Date:   Sat Oct 17 19:24:36 1998 +0000
>
>      Initial implementation.
>

>      git-svn-id: https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk@2 f0d54148-0727-0410-94bb-9a71ac55c965
> '''
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/commit/149db916aafcbee9bb64572fafda83441c94a552
>
> 169 lines for a first version of the virtual I/O layer...
>
> Since then,
> * 39075 commits have been added on top of it,
> * 159 raster drivers
> * 96 vector drivers [2]
> * by 161 committers (actually there are more contributors, here just counting
>    the ones who have directly authored a CVS, SVN or git commit),
> * adding 7110 files in the repository, for a grand total of
> * 2.192 millions lines in 3745 files with extensions c, cpp, h, hh, hpp, py,
>    html, java, cs, i, pl, vc, sh, bat, dox, ac, GNUmakefile (80 MB) (all the text files)
>    so an average of 300 lines per day added
> * 64 releases
> * 6287 tickets closed
> * 49097 messages posted on gdal-dev
> * more than 100 software proudly mentionning using it
>
> Happy birthday and long life to GDAL and its commmnity of contributors, either
> by code, documentation, testing, packaging, reports, ... !
>
> Even
>
> [1] thanks to Robert Coup for reminding me a few days ago about the approaching date !
> [2] you'll note that 155 + 96 = 255, but I don't think there's a
>      Byte limitation for the number of drivers ...

--
Jeff McKenna
https://gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: Twenty years of GDAL !

Frank Warmerdam
Even,

Wow, 20 years!  Thanks for pointing out this milestone.

It is a huge pleasure to know that:
 - it has been a core technology supporting so many other software packages and projects
 - it has been a project that lots of people have felt comfortable contributing to

GDAL is the core of our data processing pipeline at Planet where we have a number of esoteric internal GDAL drivers, so I continue to use it every day.

Special thanks to Even who's outsize contribution has kept the project healthy and progressing as I focused on other activities.

Best regards,
Frank

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 6:51 PM Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I nearly missed it [1] (actually I'm already on the 18th here, but let's consider
Canadian time so still on the 17th), but exactly 20 years go on Oct 17th 1998,
Frank Warmerdam committed for the first time in the CSV repository.

'''
commit 149db916aafcbee9bb64572fafda83441c94a552

Re: Twenty years of GDAL !

Kralidis, Tom (EC)
Congratulations to all of the GDAL community for this milestone!

..Tom

Re: Twenty years of GDAL !

asmita
Blessed to have such a strong open source community! Happy birthday GDAL!

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018, 8:41 AM Kralidis, Tom (EC) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congratulations to all of the GDAL community for this milestone!

..Tom

Re: Twenty years of GDAL !

Abhay M
Great going!!

Thank you Frank, Even and all for the wonderful core technology that keeps us going. :)

Rgds,

Abhay.