[gdal-dev] Try to create a .bat for ogr2ogr

[gdal-dev] Try to create a .bat for ogr2ogr

João Gaspar
Hi guys,

i'm giving the first steps in this kind of programming.

So the scenario is:

I have a lot of users that dump work shapfiles into a folder, then i need to upload this files to a database into a single table (at this time i'm testing the PostGIS).

So I read some snippets code and some tutorials and i try to do the .bat but at this time i have some errors.

Note: I put the name of user and password with dummy value :)

The error that give me for the 2 test shapefiles that i try to import is:

ERROR 1: Unable to write feature 0 from layer Polygon1.

ERROR 1: Terminating translation prematurely after failed
translation of layer Polygon1 (use -skipfailures to skip errors)

ERROR 1: Unable to write feature 0 from layer Polygon2.

ERROR 1: Terminating translation prematurely after failed
translation of layer Polygon2 (use -skipfailures to skip errors)

My actual code of the .bat is:

@echo off
for %%I in (inputs_pggis\*.shp) do (
echo Import shapefile %%~nxI to schema temp.upload
  Tabela PostGIS ...
ogr2ogr -append -update -f PostgreSQL PG:"dbname='temp_gis' user='test_user' password='test_pss'" inputs_pggis/%%~nxI -nln temp.upload
)

Best Regards,
João

Re: Try to create a .bat for ogr2ogr

Bo Victor Thomsen
João -

Try to get to ogr2ogr command to work (or not work) from GDAL command-line environment (SDKShell.bat) with one shape file.

And  don't depend on defaults in the database connection string, ie. PG:"host=localhost port=5432 dbname='temp_gis' user='test_user' password='test_pss'"

You might try to simply create a new table in stead of appending to an existing table.

At a glance I suspect you have some kind of permission problem in the database

Checkpoint 101:
  1. Have you a Postgres/Postgis databaser server installed at localhost and listening on port 5432 ?
  2. Is your database user and password set correctly ?
  3. Has you a database 'temp_gis' with PostGIS enabled running on the local database server ?
  4. Has you a schema 'temp' in the database and a table 'upload' in schema ?
  5. Has the table the right structure and a geometry column ?
  6. Does the database user has permission to write data to the table ?
I suspect that no. 5 or 6 is the culprit.

Regards
Bo Victor Thomsen
Aestas-GIS
Denmark