[gdal-dev] Support for S-100 and S-102

Magee, Kelly

Hi,

I know GDAL/OGR supports S-57 format, but could not see where it supports S-100.

Is there a plan to support the latest IHO S-100 and S-102 standards in the near future?

Regards,

Kelly Magee

--

William Kelly Magee | Leidos

Senior Software Engineer | Maritime Solutions Division

phone: 401.847.4210
[hidden email][hidden email]| leidos.com/maritime

Re: Support for S-100 and S-102

Even Rouault-2
Kelly,

> I know GDAL/OGR supports S-57 format, but could not see where it supports
> S-100.
>
> Is there a plan to support the latest IHO S-100 and S-102 standards in the
> near future?

I'm not aware of anyone working on that currently.

I had difficulties finding concrete documentation about those standards
(specification and test products). From my quick search, it looks like :
- S-100 is a conceptual model,
- S-101 is for ENC encoding, a successor of S-57. Apparently still using
ISO-8211 for low level encoding.
- S-102 is bathymetric grid encoding in GeoTIFF or in BAG. So should be
already handled by GDAL

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Support for S-100 and S-102

Magee, Kelly
Evan,

Thanks for the reply, Do agree with you about the difficulty in finding concrete documentation.  There's plenty of enthusiasm and discussion regarding S-100, 101, 102 as the replacement for S-57 but that's about it.  Looking to see if there was a plan but it sounds like until things are well established this may be a ways off.  Do you know if there's a working group within the community that specifically monitors the IHO specs?

Thanks again,

- Kelly

On 07/05/2018 01:43 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
Kelly,

[...]

This email and any attachments to it are intended only for the identified recipients. It may contain proprietary or otherwise legally protected information of Leidos. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete or otherwise destroy the email and all attachments immediately.

Re: Support for S-100 and S-102

Kurt Schwehr-2
I'd be happy to connect anyone with the folks at NOAA, CCOM-JHC, and elsewhere who have been participating in drafting S-10x.  I only sat in on a few of the meetings long ago.

Specs should eventually end up here...https://www.iho.int/iho_pubs/IHO_Download.htm#S-100

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 10:43 AM, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:
Kelly,

> I know GDAL/OGR supports S-57 format, but could not see where it supports
> S-100.
>
> Is there a plan to support the latest IHO S-100 and S-102 standards in the
> near future?

I'm not aware of anyone working on that currently.

I had difficulties finding concrete documentation about those standards
(specification and test products). From my quick search, it looks like :
- S-100 is a conceptual model,
- S-101 is for ENC encoding, a successor of S-57. Apparently still using
ISO-8211 for low level encoding.
- S-102 is bathymetric grid encoding in GeoTIFF or in BAG. So should be
already handled by GDAL

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Support for S-100 and S-102

kusala nine
Hi - I don’t post a lot to this group but I work extensively with the IHO and the group developing S-100. It’s a fairly broad framework standard with multiple product specifications emerging from it and its own GML profile included in the encodings. Iso8211 is another encoding included in the main standard and would be a great place to start with any interoperability effort. S-100 ed4 is just being drafted - if anyone’s interested in building any compatible tools please get in touch, we’d be really keen to work with developers on it as we use the Gdal drivers extensively in the community....

Cheers

Jonathan
IIC technologies.

Sent from my iPhone

On 5 Jul 2018, at 21:12, Magee, Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<kmagee-signature_html_2d3ec5e1.gif>

This email and any attachments to it are intended only for the identified recipients. It may contain proprietary or otherwise legally protected information of Leidos. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete or otherwise destroy the email and all attachments immediately.

Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Support for S-100 and S-102

sji367
Hi all,

I would be happy to connect anyone from GDAL development to CCOM-JHC as I
am a grad student there.

Thanks,
Sam