[gdal-dev] Representing a grib file as a netCDF

[gdal-dev] Representing a grib file as a netCDF

Norman Barker-2
Hi,

I am currently working on representing a grib file as a netCDF file within GDAL. My plan is that if a user specifies the netCDF driver and opens a grib file then the metadata from the grib will be represented as a netCDF and the data can be read through that driver.

It may seem a bit odd since GDAL has a fully functional grib driver but it matches the use of the netCDF model when reading grib within most meteorological packages and enables me (and hopefully others) to match the metadata conventions in other packages.

Any feedback appreciated, I am working on this now and will have code for review shortly.

Thanks,

Norman

Re: Representing a grib file as a netCDF

Zachary Flamig
Hey Norman,

Interesting idea. I think it will be a little bit tricky because it is hard to uniquely label each band in a grib file.

I actually use a modified version of gdal_translate where I can specify the GRIB_ELEMENT, GRIB_SHORTNAME, and GRIB_FORECAST seconds that I want to match to extract specific bands. This lets me process similar grib files without having to map band numbers explicitly. I probably didn’t do this the best way, maybe it could use an SQL format like -where uses.

Just some quick thoughts,
Zac