[gdal-dev] Removing the *raster* OGDI driver ?

[gdal-dev] Removing the *raster* OGDI driver ?

Even Rouault-2

Hi,

I propose to remove the raster OGDI driver from trunk (the vector OGDI driver is still useful for VMAP/VPF/DCW)

There should be no reason to use it anymore since GDAL supports out of the box (and probably in a more efficient way) all the raster formats the OGDI bridge offers: ADRG, DTED and RPF (CADRG/CIB)

So speak up now if you see a strong reason to keep it alive.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Removing the *raster* OGDI driver ?

Markus Neteler
On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 2:24 PM, Even Rouault
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I propose to remove the raster OGDI driver from trunk (the vector OGDI
> driver is still useful for VMAP/VPF/DCW)
>
> There should be no reason to use it anymore since GDAL supports out of the
> box (and probably in a more efficient way) all the raster formats the OGDI
> bridge offers: ADRG, DTED and RPF (CADRG/CIB)

Probably that's fine - in case that legacy data need to be converted
one could still go back to an older GDAL version.

Best,
Markus

--
Markus Neteler, PhD
http://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software

On jeudi 12 octobre 2017 17:29:56 CEST Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 2:24 PM, Even Rouault

> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Hi,

> > I propose to remove the raster OGDI driver from trunk (the vector OGDI

> > driver is still useful for VMAP/VPF/DCW)

> > There should be no reason to use it anymore since GDAL supports out of the

> > box (and probably in a more efficient way) all the raster formats the OGDI

> > bridge offers: ADRG, DTED and RPF (CADRG/CIB)

> Probably that's fine - in case that legacy data need to be converted

> one could still go back to an older GDAL version.

Or make the needed fixes in the GDAL drivers. But OGDI is less than maintained, so I strongly think that the corresponding GDAL own drivers are more capable.

One thing that makes me think that the raster OGDI driver isn't used is that nobody has raised bugs on it in recent years as far as I can remember, and I don't believe in perfect software. Something that is used inevitably generates bug reports (valid or invalid), questions, enhancement requests, etc..

On mercredi 11 octobre 2017 14:24:59 CEST Even Rouault wrote:

> Hi,

> I propose to remove the raster OGDI driver from trunk (the vector OGDI

> driver is still useful for VMAP/VPF/DCW)

> There should be no reason to use it anymore since GDAL supports out of the

> box (and probably in a more efficient way) all the raster formats the OGDI

> bridge offers: ADRG, DTED and RPF (CADRG/CIB)

> So speak up now if you see a strong reason to keep it alive.

I've just removed the driver from trunk per

https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/7087

Even

http://www.spatialys.com