[gdal-dev] Problem with Perl module Geo:GDAL: undefined symbol: GTIFNewEx

[gdal-dev] Problem with Perl module Geo:GDAL: undefined symbol: GTIFNewEx

Hernán De Angelis-4
Dear all (but particularly users and developer of Perl module Geo::GDAL),

I have resumed work in a project that has been in standstill for about
two years. The workflow involves some Perl scripts that read and process
properties of satellite images using the module Geo::GDAL. These scripts
worked fine last time they were run (Dec 2016) but that was of course
with different versions of everything. I am now getting this error when
executing one of these scripts:

perl: symbol lookup error: ../../libgdal.so: undefined symbol: GTIFNewEx

I wonder if I maybe doing something wrong, or there is something else. I
see that GTIFNewEx was added to libgeotiff in Jun 2017 (*). Maybe this
change has not been dealt with in newer versions of Geo::GDAL?

Using GDAL 2.4.0, libgeotiff 1.4.3, and Perl 5.28.0 in openSUSE 15.0

Thanks!

Hernán

(*) https://svn.osgeo.org/metacrs/geotiff/trunk/libgeotiff/ChangeLog

Re: Problem with Perl module Geo:GDAL: undefined symbol: GTIFNewEx

Ari Jolma-2
Hernán De Angelis kirjoitti 11.2.2019 klo 19.01:

> Dear all (but particularly users and developer of Perl module Geo::GDAL),
>
> I have resumed work in a project that has been in standstill for about
> two years. The workflow involves some Perl scripts that read and
> process properties of satellite images using the module Geo::GDAL.
> These scripts worked fine last time they were run (Dec 2016) but that
> was of course with different versions of everything. I am now getting
> this error when executing one of these scripts:
>
> perl: symbol lookup error: ../../libgdal.so: undefined symbol: GTIFNewEx

This sounds like your Perl bindings and the main GDAL library are not in
sync, and since it is missing something, then the Perl bindings are
newer than the GDAL library. Maybe you updated GDAL and its Perl
bindings but there is still an old libgdal.so in you system?

Ari