[gdal-dev] Problem reading JPEG image format

[gdal-dev] Problem reading JPEG image format

akshay gupta
Hi all,

I am having problems trying to read .jpg images using gdal. Using GDAL I am  able to read jpg images using GA_ReadOnly mode but  in GA_Update mode its giving errors. Can any one tell me what might be the problem, and suggest me a turnaround to open jpg image in update mode.

Thanks in advance,
Akhy Hückelheim

Re: Problem reading JPEG image format

chaitanya_ch
Akshay,

Please provide some more details including the error messages and the driver you used, etc. Setting the CPL_DEBUG env variable before running the process can provide more details.

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 1:15 PM, akshay gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I am having problems trying to read .jpg images using gdal. Using GDAL I am  able to read jpg images using GA_ReadOnly mode but  in GA_Update mode its giving errors. Can any one tell me what might be the problem, and suggest me a turnaround to open jpg image in update mode.

Thanks in advance,
Akhy Hückelheim

Chaitanya kumar CH.

+91-9494447584
17.2416N 80.1426E

Re: Problem reading JPEG image format

Even Rouault
Selon akshay gupta <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> I am having problems trying to read .jpg images using gdal. Using GDAL I
> am  able to read jpg images using GA_ReadOnly mode but  in GA_Update mode
> its giving errors. Can any one tell me what might be the problem, and
> suggest me a turnaround to open jpg image in update mode.

It is expected and there is no support for opening a JPEG image in update mode.
The JPEG format is essentially read-only or write-only. You cannot modify the
imagery in place without regenerating a full file. You can use the CreateCopy()
method of the JPEG driver for that.