[gdal-dev] Problem reading JP2

Erik Heinz-3
Hi everyone,

recently I downloaded a free 1:1000000 map of France from
http://professionnels.ign.fr/. The map comes in tiles supposed to be in
JPEG 2000 Part 1 format. "file" utility says "JPEG 2000 Part 1 (JP2)" and
the file name ending is .jp2.

My GDAL (version 2.2.3) was compiled against a patched Jasper library
(jasper-1.900.1.uuid) and pretends to be able to read .jp2.

When I try gdalinfo on one of this tiles, however, it says:

  terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::length_error'
    what():  basic_string::_S_create
  Aborted

Is this a known issue? Is there a solution?

I could provide sample files per E-mail on request. Public distribution is
probably not allowed - my knowledge of French is too limited to be sure
about that.

Thanks in advance, and best regards,
Erik

Re: Problem reading JP2

Even Rouault-2

Erik,

> recently I downloaded a free 1:1000000 map of France from

> http://professionnels.ign.fr/. The map comes in tiles supposed to be in

> JPEG 2000 Part 1 format. "file" utility says "JPEG 2000 Part 1 (JP2)" and

> the file name ending is .jp2.

> My GDAL (version 2.2.3) was compiled against a patched Jasper library

> (jasper-1.900.1.uuid) and pretends to be able to read .jp2.

> When I try gdalinfo on one of this tiles, however, it says:

> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::length_error'

> what(): basic_string::_S_create

> Aborted

> Is this a known issue?

Likely, Jasper can only handle images that fit entirely in RAM and has a number of limitations.

> Is there a solution?

Yes, use another Jpeg2000 driver. OpenJPEG should be able to handle such images. Otherwise there are the drivers based on the proprietary SDKs. See

http://gdal.org/formats_list.html

Even

http://www.spatialys.com