[gdal-dev] Placemark With Two Geometries Is Not Processed

[gdal-dev] Placemark With Two Geometries Is Not Processed

archgnulinux
Hey all,

I'm attempting to process some KML files from an outside source and
sometimes a <Placemark> will contain two <MultiGeometry> blocks.

GDAL will not process these placemarks: layer.GetNextFeature() will return
null, and GetLastErrorMsg() returns an empty string.

I've attached a sample file "broken.kml", along with two copies in which
one of the geometry blocks was deleted. GDAL processes these "part*.kml"
files correctly.

Google Earth uses the last geometry and ignores the others. Are there any
settings I could use to get GDAL to exhibit the same behavior?

Philip Kahly
Software Engineer

broken.kml (20K) Download Attachment
part1.kml (10K) Download Attachment
part2.kml (10K) Download Attachment

Re: Placemark With Two Geometries Is Not Processed

Even Rouault-2

On mercredi 15 février 2017 16:21:09 CET Kahly, Philip D. wrote:

> Hey all,

> I'm attempting to process some KML files from an outside source and

> sometimes a <Placemark> will contain two <MultiGeometry> blocks.

> GDAL will not process these placemarks: layer.GetNextFeature() will return

> null, and GetLastErrorMsg() returns an empty string.

> I've attached a sample file "broken.kml", along with two copies in which

> one of the geometry blocks was deleted. GDAL processes these "part*.kml"

> files correctly.

> Google Earth uses the last geometry and ignores the others. Are there any

> settings I could use to get GDAL to exhibit the same behavior?

Philip,

From a quick try, I'd say that you must use the "old" KML driver. With the LIBKML driver, the reported geometry is the last one.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Placemark With Two Geometries Is Not Processed

archgnulinux
Even Rouault-2 wrote
From a quick try, I'd say that you must use the "old" KML driver. With the LIBKML driver, the
reported geometry is the last one.
Thanks, I am using the "old" KML driver.

I tried to compile LIBKML for Windows awhile back but had quite a bit of trouble.
I'll give it another try...

Do you know of any distributions of GDAL with LIBKML?

Philip

On mercredi 15 février 2017 10:08:01 CET archgnulinux wrote:

> Even Rouault-2 wrote

> > From a quick try, I'd say that you must use the "old" KML driver. With the

> > LIBKML driver, the

> > reported geometry is the last one.

> Thanks, I am using the "old" KML driver.

> I tried to compile LIBKML for Windows awhile back but had quite a bit of

> trouble.

> I'll give it another try...

> Do you know of any distributions of GDAL with LIBKML?

You mention Windows, but your nickname is archgnulinux... So assuming the later, the GDAL 2.1.2 package in UbuntuGIS unstable for Xenial is built against libkml.

And I also see that the GDAL package in OSGEO4W has the libkml dependency.

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Placemark With Two Geometries Is Not Processed

archgnulinux
Even Rouault-2 wrote
You mention Windows, but your nickname is archgnulinux... So assuming the later, the GDAL 2.1.2 package in UbuntuGIS unstable for Xenial is built against libkml.
And I also see that the GDAL package in OSGEO4W has the libkml dependency.
Unfortunately, I have to use Windows for this...

OSGEO4W didn't have the 2.1 version, but I found a package on GISInternals and it works.

Thanks for you help.

Philip

On mercredi 15 février 2017 11:27:54 CET archgnulinux wrote:

> Even Rouault-2 wrote

> > You mention Windows, but your nickname is archgnulinux... So assuming the

> > later, the GDAL 2.1.2 package in UbuntuGIS unstable for Xenial is built

> > against libkml.

> > And I also see that the GDAL package in OSGEO4W has the libkml dependency.

> Unfortunately, I have to use Windows for this...

> OSGEO4W didn't have the 2.1 version

It does. It has 2.1.3

http://www.spatialys.com