Quantcast

[gdal-dev] PDF selective layer sample wanted

[gdal-dev] PDF selective layer sample wanted

Rahkonen Jukka (Tike)
Hi,

This changeset looks interesting
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/24069

Is there any such PDF sample file available?

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Re: PDF selective layer sample wanted

Brent Fraser
If you're looking for a geospatial pdf with layers, the Canadian
government publishes some of their topographic maps as pdf.  Here's a
link to one:

ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/cantopo/50k_geopdf/085/b/cantopo_085b14_geopdf.zip

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser

On 3/5/2012 1:29 AM, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This changeset looks interesting
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/24069
>
> Is there any such PDF sample file available?
>
> -Jukka Rahkonen-

[gdal-dev] Re: PDF selective layer sample wanted

Rahkonen Jukka (Tike)
Brent Fraser <bfraser <at> geoanalytic.com> writes:

> If you're looking for a geospatial pdf with layers, the Canadian
> government publishes some of their topographic maps as pdf.  Here's
> link to one:
>
> ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/cantopo/50k_geopdf/085/
b/cantopo_085b14_geopdf.zip

Thanks for the answer. I do already have geospatial pdf files with layers.
What I am after is geospatial pdf files with layers and created with GDAL.
I can now make pdf files with layers with SkyJUMP GIS and geospatial pdf
files with GDAL but I got hungry and want them both together.

-Jukka-

Re: PDF selective layer sample wanted

Brent Fraser
I thought the PDF driver was read-only.  Does the changeset include the
creation of a geospatial pdf?

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser

On 3/5/2012 7:59 AM, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:

> Brent Fraser<bfraser<at>  geoanalytic.com>  writes:
>
>> If you're looking for a geospatial pdf with layers, the Canadian
>> government publishes some of their topographic maps as pdf.  Here's
>> link to one:
>>
>> ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/cantopo/50k_geopdf/085/
> b/cantopo_085b14_geopdf.zip
>
> Thanks for the answer. I do already have geospatial pdf files with layers.
> What I am after is geospatial pdf files with layers and created with GDAL.
> I can now make pdf files with layers with SkyJUMP GIS and geospatial pdf
> files with GDAL but I got hungry and want them both together.
>
> -Jukka-

[gdal-dev] Re: PDF selective layer sample wanted

Rahkonen Jukka (Tike)
Brent Fraser <bfraser <at> geoanalytic.com> writes:

> I thought the PDF driver was read-only.  Does the changeset include the
> creation of a geospatial pdf?

Read thread "Trouble with georeferenced PDF" from couple of days ago. Here is
also a new sample which is created with Mapserver from trunk and it contains
vector graphics. Metadata is in OGC_BP format and you'll need TerraGo toolbar
for seeing the coordinates. Zoom in and enjoy.

http://latuviitta.org/documents/Lahti_geospat.pdf

-Jukka-

Re: PDF selective layer sample wanted

Brent Fraser
Cool.  Now if we could get it writing vectors...

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser

On 3/5/2012 8:10 AM, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:

> Brent Fraser<bfraser<at>  geoanalytic.com>  writes:
>
>> I thought the PDF driver was read-only.  Does the changeset include the
>> creation of a geospatial pdf?
> Read thread "Trouble with georeferenced PDF" from couple of days ago. Here is
> also a new sample which is created with Mapserver from trunk and it contains
> vector graphics. Metadata is in OGC_BP format and you'll need TerraGo toolbar
> for seeing the coordinates. Zoom in and enjoy.
>
> http://latuviitta.org/documents/Lahti_geospat.pdf
>
> -Jukka-

Re: PDF selective layer sample wanted

Rahkonen Jukka (Tike)
Hi,

I did mean that with "contains vector graphics" and "zoom in and enjoy".

-Jukka-

Brent Fraser wrote:

> Cool.  Now if we could get it writing vectors...
>
> Best Regards,
> Brent Fraser
>

> On 3/5/2012 8:10 AM, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
> > Brent Fraser<bfraser<at>  geoanalytic.com>  writes:
> >
> >> I thought the PDF driver was read-only.  Does the
> changeset include the
> >> creation of a geospatial pdf?
> > Read thread "Trouble with georeferenced PDF" from couple of
> days ago. Here is
> > also a new sample which is created with Mapserver from
> trunk and it contains
> > vector graphics. Metadata is in OGC_BP format and you'll
> need TerraGo toolbar
> > for seeing the coordinates. Zoom in and enjoy.
> >
> > http://latuviitta.org/documents/Lahti_geospat.pdf
> >
> > -Jukka-

Re: PDF selective layer sample wanted

Brent Fraser
I need more coffee.  Thanks!

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser

On 3/5/2012 8:22 AM, Rahkonen Jukka wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did mean that with "contains vector graphics" and "zoom in and enjoy".
>
> -Jukka-
>
> Brent Fraser wrote:
>> Cool.  Now if we could get it writing vectors...
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Brent Fraser

>> changeset include the
>>> Read thread "Trouble with georeferenced PDF" from couple of
>> days ago. Here is
>>> also a new sample which is created with Mapserver from
>> trunk and it contains
>>> vector graphics. Metadata is in OGC_BP format and you'll
>> need TerraGo toolbar
>>> for seeing the coordinates. Zoom in and enjoy.
>>>
>>> http://latuviitta.org/documents/Lahti_geospat.pdf
>>>
>>> -Jukka-

Re: PDF selective layer sample wanted

Newcomb, Doug

>Hi,

>I did mean that with "contains vector graphics" and "zoom in and enjoy".

>-Jukka-

Does that also mean extract vector layers from a geopdf and save out as shapefile ?  For those of us trying to translate government-distributed data into something useable....

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 [hidden email]
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.

Re: PDF selective layer sample wanted

Even Rouault
Le lundi 05 mars 2012 15:59:57, Jukka Rahkonen a écrit :

> Brent Fraser <bfraser <at> geoanalytic.com> writes:
> > If you're looking for a geospatial pdf with layers, the Canadian
> > government publishes some of their topographic maps as pdf.  Here's

> > link to one:
> >
> > ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/cantopo/50k_geopdf/085/
>
> b/cantopo_085b14_geopdf.zip
>
> Thanks for the answer. I do already have geospatial pdf files with layers.
> What I am after is geospatial pdf files with layers and created with GDAL.
> I can now make pdf files with layers with SkyJUMP GIS and geospatial pdf
> files with GDAL but I got hungry and want them both together.

There's no support for generating PDF layers in the GDAL or MapServer drivers.
Could be perhaps be done in GDAL, but it is not obvious which GDAL concept
would map to a PDF layer. As far as MapServer Cairo/PDF driver is concerned,
this is not technically feasable (without rewriting a new MapServer backend) :
the PDF code is generated by Cairo and, AFAIK, Cairo PDF backend doesn't
support layers.

Le lundi 05 mars 2012 19:11:57, [hidden email] a écrit :
> >Hi,
> >
> >I did mean that with "contains vector graphics" and "zoom in and enjoy".
> >
> >-Jukka-
>
> Does that also mean extract vector layers from a geopdf and save out as
> shapefile ?

1) PDF that make available attribute information on features must be generated
in a specific way, which is not the case of the MapServer Cairo/PDF backend.

2) In the case of PDF generated by other sources with attribute information on
features, a OGR PDF driver would be needed.

Even Rouault <even.rouault <at> mines-paris.org> writes:

> There's no support for generating PDF layers in the GDAL or MapServer drivers.
> Could be perhaps be done in GDAL, but it is not obvious which GDAL concept
> would map to a PDF layer. As far as MapServer Cairo/PDF driver is concerned,
> this is not technically feasable (without rewriting a new MapServer backend) :
> the PDF code is generated by Cairo and, AFAIK, Cairo PDF backend doesn't
> support layers.

I know only one open source GIS software which creates PDF files with layers. It
is SkyJUMP by Larry Becker and I have added a sample to Geoserver feature
suggestion some time ago
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-3640

The jira issue has has a sample image as an attachment
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/attachment/45741/SkyJUMP.pdf

and a comment that layers are selectable with Acrobat Reader but not with all
readers. I know that SkyJUMP is makind PDF with iText and layers are raster
layers. The image is fine and worth having a look.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Re: PDF selective layer sample wanted

Newcomb, Doug

Looks good!  Thanks for the link!

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 [hidden email]
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.

Jukka Rahkonen <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

03/05/2012 04:45 PM

cc