[gdal-dev] Opening a folder of shape files with different encoding as a data set

[gdal-dev] Opening a folder of shape files with different encoding as a data set

Lauri Kajan
Hi all,

Is it possible to define shape file encoding per layer when reading a folder/zip as a data set?

My current code reads a zip file containing shape files as a data set and then iterates containing layers. The problem I have is that the data provider changed their release so that shape files in zip may use different encoding.

Do I have any other solutions than opening each shape file separately?

Thanks,

-Lauri

Re: Opening a folder of shape files with different encoding as a data set

jratike80
Lauri Kajan wrote

> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to define shape file encoding per layer when reading a
> folder/zip as a data set?
>
> My current code reads a zip file containing shape files as a data set and
> then iterates containing layers. The problem I have is that the data
> provider changed their release so that shape files in zip may use
> different
> encoding.
>
> Do I have any other solutions than opening each shape file separately?
>

> Thanks,
>
> -Lauri

Hi,

I would have a try with OGR virtual format http://www.gdal.org/drv_vrt.html.
Include OpenOptions element on each layer and use the ENCODING OpenOption
http://www.gdal.org/drv_shapefile.html.

-Jukka Rahkonen-