[gdal-dev] Open Jpeg 2.3.0 and OPJ_NUM_THREADS

[gdal-dev] Open Jpeg 2.3.0 and OPJ_NUM_THREADS

N. Farah

Hi,

In http://gdal.org/frmt_jp2openjpeg.html under 'Thread Support' section there is the following:

"Starting with GDAL 2.3, this multi-threading at code-block level is automatically enabled by GDAL".

Was meant "Starting with OpenJpeg 2.3, ..." ?

If yes, was that enabling made in the 'OpenJpeg 2.3' library or was made in GDAL ?

Thanks

Noureddine Farah

Re: Open Jpeg 2.3.0 and OPJ_NUM_THREADS

Even Rouault-2

On mardi 31 octobre 2017 19:39:23 CET N. Farah wrote:

> Hi,

> In http://gdal.org/frmt_jp2openjpeg.html under 'Thread Support' section

> there is the following:

> "Starting with GDAL 2.3, this multi-threading at code-block level is

> automatically enabled by GDAL".

> Was meant "Starting with OpenJpeg 2.3, ..." ?

No, was meant starting with GDAL 2.3 (the current dev version). And that requires openjpeg >= 2.2 as well.

> If yes, was that enabling made in the 'OpenJpeg 2.3' library or was made in

> GDAL ?

openjpeg >= 2.2 (actually 2.1.2, but I restricted to 2.2 or later) brings multithreading decoding at codeblock level, and GDAL trunk automatically enables it.

So the doc is correct I think, but I know that those similar version numbers between GDAL and openjpeg can be confusing.

Bottom line: use the latest and greatest of both to get the better performance.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Open Jpeg 2.3.0 and OPJ_NUM_THREADS

N. Farah

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not using latest GDAL and was curious where that multi-threading enabling was made ? Was it some where in GDAL code or through an option in the openjpeg 2.3.0 API ?

Thanks

Noureddine Farah

On mardi 31 octobre 2017 19:39:23 CET N. Farah wrote:

> Hi,

> In http://gdal.org/frmt_jp2openjpeg.html under 'Thread Support' section

> there is the following:

> "Starting with GDAL 2.3, this multi-threading at code-block level is

> automatically enabled by GDAL".

> Was meant "Starting with OpenJpeg 2.3, ..." ?

No, was meant starting with GDAL 2.3 (the current dev version). And that requires openjpeg >= 2.2 as well.

> If yes, was that enabling made in the 'OpenJpeg 2.3' library or was made in

> GDAL ?

openjpeg >= 2.2 (actually 2.1.2, but I restricted to 2.2 or later) brings multithreading decoding at codeblock level, and GDAL trunk automatically enables it.

So the doc is correct I think, but I know that those similar version numbers between GDAL and openjpeg can be confusing.

Bottom line: use the latest and greatest of both to get the better performance.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Open Jpeg 2.3.0 and OPJ_NUM_THREADS

N. Farah

Looking at https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/frmts/openjpeg/openjpegdataset.cpp?rev=40418

I now see the GDAL made changes to enable multi-threading.

Thanks

Noureddine Farah