[gdal-dev] New error messages when writing Spatialite

[gdal-dev] New error messages when writing Spatialite

jratike80
Hi,

I noticed that ogr2ogr from GDAL 2.0-dev is nowadays printing error messages
which I have not seen before:

"CreateSpatialIndex() error: either "points"."GEOMETRY" isn't a Geometry
column or a SpatialIndex is already defined"

Conversion works OK but messages make some unnecessary noise. It looks there
comes a new message per every COMMIT;

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Re: New error messages when writing Spatialite

Even Rouault-2
Le mardi 24 mars 2015 14:14:25, Jukka Rahkonen a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that ogr2ogr from GDAL 2.0-dev is nowadays printing error
> messages which I have not seen before:
>
> "CreateSpatialIndex() error: either "points"."GEOMETRY" isn't a Geometry
> column or a SpatialIndex is already defined"
>
> Conversion works OK but messages make some unnecessary noise. It looks
> there comes a new message per every COMMIT;

Hi Jukka,

Now fixed in trunk.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Even Rouault wrote:

> Le mardi 24 mars 2015 14:14:25, Jukka Rahkonen a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that ogr2ogr from GDAL 2.0-dev is nowadays printing error
>> messages which I have not seen before:
>>
>> "CreateSpatialIndex() error: either "points"."GEOMETRY" isn't a
>> Geometry column or a SpatialIndex is already defined"
>>
>> Conversion works OK but messages make some unnecessary noise. It looks
>> there comes a new message per every COMMIT;

> Hi Jukka,

> Now fixed in trunk.

Did the error also mean that deferred creation of spatial index did not work but the index was created right ahead which makes initial insert slower?

-Jukka-

Le mardi 24 mars 2015 14:54:16, Rahkonen Jukka (MML) a écrit :

> Even Rouault wrote:
> > Le mardi 24 mars 2015 14:14:25, Jukka Rahkonen a écrit :
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I noticed that ogr2ogr from GDAL 2.0-dev is nowadays printing error
> >> messages which I have not seen before:
> >>
> >> "CreateSpatialIndex() error: either "points"."GEOMETRY" isn't a
> >> Geometry column or a SpatialIndex is already defined"
> >>
> >> Conversion works OK but messages make some unnecessary noise. It looks
> >> there comes a new message per every COMMIT;
> >
> > Hi Jukka,
> >
> > Now fixed in trunk.
>
> Did the error also mean that deferred creation of spatial index did not
> work but the index was created right ahead which makes initial insert
> slower?

No, the error was due to the spatial index being attempted to create twice,
the first one when ogr2ogr commits the dataset transaction, and the other one
when it closes the datasource.
I've actually just added an extra changeset since if there are more than 20000
features, the creation of the spatial index at COMMIT time would actually slow
down things.

http://www.spatialys.com

Even Rouault <even.rouault <at> spatialys.com> writes:

> I've actually just added an extra changeset since if there are more than
20000
> features, the creation of the spatial index at COMMIT time would actually
slow
> down things.

I know, I was just experimenting with 12 GB OSM pbf file. Without index the
initial conversion is more than 10 times faster and in addition by creating
the spatial index as final step the SQLite database will be much less
fragmented.

-Jukka-