[gdal-dev] Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers

[gdal-dev] Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers

Even Rouault-2
Hi,

I've updated both the RFC text and candidate implementation with the
provided comments, so I think we are now good to vote on it.

~~~~~~

Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers:
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/7b7ecbab1e2b10ecab24e5126d94469d2d4efdc9/gdal/doc/source/development/rfc/rfc76_ogrpythondrivers.rst

~~~~~~

Starting with my +1,

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers

deduikertjes
Even,

Great!
Of course my +1

MArco

On 13-11-19 15:22, Even Rouault wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've updated both the RFC text and candidate implementation with the
> provided comments, so I think we are now good to vote on it.
>
> ~~~~~~
>
> Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/7b7ecbab1e2b10ecab24e5126d94469d2d4efdc9/gdal/doc/source/development/rfc/rfc76_ogrpythondrivers.rst
>
> ~~~~~~
>
> Starting with my +1,
>
> Even

Re: Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers

jratike80
+1

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Even Rouault-2 wrote

> Hi,
>
> I've updated both the RFC text and candidate implementation with the
> provided comments, so I think we are now good to vote on it.
>
> ~~~~~~
>
> Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/7b7ecbab1e2b10ecab24e5126d94469d2d4efdc9/gdal/doc/source/development/rfc/rfc76_ogrpythondrivers.rst
>
> ~~~~~~
>
> Starting with my +1,

Re: Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers

Raymond Nijssen
Even,

Great work, thank you so much!

+1

Raymond

On 13-11-19 15:22, Even Rouault wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've updated both the RFC text and candidate implementation with the
> provided comments, so I think we are now good to vote on it.
>
> ~~~~~~
>
> Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/7b7ecbab1e2b10ecab24e5126d94469d2d4efdc9/gdal/doc/source/development/rfc/rfc76_ogrpythondrivers.rst
>
> ~~~~~~
>
> Starting with my +1,
>
> Even

Re: Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers

Mateusz Loskot
+1

Mateusz

Even Rouault-2 wrote

> Hi,
>
> I've updated both the RFC text and candidate implementation with the
> provided comments, so I think we are now good to vote on it.
>
> ~~~~~~
>
> Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/7b7ecbab1e2b10ecab24e5126d94469d2d4efdc9/gdal/doc/source/development/rfc/rfc76_ogrpythondrivers.rst
>
> ~~~~~~

Re: Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers

Howard Butler-3
+0.

I worry this will rot, and I worry people will start distributing drivers based on it and adding a lot of complexity for users. A note stating that the project is not going to distribute Python-based drivers as part of its baseline would make our intentions clear, but that isn't going to prevent anyone else from doing it.

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 4:39 AM Mateusz Loskot <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

Mateusz

Even Rouault-2 wrote

On jeudi 14 novembre 2019 08:11:19 CET Howard Butler wrote:
> +0.
>
> I worry this will rot, and I worry people will start distributing drivers
> based on it and adding a lot of complexity for users. A note stating that
> the project is not going to distribute Python-based drivers as part of its
> baseline would make our intentions clear,

That note has been added in the intro of the tutorial:
https://github.com/rouault/gdal/blob/pythondrivers/gdal/doc/source/tutorials/vector_python_driver.rst

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers

jratike80

I am not so worried. The alternative for people possibly interested in
building experimental Python drivers is not to make a new thoroughly tested
C++ plugin into GDAL core. Rather they will make experimental processes by
some other means. I am just discussing with someone who has made Mapserver
to send a requst to php service that asks gdal_polygonize to do some
processing and sends the result back to Mapserver via WFS. The use case and
result is quite unique. The process made into a GDAL Python driver would
probably be more easy to share with the community for re-use than as it
stands now. If the plugins are not delivered by GDAL project, are they so
much different than python scripts that can be found from the web? We must
not forget the possibility that even good things may happen and someone
writes some day a good GDAL Python driver.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Howard Butler-3 wrote
> +0.
>
> I worry this will rot, and I worry people will start distributing drivers
> based on it and adding a lot of complexity for users. A note stating that
> the project is not going to distribute Python-based drivers as part of its
> baseline would make our intentions clear, but that isn't going to prevent
> anyone else from doing it.
>
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 4:39 AM Mateusz Loskot &lt;

> mateusz@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Mateusz
>>

>> Even Rouault-2 wrote
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've updated both the RFC text and candidate implementation with the
>> > provided comments, so I think we are now good to vote on it.
>> >
>> > ~~~~~~
>> >
>> > Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers:
>> >
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/7b7ecbab1e2b10ecab24e5126d94469d2d4efdc9/gdal/doc/source/development/rfc/rfc76_ogrpythondrivers.rst
>> >
>> > ~~~~~~
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GDAL-Dev-f3742093.html

Re: Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers

Daniel Morissette
+1

Daniel

--
Daniel Morissette
Mapgears Inc

Re: Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers

Even Rouault-2
I declare the motion passed with the following votes from PSC members:
+1 from EvenR, JukkaR, MateuzL, DanielM
-0 from SeanG
+0 from HowardB

Even

On vendredi 15 novembre 2019 18:03:07 CET Even Rouault wrote:
> I declare the motion passed with the following votes from PSC members:
> +1 from EvenR, JukkaR, MateuzL, DanielM
> -0 from SeanG
> +0 from HowardB

RFC76 implementation is now available in master

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers

deduikertjes
RFC76 implementation is now available in master

Even

--

I used the Dockerfile from
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/tree/master/gdal/docker/ubuntu-full

In this I ran the autotest pytest -vvs ogr/ succesfully.

However, trying to use the drivers from command line fails.

I've tried  things like

   gdalinfo --config GDAL_PYTHON_DRIVER_PATH ./pydrivers/ --formats | grep
DUMMY
   gdalinfo --config GDAL_PYTHON_DRIVER_PATH "/python_drivers/" --formats |
grep JSON
   gdalinfo --config GDAL_PYTHON_DRIVER_PATH "/python_drivers/" test.json

All these are failing. The first two don't have any of the example drivers
in the format list, the last fails with the well know error for not having
the correct driver for the dataset.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, MArco

Re: Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers

Even Rouault-2
Marco,

> I used the Dockerfile from
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/tree/master/gdal/docker/ubuntu-full
> to build a container from master. I copied in all example drivers and an
> example cityjson file.
>
> In this I ran the autotest pytest -vvs ogr/ succesfully.
>
> However, trying to use the drivers from command line fails.
>
> I've tried  things like
>
>    gdalinfo --config GDAL_PYTHON_DRIVER_PATH ./pydrivers/ --formats | grep
> DUMMY
>    gdalinfo --config GDAL_PYTHON_DRIVER_PATH "/python_drivers/" --formats |
> grep JSON
>    gdalinfo --config GDAL_PYTHON_DRIVER_PATH "/python_drivers/" test.json
>
> All these are failing. The first two don't have any of the example drivers
> in the format list, the last fails with the well know error for not having
> the correct driver for the dataset.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Probably some issue with the path you set:

From the gdal/ subdirectory of a git checkout of GDAL, the following

$ docker run --rm -v /home:/home osgeo/gdal:ubuntu-full-latest ogrinfo --config GDAL_PYTHON_DRIVER_PATH $PWD/examples/pydrivers --format CityJSON

returns

Format Details:
  Short Name: CityJSON
  Long Name: CityJSON
  Supports: Vector
  Extension: json
  Supports: Open() - Open existing dataset.
  Supports: Virtual IO - eg. /vsimem/
  Other metadata items:
    DRIVER_LANGUAGE=PYTHON

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers

deduikertjes
Even,

Thanks but ...

xxxx/gdal$ docker run --rm -v /home:/home osgeo/gdal:ubuntu-full-latest
ogrinfo --config GDAL_PYTHON_DRIVER_PATH $PWD/examples/pydrivers
--format CityJSON
ERROR 1: --format option given with format 'CityJSON', but that format not
recognised.  Use the --formats option to get a list of available formats,
and use the short code (i.e. GTiff or HFA) as the format identifier.

I did try all sorts of quoting of options and so on with the expected
variety of error messages.

(Docker version 18.09.5, build e8ff056)

Marco

On 09-12-19 18:23, Even Rouault wrote:

> Marco,
>
>> I used the Dockerfile from
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/tree/master/gdal/docker/ubuntu-full
>> to build a container from master. I copied in all example drivers and an
>> example cityjson file.
>>
>> In this I ran the autotest pytest -vvs ogr/ succesfully.
>>
>> However, trying to use the drivers from command line fails.
>>
>> I've tried  things like
>>
>>     gdalinfo --config GDAL_PYTHON_DRIVER_PATH ./pydrivers/ --formats | grep
>> DUMMY
>>     gdalinfo --config GDAL_PYTHON_DRIVER_PATH "/python_drivers/" --formats |
>> grep JSON
>>     gdalinfo --config GDAL_PYTHON_DRIVER_PATH "/python_drivers/" test.json
>>
>> All these are failing. The first two don't have any of the example drivers
>> in the format list, the last fails with the well know error for not having
>> the correct driver for the dataset.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
> Probably some issue with the path you set:
>
>  From the gdal/ subdirectory of a git checkout of GDAL, the following
>
> $ docker run --rm -v /home:/home osgeo/gdal:ubuntu-full-latest ogrinfo --config GDAL_PYTHON_DRIVER_PATH $PWD/examples/pydrivers --format CityJSON
>
> returns
>
> Format Details:
>    Short Name: CityJSON
>    Long Name: CityJSON
>    Supports: Vector
>    Extension: json
>    Supports: Open() - Open existing dataset.
>    Supports: Virtual IO - eg. /vsimem/
>    Other metadata items:
>      DRIVER_LANGUAGE=PYTHON
>
> Even

Re: Motion: adopt RFC 76 OGR Python drivers

deduikertjes
Even,

xxx/gdal/gdal docker run --rm -v /home:/home
osgeo/gdal:ubuntu-full-latest ogrinfo --config GDAL_PYTHON_DRIVER_PATH
$PWD/examples/pydrivers --format CityJSON

works.
Sorry for the noise ...

MArco