[gdal-dev] Motion: Promote GDAL 2.5.0 rc1 for release

[gdal-dev] Motion: Promote GDAL 2.5.0 rc1 for release

Even Rouault-2
Hi,

Motion: GDAL/OGR 2.5.0 rc1 is promoted to be the official 2.5.0 final release.

-------

My vote: +1

-------

A few bugs were discovered since rc1 (one of them in the new TileDB driver),
but none of them are 2.5 specific regressions, so this is just business as
usual and fixes will go into the first micro release.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Motion: Promote GDAL 2.5.0 rc1 for release

Sean Gillies-3
Even,

Did you give any more thought to calling this release 3.0 because of the breaking changes? Too late for that?

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 8:56 AM Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Motion: GDAL/OGR 2.5.0 rc1 is promoted to be the official 2.5.0 final release.

-------

My vote: +1

-------

A few bugs were discovered since rc1 (one of them in the new TileDB driver),
but none of them are 2.5 specific regressions, so this is just business as
usual and fixes will go into the first micro release.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Sean Gillies

Re: Motion: Promote GDAL 2.5.0 rc1 for release

Norman Barker-2
Hi Even,

who is eligible to vote? FWIW I amĀ +1 if I am eligible.

Norman

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 9:56 AM Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Motion: GDAL/OGR 2.5.0 rc1 is promoted to be the official 2.5.0 final release.

-------

My vote: +1

-------

A few bugs were discovered since rc1 (one of them in the new TileDB driver),
but none of them are 2.5 specific regressions, so this is just business as
usual and fixes will go into the first micro release.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Motion: Promote GDAL 2.5.0 rc1 for release

jmckenna
Administrator
On 2019-05-01 11:56 AM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Motion: GDAL/OGR 2.5.0 rc1 is promoted to be the official 2.5.0 final release.

+1  jeff

Re: Motion: Promote GDAL 2.5.0 rc1 for release

Even Rouault-2
Sean,

> Did you give any more thought to calling this release 3.0 because of the
> breaking changes? Too late for that?

Yes, that would be a bit annoying to rename it now, at least in terms of
communication since GDAL 2.5 is already known to be the version with the SRS
revamp. Would have been more appropriate to raise this at the time RFC 73 was
discussed.

Re-reading our HOWTO-RELEASE, we should indeed probably have named it GDAL
3.0. But even if we add kept the few functions that have been removed, the
change of behaviour of a few ones is an interesting case of what is considered
part of the API or not...

On mercredi 1 mai 2019 12:05:20 CEST Norman Barker wrote:
> Hi Even,
>
> who is eligible to vote? FWIW I am +1 if I am eligible.

This is mentionned in the project steering committee rules of
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc1_pmc

"6. Anyone may comment on proposals on the list, but only members of the
Project Management Committee's votes will be counted."

So your feedback is welcome.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Motion: Promote GDAL 2.5.0 rc1 for release

Daniel Morissette
I have been wondering about calling it 3.0 as well. How much
communication about 2.5 are you alluding to?

Is it more work to relay that 2.5 had a very short lifespan (i.e. never
released) and then we went straight to 3.0, or to spend the next few
years explaining why 2.4 and 2.5 are not compatible?

--
Daniel Morissette
Mapgears Inc

On mercredi 1 mai 2019 14:22:37 CEST Daniel Morissette wrote:
> I have been wondering about calling it 3.0 as well. How much
> communication about 2.5 are you alluding to?

Here, a few blog posts, twitter, a few bug trackers of other projects. Not a
massive PR campaign on TV for sure :-)

> Is it more work to relay that 2.5 had a very short lifespan (i.e. never
> released) and then we went straight to 3.0, or to spend the next few
> years explaining why 2.4 and 2.5 are not compatible?

Point taken. I'm going to start a dedicated thread about that.

Even

On mercredi 1 mai 2019 16:56:03 CEST Even Rouault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Motion: GDAL/OGR 2.5.0 rc1 is promoted to be the official 2.5.0 final
> release.

Due to the discussion about adopting 3.0 as version number instead, I change
my vote to -1 and withdraw this motion.

I'll prepare a 3.0.0RC1

Even

http://www.spatialys.com